• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fun threads

[quote="JennyH94,

I make a tropical version which has shredded coconut and lime rind in the pikelet mix. I serve the pikelets with a spoonful of lime curd and a dollop of whipped cream - fabulous!

Tia - the Dulce de Leche sounds beautiful and really versatile! Thanks for this tip. It would be a great topping on the pikelets, again with a dollop of cream and a slice of banana. I'll look out for it at our speciality food stores.[/quote

Right! That 's it! Enough is enough! My tummy is rumbling! Looking to books flight to Oz now Jenny, get those pike lets in the oven. See you soon.;)

Send me a PM when you're on your way John and I'll start mixing the batter ! Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry, asking what is it? I want to think it's fish (we have pikes in Canada, so a little pike?) or something else...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are on page two of the thread JennieH94 has a very nice pic of them about six from the bottom of page one they are made of a batter like pancakes we have been drueling, meditating and goodness knows what else discussing these type of soft scrumptious delicious morish druelish, sorry type of cake ,

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Forgot this was a two-page topic! Thanks! So they are not fish, but something very delicious!!

Ah, I see. Forgot this was a two-page topic! Thanks! So they are not fish, but something very delicious!!

Yes with golden syrup read a bit further up there are several posts of ingrediants and recipe .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi Lynne - as pilgrim b explained, the pikelet batter is similar to a pancake batter and here in Australia they're typically an afternoon tea treat. Everyone, from the smallest tot, to our precious 'oldies', enjoys a pikelet. If you google 'pikelet images' you'll see that you can be really creative with toppings and even the colour of the batter itself ... I'm thinking blue and yellow 'Camino' pikelets! What a hit they'd be with hungry pilgrims at afternoon tea time!

I'm sure you'd have something similar in Canada ... what do you call them?

Here's another image of pikelets, spread with butter and sprinkled with 100's and 1,000's ... the littlies (and not-so littlies!) all love them!

images

Cheers!

Oooh, looks good!!! I especially love the idea of lime and cream! We have just regular pancakes here, flour/water/milk/butter/eggs (of course with Maple Syrup - which is de rigueur because we live in Canada!), but my husband is Finn and he makes pannukakua. A watery version that is kind of like a crepe. A big favorite in our family....Especially the next day when they are rolled up in peanut butter and jam or brown sugar and butter. Or whipped cream and strawberries.....
We are a decadent lot, aren't we?! It's a wonder we aren't rolling down the camino........... Rollin', rollin', rollin' down the camino.....

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oooh, looks good!!! I especially love the idea of lime and cream! We have just regular pancakes here, flour/water/milk/butter/eggs (of course with Maple Syrup - which is de rigueur because we live in Canada!), but my husband is Finn and he makes pannukakua. A watery version that is kind of like a crepe. A big favorite in our family....Especially the next day when they are rolled up in peanut butter and jam or brown sugar and butter. Or whipped cream and strawberries.....
We are a decadent lot, aren't we?! It's a wonder we aren't rolling down the camino........... Rollin', rollin', rollin' down the camino.....

Wow, Lynne! Pannakakua ... sounds gorgeous! I particularly love the idea of eating them the next day rolled up with peanut butter and jam or the brown sugar and butter - yummm.

Rollin', rollin', rollin' (down the Camino) - reminds me of the theme song from the old TV series 'Rawhide' ... perhaps some of the Forum wags can finish the sentence for some further amusement on this Fun Thread!

AKA Flapjacks!?!?:)
(the North American version).

oats 8onz butter3-4 onz golden syrup 2tspoons melt butter golden syrup add oats stir well with "the spoon" (then you can add dry fruit/nuts if required) spread in greased baking tin, bake @ 180 for 15/20 mins until golden. Cut into squares while warm lift out of tin when cool. Aka English Flapjacks, isn't this fun?

Last edited:
Strange that flapjack is a familiar word in the U.S. Most people could not tell you what they are ...except as another word for pancakes.
I dont think you hear the word except in old Western movies.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Amazing how different these Flapjacks are all over the world. In the UK they are a healthy nibble to eat with your flask of tea as you take a picnic out on your days walk!
Another delicious bite.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 5
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Would this be " The First Free Fully Functional Fromista Flapjack Fest ?
What about posting an ad here on the Forum to promote the FFFFFF - something along the lines of :
"Famished Forum Followers - for fabulous fun fly forthwith to Fromista for the First Free Fully Functional Fromista Flapjack Fest" ...

What about posting an ad here on the Forum to promote the FFFFFF - something along the lines of :
"Famished Forum Followers - for fabulous fun fly forthwith to Fromista for the First Free Fully Functional Fromista Flapjack Fest" ...

Er …..theres no answer to that :confused:

On the mlFourteenth of February .............which is on a Friday. :):)
Sorry I can't possibly make that date I shall be away :fitting five fast furry ferrits forcefully into a fully fifteen foot filthy foxhole in Flamborough :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Newsflash: Foxes forsake filthy foxholes in Flamborough, frightens farmer and family. :rolleyes:

So, Friday February Fourteenth Five forty five for "Famished Forum Followers - for fabulous fun fly forthwith to Fromista for the First Free Fully Functional Fromista Flapjack Fest" it is then, dont be late! :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
image.jpg

Foto from your Forum friend finding that the Camino is everywhere ... Even on Rotten Row in Hyde Park,London, today ... The happy couple I met when I took the photo wanted to wish everyone 'Buen Camino!'
Cheers!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 8198

Foto from your Forum friend finding that the Camino is everywhere ... Even on Rotten Row in Hyde Park,London, today ... The happy couple I met when I took the photo wanted to wish everyone 'Buen Camino!'
Cheers!

JennieH94 is this you telling us in a kinda like sideways way that you are here in the UK for our glorious spring drawing more arrows on the path around Hyde Park?

While we were walkin the Camino in 2012 we met a lovely girl from Hungary as we walked to Roncavellas, she was full of life, had a funny turn of phrase and loved to laugh, as time went on everyone we met on the trail seemed to know her. We would meet up with her every few days, she became one of our Camino family. When we reached Los Arcos we stayed inAlbergue de la Fuente Casa de Austria, it was fairly busy in our dorm and there was only the top bunk above me left. Well our friend arrived in the dorm about 6.00pm and after greeting us and most of the rest of the room which she seemed to know, she said "Patreek would it be ok if I sleep on top of you tonight" well the whole dorm cracked up. How could I possibly refuse a request like that and not wishing to be churlish I said yes. :)
This one is my favorite so far. Hilarious!

JennieH94 is this you telling us in a kinda like sideways way that you are here in the UK for our glorious spring drawing more arrows on the path around Hyde Park?

I am pilgrim b! Flew back here from Fromista Friday 14th Feb - the Flapjack Fest was fab!

Seriously, the reason I'm in London is to run a series of workshops at Lord's on the subject of "Letting Go Of Disappointment" - sold-out sessions with my participants who are a mixed group of failed English cricketers and Barmy Army sad sacks ...

'Hope those furry ferrets that you spoke of above didn't find any foxes!

Cheers!

I am pilgrim b! Flew back here from Fromista Friday 14th Feb - the Flapjack Fest was fab!

Seriously, the reason I'm in London is to run a series of workshops at Lord's on the subject of "Letting Go Of Disappointment" - sold-out sessions with my participants who are a mixed group of failed English cricketers and Barmy Army sad sacks ...

'Hope those furry ferrets that you spoke of above didn't find any foxes!

I see our lady won at the winter games we seem to be good at those she went down faster than fury ferrets follow foxes!

By the way is cricket the game they play with a hard ball or is that rounders? Is it that game when you have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.?
If it is, I don't like that hard ball, I always dropped it on purpose at school but I enjoyed walking both ways just not the bit in between.

Are you still in Uk then ?

Last edited:
I see our lady won at the winter games we seem to be good at those she went down faster than fury ferrets follow foxes!

By the way is cricket the game they play with a hard ball or is that rounders? Is it that game when you have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.?
If it is, I don't like that hard ball, I always dropped it on purpose at school but I enjoyed walking both ways just not the bit in between.

Are you still in Uk then ?

Maybe it's best for the Brits to rely on the 'gels' for the time being until all your lads can get themselves back into a winning frame of mind!
Thank you for the entertaining explanation re cricket etc - have you ever considered a role as a scriptwriter on 'Blandings'? You'd be a natural!
Glad to hear that your school days provide you with the odd happy memory pb!
Yes - in the UK all week - hoping for reasonable weather so I can get my workshop participants out on the cricket pitch for a "Face Your Fear" exercise ...

A special message of thanks to our dear Forum friend, pilgrim b in relation to his Yorkshire flapjack recipe so kindly shared earlier on in this thread -

Today husband Steve and I had a quick visit from his sister Lynne, and husband Ross, who called in to see us on their way through from Canberra to Sydney to see their son and his family. They didn't have much time, so we had all the fixings for a sandwich lunch ready, and a sweet treat to finish off lunch with ... yes! pilgrim b's Yorkshire flapjacks! They were absolutely gorgeous - so chewy and crunchy at the same time. Lynne demanded the recipe immediately!

Here's a couple of pics - the first one is a close-up of these baked gems, and the second one features Steve, Lynne and Ross, about to tuck in!

pilgrim b's Yorkshire flapjacks.jpg steve, lynne and ross.jpg

Thank you for sharing this fantastic recipe pilgrim b ... No need to wonder why they're so popular in Yorkshire and beyond!

Cheers - Jenny

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A special message of thanks to our dear Forum friend, pilgrim b in relation to his Yorkshire flapjack recipe so kindly shared earlier on in this thread -

Today husband Steve and I had a quick visit from his sister Lynne, and husband Ross, who called in to see us on their way through from Canberra to Sydney to see their son and his family. They didn't have much time, so we had all the fixings for a sandwich lunch ready, and a sweet treat to finish off lunch with ... yes! pilgrim b's Yorkshire flapjacks! They were absolutely gorgeous - so chewy and crunchy at the same time. Lynne demanded the recipe immediately!

Here's a couple of pics - the first one is a close-up of these baked gems, and the second one features Steve, Lynne and Ross, about to tuck in!

View attachment 9374 View attachment 9375

Thank you for sharing this fantastic recipe pilgrim b ... No need to wonder why they're so popular in Yorkshire and beyond!

Cheers - Jenny

Seeing as you enjoyed those delicacies so much JennieH94 Peregrina b thought you may consider making Yorkshire Brack are you ready here goes: Ingredients 8oz sultanas 4oz raisins 4oz currants 6oz demara sugar, a good quarter pint of hot Yorkshire tea one large egg 8oz selfraising flour.
Mix together Dry fruit sugar and hot tea cover and leave overnight. Then next day add the egg beat well then stir in the flour, grease one panloaf tin line the base with greeseproof paper, place mixture into the tin and bake for roughly one hour fifteen minutes at 160 c /325f /gas mark 3. Serve cold and buttered, keeps a long time in foil. (Fat free for Cardiac probs too) Oz tea will do if you can't get Yorkshire but must be hot to swell the fruit.

Hi peregrina b and pilgrim b - thank you so much for your Yorkshire Brack recipe. It sounds fantastic! I love anything with dried fruit - so delicious. I'll be making this recipe soon and will post a pic of it when I do.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just noticed this has had no posts since 2014 so the newcomers will not have had the benefit of some of these self deprecations.
i just started watching it since yesterday sir... i got stuck under 'red sockers rockers' which started by @domigee... thanks a million for her, my belly got exercise of too much laughter....

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.