• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gadget preparation for the newbie

Daxzentzu

Time of past OR future Camino
FRANCES (2018) in planning
I have observed discussions about "gadgets" on the way of Saint James and I seek guidance from enthusiastic proponents of technology on the Camino. which are the "must have" and can't do without items.

Conversely, I also would like insights from those perigrinos who have taken an alternate view and have chosen to leave the technology at home.

Dax

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Treat me as the heretic - I am pretty against all the gadgets - to me the pilgrimage is time out from the 'real' world to where one can encounter oneself and the REAL world ..... to constantly be in touch with that other world one left behind completely defeats the purpose of pilgrimage, which is inner transformation and learning to be 'in the now' ...

This picture is a German 1930's prediction of the future. For over eighty years ago, pretty accurate too!
Women in positions of power, male servant, personal plane (ok, it is now personal car), they are wearing onesies and on their vid phones - but, notice that they are completely ignoring each other ... and that is the thing about 'communication' gadgets - you ignore what is right in front of you .. you miss it completely ... . I say leave all that stuff at home and go on pilgrimage
(just my personal opinion :wink: )

Attachments

• 1930's future prediction.jpg
    1930's future prediction.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,016
I carried an iPad mini - which I used as a camera, a photo editor, for skyping, for writing my blog and posting it, for emails and Facebook, and as a book reader. I made a carry case that attached to my bum bag and I was able to access it very quickly and conveniently whenever I wanted to take a photo. I used an iPhone for phone calls and viber, and for listening to music.

There were times when I wished I had taken my camera, so that I could zoom in on subjects, and if I were to undertake another camino I would seriously consider taking my camera and a couple of fully charged batteries so that I would not need a charger.

The most important thing to me was convenience of use, and the ipad provided this in abundance.

I wanted to be able to keep in touch with loved ones as often as they liked. I was already being self indulgent by leaving home for five weeks, and I certainly did not want to cut myself off from my family.

There is no right or wrong way - just your way. Enjoy it!

Buen camino, Maggie

Daily report from Camino Frances Apr/May 2013 at http://magwood.wordpress.com

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took a Samsung Galaxy II. I used it for booking hotels, bus timetables, weather forecasts, Spanish/English dictionary, maps for when I got lost in cities, Kindle reader, camera, sorting out bank transfers, accessing wifi, etc. Generally it was off during the day (except for photos) and only on when I was using it in the evening. The only phone call I made from it was to berate my bank for stopping my cards halfway through.

There was a time when books, compasses, portable sundials, penknives, fountain pens, etc., would have been considered gadgets. I suspect the pilgrims of old didn't worry too much about it. If you want it then take it, if you don't then don't. Ultimately everything comes with an off button.

I couldn't agree more. I never used to carry a cell phone until After I passed out on a mountain in Maine while hiking the Appalachian Trail. Fortunately, another hiker found me and used his cell to summon help. And then there are those trekking poles that I "discovered" a few years ago.

My iPhone: how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
- Call home
- Call lodgings for reservations
- Text walking companions in different towns
- Camera
- Photo editor
- Blog poster
- Foreign language dictionary
- Foreign city map, including metro/transit maps
- Keep current on email
- Pay bills electronically
- Research local history
- GPS track to follow

I also carry an older Kindle, one of the black-and-white versions so it has a very long lasting battery. The iPhone is just too small to read for long on. And the Kindle will last an entire transoceanic flight, which the iPhone won't.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For those that carried an iPad (regular or mini) or an iPhone, have you tried using FaceTime?

Daxzentzu said:
I have observed discussions about "gadgets" on the way of Saint James and I seek guidance from enthusiastic proponents of technology on the Camino. which are the "must have" and can't do without items.

What do you use at home? If you manage without you'll likely continue to manage without.

But a cell phone starts out providing you a means of calling for help. The more advanced they get the more they can do.

GPS,note taking,recording your path,accessing info on the thing you're looking at , translators (voice and text). The list goes on.

If you use a smartphone at home you'll miss not having it. If you don't you won't have anything to miss.

I walked the Camino Frances from 24 April to 29 May this year. My best friend was the iPod Touch, v 5 I carried. It rode in a waterproof heavy duty zip lock bag (http://www.loksak.com "aLOKSAK 4.5X7" (3pk)") that fit very nicely into a cargo pocket on my zip-off convertible pants.

Virtually every night I was able to use Face Time to speak with and see my wife. The exceptions are the mere handful of times you will not have free Wi-Fi available at an alburgue, hostal, or a cafe. It really is very common in Spain. I even had free Wi-Fi on ALSA buses when I had to take them.

While I was on Camino, my wife was at home in the U.S. Face Time is FAR better than just being able to speak on the phone. The biggest problem was teaching her to leave the iPad on and connected to the Wi-Fi router in our home at all times.

It made my two-month absence more palatable for both of us (We've been married for over 34 years). However, my Persian cat could not figure out where my voice was coming from and got very agitated. Evidently the smell sense is a strong one in two-way communication among felines. If she could not smell me, she could not "see me."

Anyway, I will not repeat the comments of other iPhone / iPod users here except to suggest that even without using a mobile phone, these devices are the modern day equivalent of the Swiss Army knife. In fact those were the two "gadgets" I would never leave behind.

Don't forget a plug adapter plug for your USB charger (two flat vertical (US) to two round pins (Euro - Schucko)) and the USB to Lightning cord if your device uses one. Apple stores, or electronic shops selling Apple gear are few and far apart, especially outside the large towns / cities. However, finding a local electronic store to obtain a pin adapter is easy in any medium to large town. You can get one in St. Jean before starting off.

Buen Camino
Tom (from Virginia)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you. I wasn't sure if the Wi-Fi connections would be strong enough, or the broadband wide enough to handle FaceTime. Good, now I won't have to mess with Skype.

I am still ambivalent about whether I will take technology or go "au naturelle"

The majority seem to prefer technology assisted - unless ......Suggestions please

Dax

It really depends on why you think you are going on the Camino.
If it is a long hike, a pleasant holiday, another item crossed off the list, then take whatever you want. If it is a deep religious/spiritual/questioning pilgrimage then leave the gadgets behind and don't keep in touch with the outside world - you will be in process and to report by blogging, or to tell people at home and so on removes you from the process, you become an observer rather than the participant.
It is the same listening to music on headphones - it stops the process, you are no longer there, you no longer have that rarest and most difficult of opportunities - to face yourself.
So, shallow or deep - your life, your choice :wink: .

"Ah, but I want a record of it" - the record will be in your head, for the rest of your life. Forcing friends to endure 'ordeal by holiday snaps' isn't fair on them - the photos will mean nothing to them, they weren't there - and you don't need them as you already have the images in your head ...

Re going without gadgets but wanting an emergency backup - one can buy the cheapest mobile phone for about £10 - 18$ with a payg sim. Handy for an emergency on the Camino (though emergencies where you need a mobile tend to be in places away from towns where there is no signal!). Divert calls on your own phone to the new number. Message all your contacts and tell them not to phone you but to text you if there is an emergency only. Then you can turn that phone on for one minute every other day to check for emergency texts and then turn it off again. You will never have to charge the battery and if it is stolen or you lose it? so what?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like David we would say a PAYG simple phone. However the only people with the number are our son and daughter and we do not divert our other phone messages etc to it. The family know only to text and that we will only do the same if there is a real need.

The phone would then only be used if we need to book ahead, call a taxi or if there was an emergency. We carry simple cameras too and that is all. It makes for a peaceful and meaningful Camino for us.

Others feel the need for more gear and that is their choice, especially if it gives them, or their families, greater peace of mind.

Tia Valeria, a very experienced and valuable contributor summarised this thread admirably:

Others feel the need for more gear and that is their choice, especially if it gives them, or their families, greater peace of mind.

I would like to comment as a slightly technological challenged mid-seventy person that the past six years since my last Camino the cost of cheap Android smartphone and the dumb phone recommended with a PAYG card has narrowed to a point any one replacing the dumb phone would get a smartphone.

AS you travel to the start point of your Camino in Spain you will see, for better or worse, hardly anyone using a dumb phone and these will become a rarity in the years to come. The smartphone has advanced to eliminate the need to carry more gear, it has excellent photo and video capability and replaced my a point and shoot camera, it replaces a torch as apps will make the phone into a torch or flashing warning light, the display screen is bright enough to see in the darkened room and toilet, it provides radio and music which replaces the music/radio player, it can provide and store reading material and information such a maps to replace written material, and much more. Alarm clock, dictionary, address book, diary, GPS, blog, sketch pad; it can now electronically arrange your flight details and provide a digital boarding pass, just to name a few.

Smartphones communicate freely when you have Wifi (in connected Spain you will not be short of free fast Wifi) with Apps like Skype. Viber, Tango, plus myriad other free cross platform communication Apps. Facetime as mentioned on other threads is also used but locked between Apple to Apple devices, it cannot communicate with the increasing amount of commonly used Android, BB and Windows phones. Communication is now at another level, you have video talk, you can edit and send pictures and videos immediately they are taken with its location imbedded, texting is straightforward with its predictive and voice and screen writing capabilities. Serious writing can be done by wirelessly connecting the smartphone by Bluetooth to a portable pocket-sized 130gm keyboard which fold out to a full three quarters size keyboard. With a miniature sized mouse if one is inclined to use a 60gm gadget and not the fully functional touchpad.

If you are using a smartphone (who doesn't if you look around the streets in Spain) there is no point to leave it behind and purchase a dumb phone which you will find little use when you go home.

To each his or her own, this interesting debate on gadgets will be entirely different in another six years judging by the gadgets now used on the Camino. In conclusion you have the choice to use or switch off the phone if you carry one. It was comforting for my family to be able to contact an old man walking alone in a foreign country halfway round the world away. And vice-versa.

Joe

Joe - it is exactly for every one of the things you say it can do that I say - leave it behind :|

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much for the comments and insights. so welcome and of course everyone is right- every contribution is perfect.

I've had some guidance in this matter also, from a higher authority. .......My wife....is not taking the way of St James with me and we have discussed it at length - I am her Camino bore!

In our 40 year marriage I have been blessed with her good counsel and her guidance to me is always to be authentic in all matters.

Her simple killer question to me is " what did previous pilgrims take" - the original pilgrims would not have taken anything- they would have relied upon a kind face, a smile and a piece of bread from a stranger

So, I fear that taking all the gadgets will risk me being an observer of my own pilgrimage. Also strong feelings that being so "connected" obliged me to have something to say to a distant audience who may be just feigning an interest in what i might have done today.

Its too risky for me to become a distant web-based camino bore, "poking them" in the cloud and even being a "troll"

Even. If I could mitigate those risks, I am not so sure I, we, they could sustain the interest - so on reflection I wish to be authentic and "au naturelle"

For me that means no technology, iPad, iPhone, Netbook, GPS - i use them every day in my working life.

I will strive to be that perigrino who is in the moment, a participant in my own pilgrimage not observing it , not counting each of the million steps that i will take.

Not creating a narrative of my daily exploits, not shared with the world and definitely not confirming my gross lack of literary talent.

Instead I intend to be smelling the roses.

It's my pilgrimage after all!

Dax

Dax

What a great post!

Buen Camino pilgrim

p.s. I like your wife, you obviously make good life choices :wink:

Daxzentzu said:
Her simple killer question to me is " what did previous pilgrims take" - the original pilgrims would not have taken anything- they would have relied upon a kind face, a smile and a piece of bread from a stranger

For me that means no technology, iPad, iPhone, Netbook, GPS - i use them every day in my working life.

If you're serious.

No modern backpack.

No modern boots/shoes

No tech clothing.

No rain coat.

Wear a monk's habit and sandals. Forget the socks.

Tech isn't just the stuff that plugs in it's basically everything discussed in the equipment section.

You want to go natural? I hear nudity is legal in Spain :D Anything else is just saying your tech is okay and the tech of others isn't.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks David for your inputs, many will agree with your advise that leaving their gadget behind would allow them to see the camino in a different light .....but they would still take some form of 21st century gadget with them. It is good to see you have one convert; but I do not see how those alive after the train crash on 23rd July would have dealt with their anxious families if they did not have at least a gadget. In hindsight this tragedy would not have happened if trains were not allowed to come past Santiago de Compostela as in the old days.
Joe

JALAN JAUH said:
Thanks David for your inputs, many will agree with your advise that leaving their gadget behind would allow them to see the camino in a different light .....but they would still take some form of 21st century gadget with them. It is good to see you have one convert; but I do not see how those alive after the train crash on 23rd July would have dealt with their anxious families if they did not have at least a gadget. In hindsight this tragedy would not have happened if trains were not allowed to come past Santiago de Compostela as in the old days.
Joe

Joe - I am not looking for 'converts', I am merely stating a religious/spiritual truth - not an opinion.

I am not against gadgets, I am not a luddite, I am on a computer right now and I always take a (switched off) mobile phone with me, in case of emergencies, and I am also not suggesting that we imitate the pilgrims of the past.

What I say - and this is quite serious - is whether one takes communication gadgets so that one can stay in constant touch with the world left behind or not depends upon one's intention.
If one is a tourist, well, take what you want. If one is on pilgrimage, in the religious/spiritual sense, then leave them behind.

It is quite simple - no one going on a religious retreat would take those gadgets with them, nor to church. Would any monastery or convent or church allow them? No, they are forbidden - in all religions. They would say that the person was frivolous, not serious about their intention. A pilgrimage is a process where one is away from, isolated from, the known world and all its attachments and it is that being separated from that world that is foundational to the spiritual pilgrimage process.
You can not be blogging and praying at the same time. You cannot be having a confrontation with your self as you really are and be on a phone at the same time.

It really is very simple. Everyone should go on the Camino as they wish, with gadgets or without, dressed how they will, carrying what they want, staying wherever they want, etc
but if one is undertaking a serious pilgrimage then one must leave the gadgets behind.

Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jalan Jauh, I like your post but it just re-inforces why I personally prefer a simple phone. I don't see it as 'dumb', it does all I want. We have thought about replacing ours and decided not to. At home we have computer connection etc, away from home we are happy to be away from 'permanent connectivity', but each to their own preferences as usual. :)

Here is my 2 cents: Leave it behind. I'll skip the rant on technology and what we are missing being locked into it.There are enough internet portals at alburgues and cafes along the way....One more item of value to have to worry about. Liberate yourself..I'll share my mantra: Less is more....
Have fun,
R-

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be starting my "serious pilgrimage" in three weeks time and I will be taking my iPhone and a solar charger... does that make my Camino any less significant than a person that leaves it at home? To me absolutely not. it's not about what's in our backpacks it's about what's in our hearts...it's your pilgrimage take what you want, no one else but you will be carrying it...buen Camino all

Hi :)

This will be my first Camino and also some well deserved vacation time. Vacation: an act or instance of vacating: to vacate one's life.

I will not be taking a phone. The phone I have is an older Android, not worth the hassle. I have purchased a prepaid phone card that I can use with a landline (they do still have those, right?) airport payphone, hotel lobby etc, just to check in quickly with the family back home.

I'm not a high tech individual, I don't even own a flat screen TV. I really don't need to check email, but most likely will stop by an internet cafe once in a while for a quick peek.

I will take a camera to capture mostly the beautiful people I will meet along the way. I am already debating with myself to take an MP3 player. I know the need will arise when I need to get out of my head and listen to some great walking/spiritual music. Not sure about carrying the necessary charging equipment that goes along with it. I want the music but not the hassle. Any suggestions?

For me, this Camino is a calling and a blessing, therefore it is my responsibility to be in the moment, to hear, see and react to what I have been called to.

Buen Camino and God Bless,
Angela

Thank you Dax for the question. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tumbleweed said:
a landline (they do still have those, right?) payphone,

Phone booth? Like one of those things Dr. Who flies around in? :mrgreen:

Pretty useless in an emergency situation.

I weigh in on the side of David and Tia Valeria. That is a fabulous picture from the 1930's David.

For me 'entering into this pilgrimage' means being there both in mind and body at the same time.

However I do bring a simple pay as you go mobile phone, and each evening when I have got a bed for the night I text my husband John to let him know where I am. I do this out of consideration for him and also a sense of security for myself. I laugh as I say "If I fall off the world I would like someone to know where it happened". Then every so often he phones me back and we have a chat.

David used the phrase, 'being an observer of my own pilgrimage'. I see so many people being 'recorders' of their time on the Camino especially in the Cathedral. They are so busy taking videos of what is happening that they do not seem to be entering into the sacred moment.

Our time on the Camino is very precious. We might never get the chance to be there again and to engage with all that is pilgrimage. Wouldn't it be a deep regret to have lost out just because one wanted to keep in contact with everything else happening on the planet?

I don' recall ever seeing a phone booth on the Camino.

On one occasion I purchased a Spanish PAYG phone. It cost €29.00 and it had €30.00 credit on it. So very good value.

However as someone else has said emergencies can happen in places out of range of all technology and we have to rely on the kindness of other pilgrims.

On the question of whether good boots and socks and raingear distract from the pilgrimage. I would say on the contrary. Having them and their benefits enables one to enjoy the Camino more.

Buen Camio Dax

Tumbleweed, just be aware that the working phone booth is an unusual thing these days. Perhaps there are many along the Camino; I haven't been to northern Spain. I did see one in Madrid.
But they are not always easy to find in Europe as Europe adopted cell phones ubiquitously and early (cheaper than landlines in old houses/apartments)
And funnily enough, where I live there are 2 pay phones, one east about 20 metres, and one west about 20 metres lol! So I have a surfeit, but I've never spotted another one in my city:)

Hello - Just to make it clear, I won't be looking for a phone booth to make any calls along the Camino. I will use a pay phone at the airports to let family know I have arrived and when I will depart. I never mentioned "phone booth", that was NicoZ.

I've been to Europe before without a cell phone and I plan on doing the Camino with out one as well, after all, it is my Camino, isn't it?

Thanks for your concern?

Buen Camino to all and to all, do it your way,
Angela

Chefaj...

In my experience, the solar charger is excess weight you do not need. Bring the charger, USB cable and a European plug adapter for your iPhone and you will be fine. Finding an outlet to plug into is not a problem. I have a solar charger that I am going to sell. Weight is everything. I strongly recommend you leave the charger or excess battery charging packs at home. You will not need them.

Also, in the interests of having an enjoyable pilgrimage unspoiled by interruptions, turn OFF the iPhone during the day. I left all my gadgets off until I reached my day's destination. Turn the phone on briefly to retrieve any text or voice mail messages and deal with the messages you want, as you choose. I also left my headphones home so I would not be tempted to listen to music.

The many functions possible on an iPhone or other smart phone CAN be valuable. But you control the degree of intrusiveness. Likely, you will use the camera, but nothing else during the day. Still, it is nice to have the other functions available when and if you need them, or choose to use them.

I recommend setting an auto-reply message on your e-mail telling people you are away from e-mail and regular phone service between (date - date), and that you may not reply for several days or more. Then send periodic updates - perhaps weekly - to the small, inner circle of contacts you want to share your experience with.

I will be happy to reply to any and all private messages (PM) regarding this or any other Camino-related subject that I can assist with.

Buen Camino

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back