• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

G7 Summit-Aug.23-26 2019

Judith Upchurch

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada-Santiago (2017)
Camino Frances (2019)
I will be arriving in Paris on Aug. 21 at 10:30 am and have a reservation at an albergue in SJPDP on Aug. 23. The Albergue sent me an email yesterday advising that the airport and train stations in Biarritz/Bayonne will be closed and transportation to St. Jean will be irregular during the G7 summit between the 23rd and 26th of August. Is there any other way to get to St. Jean other than through Biarritz/Bayonne from Paris?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have booked a train from Paris to Bayonne on the 26th - no sign of any problem during the process. However there were no trains offered to SJPP late afternoon on the 26th, so I am staying in Bayonne overnight and have booked the train on the next morning.

the airport and train stations in Biarritz/Bayonne will be closed and transportation to St. Jean will be irregular during the G7 summit between the 23rd and 26th of August. Is there any other way to get to St. Jean other than through Biarritz/Bayonne from Paris?
  • Train or airplane to Pau
Express Bourricot and others provide transport from Pau to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.​
  • Train from Paris via Bordeaux and Dax
There are SNCF buses from Dax train station to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port during the G7 summit. They are synchronised with the trains coming from Bordeaux and leave Dax at 9:50, 11:50, 13:50, 16:50 and 19:50 on Friday 23 August for example.​
These connections are displayed when you enter Paris and Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port into the booking service of the French Railways SNCF for 23 August 2019. They replace the regular train service to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port during the summit.​

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have booked a train from Paris to Bayonne on the 26th - no sign of any problem during the process.
That's because your train arrives after 16:00. Bayonne train station is closed from Friday 23 August (all day) until Monday 26 August 16:00.

And according to the French Railways' own TER timetable (TER is the type of train that serves the line Bayonne to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port):
  • last train leaving Bayonne for Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on Thursday 22 August at 21:10
  • next train leaving Bayonne on Monday 26 August at 18:30, followed by train at 21:10
  • then regular schedule again with four trains departing daily at 7:42, 11:59, 18:30 and 21:10

Last edited:
Tricky! Depends upon your budget really - Bayonne to St Jean is 32 miles ... doable in a taxi, though not less than 100€ cheaper if you could drum up a share somehow (hanging around outside the train station with a big sign might do it!).

Or - how would it be if you left Paris by train same day? Jet lagged maybe but you could get to St Jean 22nd and have an extra day there to recover?

Or - pretty expensive!! You could fly from Paris same day down to Biarritz and then go on to St Jean?

Last edited:
There are SNCF buses from Dax train station to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port during the G7 summit. They replace the regular train service to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port during the summit.​

This map illustrates both the journey via Dax and the locations of Pau and Dax in relation to Biarritz/Bayonne and Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port:

Bordeaux-Dax.png

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps this thread could be made a sticky until the summit disruption is over. Mods?

• Train or airplane to Pau
Express Bourricot and others provide transport from Pau to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.​

• Train from Paris via Bordeaux and Dax
There are SNCF buses from Dax train station to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port during the G7 summit. They are synchronised with the trains coming from Bordeaux and leave Dax at 9:50, 11:50, 13:50, 16:50 and 19:50 on Friday 23 August for example.​
These connections are displayed when you enter Paris and Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port into the booking service of the French Railways SNCF for 23 August 2019. They replace the regular train service to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port during the summit.​
Thank you, Kathar1na! This is exactly the information I needed.

Oh, that makes sense! We kept trying to book a flight / train into Biarritz to no avail (going into Bilbao now).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everyone in Biarritz is expecting the weekend to be a complete nightmare. This being one of the biggest weekend of the summer holiday season.
The protestors are already lining up and all residents needs identity badges to walk around town. There will be no airport service, no train service, no autos and even the recycling bins will be locked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well here we are three days before my booked fare and SNCF has advised the train from Paris will not be stopping at Bayonne on the 26th. This may mean it goes through without stopping or that it won’t go as far as Bayonne.

The 4pm reopening might no longer be correct.

My intention is to leave the train at Dax and use bus transport from there. Unless someone has better info. The link refrrring to bus services from DAX does not offer a bus on 26th.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I find that SNCF and Loco2 are still accepting bookings for services reaching Bayonne after 16:00 on the 26th.
Bookings attempted for 23/24/25 August received error messages saying the booking could not be made.
I suspect the reopening time of 16:00 was not taken into account in the warning from Loco2.

Well here we are three days before my booked fare and SNCF has advised the train from Paris will not be stopping at Bayonne on the 26th. This may mean it goes through without stopping or that it won’t go as far as Bayonne. The 4pm reopening might no longer be correct. My intention is to leave the train at Dax and use bus transport from there. Unless someone has better info. The link refrrring to bus services from DAX does not offer a bus on 26th.
I don't quite understand what you are saying. Below is what the French Railways SNCF are currently offering on the 26th of August for Bordeaux to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port from 8 am onwards. If you go to their website you can also see the details of the connections (i.e. all the stops and where you change) when you click on the appropriate fields. For the first two, there's a train to DAX and then a special bus (put on by SNCF; they call it Car TER) directly to SJPP. For the last two, there will be a TER train instead of a bus and you change in Bayonne and not in Dax. Note that Bordeaux Saint Jean is the name of the train station in Bordeaux.

26 August.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Katherina

I was quoting from an email I received this afternoon from Loco2 which is the booking service I used.

Your train 8541 on 26/08/2019 will not be stopping at BAYONNE due to the G7 summit organization at BIARRITZ.

There will be a security zone around BAYONNE station that will be closed from the 23/08 to the 26/08.

If you would like to reschedule your journey or refund your ticket, please contact your original selling point.

This message cancels and replaces any information you may have received previously.

We apologize for any inconvenience.”

I looked at the link you provided and it does indeed reveal that services from Bordeaux are supported by buses from DAX or other places to SJPP. But my train leaves Paris at 12:47 and is scheduled to reach Bayonne at 16:52.

And if I modify the search to match my travel times it shows that I could book through to SJPP without any buses or diversions at DAX.

When I booked over a month ago the service to SJPP was not showing as available so I decided to stay in Bayonne overnight. Looks like that too would no longer be necessary.

The details have the devil in them as usual.

Regards, Andrew

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was quoting from an email I received this afternoon from Loco2 which is the booking service I used.
OK, I understand. Well I don't know what Loco2 knows. Are you not certain whether to keep your booking or change it? I would probably check with SNCF directly but of course, wonderful thing these days, you can't email. You have to phone or use social media or their app if you want to contact them ...

In any case, below is what SNCF currently displays for TGVs from Paris on the 26th, i.e. from the 8541 onwards it is business as usual. Arrêt means stop. I guess I would just have faith ☺. Bonne chance, as they say.

TGV 26 Aug.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. Unless I learn additional info before I get on the train, I am assuming that Bayonne station is actually open for arrivals from 16:00 onwards. If I find I need to leave the train at DAX and use a bus I will do that.

Sorry for all the noise. I never expected the G7 would interfere with my travel planning. ;)

Andrew

Yes. Unless I learn additional info before I get on the train, I am assuming that Bayonne station is actually open for arrivals from 16:00 onwards. If I find I need to leave the train at DAX and use a bus I will do that.

Sorry for all the noise. I never expected the G7 would interfere with my travel planning. ;)

Andrew
Now you know who to blame. Not the working class for once but the "pigs" in suits ;)

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Guess I'm a bit late with this, but :

There's a bus from Dax to St Palais.

Timetable : http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/ligne_dax-mauleon-2019.pdf

If you get there before 3:25 PM on a weekday you should be able to get the little local bus number 810 up to SJPP ; else sleep there overnight (St Palais is great, and the Camino goes through there BTW), and get it in the morning (it's about a 30 minute bus journey) -- else taxi, which would be cheaper than from Biarritz

Else walk from St Palais to SJPP on the Camino, it's the very end of the Vézelay Way and a beautiful one day hike ; if you did that, why not sleep at the Refugio there ?

810 timetable : https://www.communaute-paysbasque.f...eque/Mobilites/IMAGES/LIGNE_810_-_2019-HD.pdf

No 810 buses on Sunday, and only the 7:25 out of Saint Palais on Saturday, but at least that bus gets you up to SJPP early enough for a start.

Last edited:
I never expected the G7 would interfere with my travel planning. ;)
I suppose the reason why the train stations are closed are not any G7 participants as such but the fact that they want to keep protesters away. You can while your time away by watching a real time display of departure (départs) and arrival (arrivées) times in SNCF stations.

Bordeaux: https://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frboj/bordeaux-saint-jean
Dax: https://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/fracg/Dax
Bayonne: https://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frxby/bayonne
Hendaye: https://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/fraef/hendaye

Click on Voir tous les trains to display all trains for the next few hours.

Last edited:
If you get there before 3:25 PM on a weekday you should be able to get the little local bus number 810 up to SJPP ; else sleep there overnight (St Palais is great, and the Camino goes through there BTW), and get it in the morning (it's about a 30 minute bus journey) -- else taxi, which would be cheaper than from Biarritz

Else walk from St Palais to SJPP on the Camino, it's the very end of the Vézelay Way and a beautiful one day hike ; if you did that, why not sleep at the Refugio there ?
I love starting the walk at Saint Palais, although I generally overnight at Ostabat and make it two days to SJPP. Love love love it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love starting the walk at Saint Palais, although I generally overnight at Ostabat and make it two days to SJPP. Love love love it.

Northern, the Saint Palais to SJPP stage was one of my favourites on the 1994 that I did from Paris, and I heartily approve your excellent habit.

Northern, the Saint Palais to SJPP stage was one of my favourites on the 1994 that I did from Paris, and I heartily approve your excellent habit.
If the weather is decent, I'm good for a couple hours sitting on the hill at the chapelle, just taking it all in. Best view on the camino.

If the weather is decent, I'm good for a couple hours sitting on the hill at the chapelle, just taking it all in. Best view on the camino.

I'm inclined to disagree, but then you've not seen what I have on the Paris route in summer ...

But yes, that particular vista is amazingly lovely.

€83,-
@AndrewDavOz, you must be in Paris by now. It looks like Bayonne station will be back in business later this afternoon and the 8541 will stop there today. Bon voyage and please let us know how it went!
Hi Kather1na

Yes I probably was in Paris when you wrote, I’m now on the train to Bayonne and the destination list definitely include both Bayonne and Biarritz. So my betting is that the 1600 opening of the security was correct and someone at SNCF has not read their own announcements. I’ll confirm that later but there is no indication of any variation.

I’m taking an early train to SJPP in the morning.
Then the fun starts. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@AndrewDavOz, you must be in Paris by now. It looks like Bayonne station will be back in business later this afternoon and the 8541 will stop there today. Bon voyage and please let us know how it went!
The train was delayed by 40 mins by the time we reached DAX but was not delayed further after that so we reached Bayonne station around 5:30 and it was jumping, there were lots of people there and several trains. One may have been the train to SJPP and I wished I was on it.

So yes, I think the original advice that the closure of the station ended at 16:00 was right as by the time I reached it the station was in full swing.

Regards
Andrew

The train was delayed by 40 mins by the time we reached DAX but was not delayed further after that so we reached Bayonne station around 5:30 and it was jumping, there were lots of people there and several trains. One may have been the train to SJPP and I wished I was on it.
Thank you for this feedback, @AndrewDavOz! I trust you had a good rest during a really quiet night in Bayonne, with both the big names and the protesters gone ☺! Have a wonderful camino!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back