• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Funnels

Icacos

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
....I didn't want to pin unmentionables to my pack.......
Likewise.....but I did one day pin my capri long underwear to my pack to dry. Earlier in the day I had inadvertently wet them while trying to 'go' while standing up using one of those contraptions that is meant to facilitate that process. (Obviously, I hadn't practised enough.) I had only the one pair of capri underwear and knew I would need them that night and the following morning, so I washed them at the next opportunity and hung them on my pack to dry while I walked. I was not about to waste that glorious sunshine. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Earlier in the day I had inadvertently wet them while trying to 'go' while standing up using one of those contraptions that is meant to facilitate that process.

Thought I was the only one who struggled with that. Ho ho. I tryed 2 different designs before I did my camino, but was never reliable enough to take them with me. I think they would have been great, but only if they/I were reliable!

Icacos you are a trouble maker I like that in a person :) but you should apologize anyway :) oh oh read really fast because this entry will be a goner LOL

Zzotte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thought I was the only one who struggled with that. Ho ho. I tryed 2 different designs before I did my camino, but was never reliable enough to take them with me. I think they would have been great, but only if they/I were reliable!
Practice is the key here. And it helps if one is not laughing hysterically while in the process. :p

IMHO those things don't work, based on 300 hours in fighters, 1200 hours in flight, 30 years of field exercises, four wars, and a bunch of marathons. I think one needs to either stick to the CF where bars are every 7km, or carefully titrate cafe con leche consumption. There's a reason they suggest practicing in the shower

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMHO those things don't work, based on 300 hours in fighters, 1200 hours in flight, 30 years of field exercises, four wars, and a bunch of marathons. I think one needs to either stick to the CF where bars are every 7km, or carefully titrate cafe con leche consumption. There's a reason they suggest practicing in the shower
I really shouldn't make fun about using these contraptions. It's one thing to use such a device while at leisure, but entirely another when having to rely on one during heavens-knows-what kind of duty; fighters, field exercises, wars. I have the greatest respect, and gratitude, for all you service women........and men.

I really shouldn't make fun about using these contraptions. It's one thing to use such a device while at leisure, but entirely another when having to rely on one during heavens-knows-what kind of duty; fighters, field exercises, wars. I have the greatest respect, and gratitude, for all you service women........and men.
Oh no please, we all laugh trying to figure things out as well...and if left to military need, well, nothing would be tried since in the US at least we are a tiny tiny minority. Thank goodness for female civilian campers/hikers/pilots etc...but those darned funnels still don't work :eek:
As one of the first females flying regularly in eagles and vipers, they had all :confused:sorts of ideas they wanted me to try...I will say my third sortie of the day was the closest I ever came to p**** envy.

Ah, they do if you get the very large type made for putting oil into a car - cheap as chips from the auto dealers! I found this by looking at the "in the field" tests done on a large backpacking forum. It scored the highest rating. Unfortunately, the only one I could find was bright yellow. Not exactly discrete.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a purple one that matches my backpack, thinking that if someone saw me from a distance, they'd just think they were seeing part of the pack. And I haven't had much trouble with it. But I left the case at home, as it just seemed too bulky and heavy. But even though I walked a route that didn't have neatly distributed bars, I only used it a few times. As I only used my trowel a few times.... I probably won't bother with the funnel next time.

Smallest_Sparrow, now I begin to see another level of meaning in your name...thank you...

And agree all of you about those funnels. Useless.
But here's a question to consider. It was posed to me first by one of my Burmese woman friends--and I have to admit that I was most resistant at first, because it just feels weird: but...Why do you need underwear? (Wait wait, before you throw rotten tomatoes my way...I know. This only applies if you wear a hiking skirt. If you have pants or shorts the need is obvious.)
But even if you usually do wear pants, try it--wear a skirt without them and notice how much cooler and more comfortable it is. It feels naked at first--but you eventually get used to it. And if you hike this way, the whole business of going is made immensely easier.
The kilt and macabee skirt threads are out there for all to read. I'd definitely recommend it. SO much easier.:D

Last edited:
I guess that's what I get, first they delete my entry and then I get moved to where? Funnels? Hahaha I must torqued someone off LOL I could say that I have a permanent one (funnel) but I will not they probably delete anyway LOL ai ai ai
Zzotte

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Smallest_Sparrow, now I begin to see another level of meaning in your name...thank you...

And agree all of you about those funnels. Useless.
But here's a question to consider. It was posed to me first by one of my Burmese woman friends--and I have to admit that I was most resistant at first, because it just feels weird: but...Why do you need underwear? (Wait wait, before you throw rotten tomatoes my way...I know. This only applies if you wear a hiking skirt. If you have pants or shorts the need is obvious.)
But even if you usually do wear pants, try it--wear a skirt without them and notice how much cooler and more comfortable it is. It feels naked at first--but you eventually get used to it. And if you hike this way, the whole business of going is made immensely easier.
The kilt and macabee skirt threads are out there for all to read. I'd definitely recommend it. SO much easier.:D
Liked your post viranini.i must be very ignorant on the ways of the world as I had to go on google and look up these funnels!! Did not have a clue!! Now I know!!! Would be a waste of space in my rucksack I'm afraid! Never have a problem re this on the Camino as I am quick as a flash!! I also take my tissues WITH me. Just saying!! For those that leave them behind. Not talking about anyone on this forum of course! Urine is not a toxic substance last time I heard as I've said before and even if the wind is howling a wet boot(oh yes, don't ask) won't kill me !!! Re the undies viranini, your suggestion is right up my street. Then again they not really needed for trousers either are they?? Enough said re this issue now!!!! Best wishes Annette

How the heck did I get hooked into reading all this funnel thing only to realise with the last poster, what the dickens you were all on about !!!!:confused:

Oh THAT sort of funnel!?!?!? Isn't the English language peculiar at times. And here, I thought folks were interested in a funnel to get liquids INTO a container. Seriously, I have to mix protein powder everyday, so YES I actually carry along a collapsible funnel.

So, just in case pilgrims like Pilgrim_b and I stagger this far, here is the small, indestructible collapsible funnel I use for pouring protein powder into my .5 liter water bottles each morning before I set out:

http://www.explosivepowersports.com...EvGWTShlBlJn2u_2TmpN2LCuXAsDh7zKLeBoCwO_w_wcB

It works as well for pouring water from a 3 - 5 liter jug into small mouthed bottles. I have also used it for wine...;)

I hope this helps...:D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There's no "flush" on it t2andreo! How could you possibly keep it fresh and clean?:confused:;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No longer a problem with my Macabi skirt - instant curtaining!
Yes, 'curtaining,' or lack of, is definitely an issue when using this contraption while wearing trousers. One either needs to be adept at trouser alterations, or we have to wait until the clothing manufacturers restructure the design of women's trousers.

Going without undies is called 'going commando'. I had to a couple of times when my limited supply of underwear was still drying on the back of my pack.

The funnel is called a shewee in England. Says it all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a brand of "funnel" sold at many outdoor shops, travel shops, and on line here in North America. It is called "Shewee."

I hope this helps.

Likewise.....but I did one day pin my capri long underwear to my pack to dry. Earlier in the day I had inadvertently wet them while trying to 'go' while standing up using one of those contraptions that is meant to facilitate that process. (Obviously, I hadn't practised enough.) I had only the one pair of capri underwear and knew I would need them that night and the following morning, so I washed them at the next opportunity and hung them on my pack to dry while I walked. I was not about to waste that glorious sunshine. :)
Hi there

Throw the bright yellow away and try this (see the photo). It is a flour container, I am not sure if you have the same in the US but I'm sure you find something similar. A wide mouth with a screw top lid. Also good for csmping if you don't want to leave your tent in the snow and get eaten by bears.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 18
I used my pstyle 2-3 times every day for 35 days. Fantastic device! I wish I brought five more to give to friends that I made. The only trouble I ran into was losing the ability to "hold it" when in the cities or having to wait in line at a bar.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there
.......... (see the photo). It is a flour container, .......... A wide mouth with a screw top lid. Also good for csmping if you don't want to leave your tent in the snow and get eaten by bears.
Oh, yes, I've heard about these containers. I've also heard that filling it in the middle of the night and not leaving any room in it for the next man is not the done thing. o_O:D

If you are going to obtain and carry along a purpose-built container like a jar, I recommend a male or female, plastic reusable and recyclable urinal. They are available at most medical supply shops, online, and in some larger pharmacies. Male truck drivers and pilots use them for long distance travel, where they cannot stop for a pee. Most have an attached cap.

Plus, most have a handle for convenience in handling, using and emptying. So you can easily rig a short bungee cord to air the thing out from your rucksack after use (and rinsing PLEASE). We do not want every fly in Spain following you along...

Yes, this is elaborate and perhaps even "over the top." However there are some folks who always have to know where the next loo is for medical reasons. It gets worse when you are older.

This should not be reason to NOT do a Camino. So I am including it as a resource of sorts.

I hope this helps,

I used my pstyle 2-3 times every day for 35 days. Fantastic device! I wish I brought five more to give to friends that I made. The only trouble I ran into was losing the ability to "hold it" when in the cities or having to wait in line at a bar.

Ditto! I have field tested just about every variation of funnel over the years and now just use the pStyle. I always have it with me as carryon on flights and love the horrified look on the security guys faces when they hold it up and ask me what its purpose is :D They tend to drop it instantly on my response.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are going to obtain and carry along a purpose-built container like a jar, I recommend a male or female, plastic reusable and recyclable urinal. They are available at most medical supply shops, online, and in some larger pharmacies. Male truck drivers and pilots use them for long distance travel, where they cannot stop for a pee. Most have an attached cap.

Plus, most have a handle for convenience in handling, using and emptying. So you can easily rig a short bungee cord to air the thing out from your rucksack after use (and rinsing PLEASE). We do not want every fly in Spain following you along...

Yes, this is elaborate and perhaps even "over the top." However there are some folks who always have to know where the next loo is for medical reasons. It gets worse when you are older.

This should not be reason to NOT do a Camino. So I am including it as a resource of sorts.

I hope this helps,

I initially used a woman UriBag portable urinal in the mountains (too cold to go outside at night without fully dressing) and found that the pStyle worked best with the men's version. On later trips I used the pStyle with an old lightweight drink bottle with screw top and this proved an efficient system.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back