• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FYI: Emirates let me take my wooden walking staff back on a flight

teeranaic

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances | Jan. 2022
Since I've seen other threads inquiring in the past about how to bring the wooden walking stave back home, I want to share my experience just for the record. I flew out of Paris (I was traveling after completing the Camino -- and yes my walking staff went with me everywhere lol) with Emirates and they checked in the stick as an oversize baggage, at no extra charge. It was tagged just like any luggage. When I arrived in Bangkok I only had to pick it up from the oversize baggage section (it didn't come in the bag carousel, understandably), but that was it. I assume other airlines would have the same procedures.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
teeranaic,
All your digital followers will be glad to learn that you and your wooden walking staff are now back home in Thailand. Thanks for your update.
Stay safe and Carpe diem

Yeah I really couldn't bear to part way with it somehow... I'm sure many other pilgrims have the same sentiment!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since I've seen other threads inquiring in the past about how to bring the wooden walking starve back home, I want to share my experience just for the record. I flew out of Paris (I was traveling after completing the Camino -- and yes my walking staff went with me everywhere lol) with Emirates and they checked in the stick as an oversize baggage, at no extra charge. It was tagged just like any luggage. When I arrived in Bangkok I only had to pick it up from the oversize baggage section (it didn't come in the bag carousel, understandably), but that was it. I assume other airlines would have the same procedures.

Hope this helps.
This is uncanny:) I have made my own walking stave from Welsh ash and a glassmaker friend of mine made me a little square copy of the Camino sign which I have glued to stave. I am going to wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in one of my fishing rod bags and check it in as hold luggage. I have been up and down about the whole idea ever since I made it and now you have done it I feel my stave HAS to go ! As you can imagine I now have a grin wider that the Arc de Triumph plastered all over my face :) Forgive the spelling if I have it wrong :) Am now on my way out for the morning totter and stave plus BIG rucksack is going with me ! I shall load up with the weighty tome THE PILGRIMAGE ROAD TO SANTIAGO AND SCALLOP SHELL AFFIXED TO RUCK :) :) Buen camino :)

Samarkand.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back