• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

funniest things seen abandoned on camino

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all - I was idly thinking and my mind visited what pilgrims abandon, jettison, on Camino. I regularly visit Roncesvalles to do first aid and always have a good look at the double "leave it here" tables - usually full!

Heavy clothing, make up .... all sorts of things ....
some/many of you will know of Cheryl Strayed and her book, "Wild," - her 1,100-mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail - later made into a film (the book is so Much better!). Well, last spring I found a pristine unopened copy on the Roncesvalles tables - I found it funny as I could almost see the novice American solo female backpacker pilgrim - how she added that book to her pack so she could read it along the way, to identify with Cheryl and her epic walk as she undertook her own ..... and once she finally managed to haul herself over the pass from St Jean she abandoned it without even opening it!! hahahahaahahaaa :):):)

I took the book and read it myself -Fab book by the way, the only honest autobiography I have ever read.

So ... what did you find abandoned??????

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walking towards Villafranca Montes de Oca in 2015 a pilgrim came towards us obviously walking back from Santiago. We stopped dead in our tracks in disbelief, all he had on was sandals and a loincloth, and he carried a staff. After Villafranca near the Civil War monument we found what we think was his possessions. Rucksack, clothing, food, water, tent, boots, waterproofs, the lot. We think he just abandoned everything he had!

I took the book and read it myself -Fab book by the way, the only honest autobiography I have ever read.

I’d love to read that (the film was pretty good) – so where did you then abandon it? :) . . . so I can pick it up :p.

I found Shirley MacLaine’s book abandoned somewhere, so I picked it up and read it – not surprised that got abandoned – sorry, can’t remember where I then left it :D
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all - I was idly thinking and my mind visited what pilgrims abandon, jettison, on Camino. I regularly visit Roncesvalles to do first aid and always have a good look at the double "leave it here" tables - usually full!

some/many of you will know of Cheryl Strayed and her book, "Wild," - her 1,100-mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail - later made into a film (the book is so Much better!). Well, last spring I found a pristine unopened copy on the Roncesvalles tables - I found it funny as I could almost see the novice American solo female backpacker pilgrim - how she added that book to her pack so she could read it along the way, to identify with Cheryl and her epic walk as she undertook her own ..... and once she finally managed to haul herself over the pass from St Jean she abandoned it without even opening it!! hahahahaahahaaa :):):)

Well, I never saw anything unusual abandoned, but the biggest pile of stuff was definately in Roncevalles!

I read "Wild" too, and agree it was much better than the movie.

I’d love to read that (the film was pretty good) – so where did you then abandon it? :) . . . so I can pick it up :p.

I found Shirley MacLaine’s book abandoned somewhere, so I picked it up and read it – not surprised that got abandoned – sorry, can’t remember where I then left it :D
Jill
I believe I would have found a good home for Ms. MacLaine's book at the next albergue near the footwear rack. The pages would come in handy torn out and stuffed into boots/shoes so that they dry faster. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now Mark Lee,

You know you're upset you didn't do a duck run through a pack of snarling wild dogs in Foncebadon.
Not sure if I ever got that far in the book, ha ha. Was that before or after she realized she was a royal harlot in a previous life, or something like that? :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Before Atlantian birthing episode.... And, 2001, on my first Camino when I awoke to walk Rabanal-Foncebadon-Ponferrada, I was quaking in my boots because of S.Mc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't remember which year this was but this picture I took on one of my caminos, always makes me laugh and scratch my head - and then wonder who had to clean it up.
maybe someone thought they were doing a good deed for weary pilgrims.

Just had to add how much I loved the book Wild. Anyone who saw the Gilmore Girls reprise on Netflix last Thanksgiving...huge giggles over "the book or the movie" fans. I watched the movie after I read the book. I liked both. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walking towards Villafranca Montes de Oca in 2015 a pilgrim came towards us obviously walking back from Santiago. We stopped dead in our tracks in disbelief, all he had on was sandals and a loincloth, and he carried a staff. After Villafranca near the Civil War monument we found what we think was his possessions. Rucksack, clothing, food, water, tent, boots, waterproofs, the lot. We think he just abandoned everything he had!
How Very odd....

I actually counted sox as I walked. 23 from SJPP to Santiago. So 23 people who pinned sox on their packs to dry wound up with only one. Bet they were (sorry) hopping mad!
I started using these to clip my socks to my pack for drying - worked great!
GLC12_Feature_00_l.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I volunteered in Viana for 2 weeks and one night around the dinner table 3 of the pilgrims that were walking together shared this story. The 3 had started out from Los Arcos that morning. While they were walking, blisters on one of the girls feet became so painful that she wasn't able to go on. One of her friends was going to go ahead and get help while the other stayed with her. They decided to stop a little ahead when they saw there was a bit of shade under a tree where there seemed to be a few big rocks to sit on. When they got to the spot, on the side of the biggest rock was a pair of trainers. Set nicely beside the path. The girls looked around and found no one. Looking a bit more at the shoes the girls realized that the trainers where the perfect size for the poor suffering pilgrim. She tried them on and was able to walk in them all the way to Viana. I fixed up her wounds that afternoon unbeknownst to me the story of how she found the shows that got her there. As the story unfolded around the table a quiet woman traveling on her own said it had been her that left the shoes behind. She had been carrying to much stuff, she hadn't used the shoes since she began her walk and when she stopped in the shade on the rock to have an apple she just decided to leave those shoes right there. She didn't know why she did it, she didn't think twice about it, she said she just did it and walked on. Every night in Viana there were amazing stories told around our humble table.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I actually counted sox as I walked. 23 from SJPP to Santiago. So 23 people who pinned sox on their packs to dry wound up with only one. Bet they were (sorry) hopping mad!
Between SJPP and Santiago I counted at least that many clothing pegs (pins). I picked up and kept the first five and actually used them, too!

Funniest I saw was at the mobile café at the top of the hill just before the descent into Zubiri. The sign says 'leave your unwanted items, take whatever you need' or words to that effect. I looked in the box and it was full of ladies bras. All colours and sizes, nothing else. Didn't really need one so passed on that :). Where did the original owners think they were going.....to a fashion show

Funniest I saw was at the mobile café at the top of the hill just before the descent into Zubiri. The sign says 'leave your unwanted items, take whatever you need' or words to that effect. I looked in the box and it was full of ladies bras. All colours and sizes, nothing else. Didn't really need one so passed on that :). Where did the original owners think they were going.....to a fashion show
I can remember that one clearly! He had a sign that told women to leave underclothes and they would find a husband. I can't remember what it said about men leaving underclothes....it was funny.
I only had three pair of my granny undies and I needed them all. Didn't look a thing like what was in that basket. (Aren't they itchy??????)

I can remember that one clearly! He had a sign that told women to leave underclothes and they would find a husband. I can't remember what it said about men leaving underclothes....it was funny.
I only had three pair of my granny undies and I needed them all. Didn't look a thing like what was in that basket. (Aren't they itchy??????)
Wouldnt really know about their itchyness :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Maybe it was a passing tribe of Victoria's Secret Models.......

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As we walked along in the middle of no where we found a umbrella hanging in a tree over a very steep gully830.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Camino Chris See below - I seem to remember that the jar was of some expensive hair styling putty.

So I had this vision of a lady of a certain age, who had the idea of being a swashbuckling, choppy haired, standing up peeing sexual adventuress of a vixen on the Via De La Plata, and then very quickly, like 3 days out of Seville, just said to herself no, this isn't happening, this camino lark is literally the most scruffy, sweaty, unromantic, death to good hair, squat behind a bush scenario, ditch this goddam stuff and forget I ever had such fantasies.
But we have the evidence:

IMG_0642.JPG

@Camino Chris See below - I seem to remember that the jar was of some expensive hair styling putty.

So I had this vision of a lady of a certain age, who had the idea of being a swashbuckling, choppy haired, standing up peeing sexual adventuress of a vixen on the Via De La Plata, and then very quickly, like 3 days out of Seville, just said to herself no, this isn't happening, this camino lark is literally the most scruffy, sweaty, unromantic, death to good hair, squat behind a bush scenario, ditch this goddam stuff and forget I ever had such fantasies.
But we have the evidence:

View attachment 32497
You got the photo all right! And your narrative gave me a good laugh! :D

A copy of Paulo Coelhos The Pilgrimage, the very book that inspired me to do the Camino. Took it as a very powerful sign that I was on the right path.

Attachments

• IMG_3990.JPG
    IMG_3990.JPG
    998.9 KB · Views: 14
the strangest thing I have found along the actual path was a pair of shiny white patent-leather gogo boots. And a rolling pin.
The strangest thing I have seen in an albergue lost-and-found box was a lavender tulle evening dress. In Ponferrada. Absolutely fabulous.
:oops::D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
the strangest thing I have found along the actual path was a pair of shiny white patent-leather gogo boots. And a rolling pin.
The strangest thing I have seen in an albergue lost-and-found box was a lavender tulle evening dress. In Ponferrada. Absolutely fabulous.
How wonderful.....I wonder what occasion the Lavender evening dress was for.....seems like such a strange garment to be in The Lost and Found Box....:) :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here you go!! Taken near Zubiri in 2015....;)Camino 3- Espinal to Zubiri- 15 kms (5).JPG

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back