• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaiters for winter walking

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
Hi, I was planning on buying gaiters for our winter walk (for rain and snow protection), however, the salesperson at the sports store said they were unnecessary if we had rain pants. What do you think? We will be wearing trail shoes rather than boots (personal preference).

While I have your attention ;) do you have any thoughts on traction cleats? We encountered a bit of snow on our last walk and they would have come in handy on some steep paths (eg Zubiri-Pamplona!)

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Quite a lot has been written on this from the perspective of footwear choice. Look for posts by @davebugg in particular. While his advice is particularly pertinent to walking the Camino from late spring to early autumn, my experience is walking summer routes in northern Europe, and the Camino in early spring.

I have found that it is possible to keep dry on rainy days using a combination of boots, gaiters and rain pants. This has included keeping my feet warm and dry. I use the gaiters if it isn't raining, but I need protection from water soaked brush beside the trail. In taller grass and when it is raining, I will put rain pants on.

I suspect this works well when it is colder, and one doesn't get the heat build up under a waterproof outer layer one might get later in spring, summer and early autumn.

You propose to wear trail shoes. I am not sure how well you would be able to prevent water ingress into the top of the shoe from any splashing, even with gaiters and rain pants.

I don't have any experience or view on taking cleats.

Hi, I was planning on buying gaiters for our winter walk (for rain and snow protection), however, the salesperson at the sports store said they were unnecessary if we had rain pants. What do you think? We will be wearing trail shoes rather than boots (personal preference).

While I have your attention ;) do you have any thoughts on traction cleats? We encountered a bit of snow on our last walk and they would have come in handy on some steep paths (eg Zubiri-Pamplona!)

Thanks
I've never walked the Camino in the winter but I have walked in some pretty wet autumns!
I seem to get as wet inside rain pants as on the outside and have often put them on, expecting rain only to get hot and sweaty.
I'd be tempted to go for gaiters and a decent (long) poncho rather than rain pants but if you're wearing trail shoes the water will still penetrate around the tongue as @dougfitz says.
You might just have to put up with wet shoes but take a second set of insoles to change over and let the first set dry.
As for the cleats - when there's no snow around you still have to carry them right? Your call ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walk throughout the year in the north of England which is similar to Galicia in autumn and winter (although with significantly less pulpo)

I habitually wear gaiters and boots, but avoid waterproof trousers unless the weather is truly dire. I sometimes say that I only ever wear them when walking downhill as - if itā€™s ever so wet as to need them, Iā€™m heading for cover. I usually end up as wet inside them as if Iā€™d not bothered!

I second the view above that trail shoes in wet weather will almost inevitably result in wet feet - but itā€™s a personal choice.

My own choice would be boots, gaiters and shorts. Wet legs dry faster than wet cloth.

Iā€™ve never been comfortable with a poncho, preferring a fairly long waterproof coat. I accept that very many others have a different opinion.

Itā€™s personal choice - at least you had the good fortune to meet a salesperson who actively tried to not sell you something!

Thank you. I already have the rain pants - I will take them although rarely wore them last time I think I still want them. As for boots - I cant wear them - the two minutes in the store was enough I have nerve damage around my ankles where the boots sit so not an option and dont know of any other choises other than trail runners (MOABs last time) but am all ears! Also, I am not a poncho person.

Dougfitz, Im usually pretty good with the search option, don't know why I didn't think of it this time lol. Will get on it.

Sounds like gaiters wont be effective unless I have boots :(

I too hate boots. You can wear gaiters with shoes, but you need the right design.

Most gaiters have 2 rows of elastic - one around the ankle, the other designed to fit just above the boot sole. If you wear shoes, then this second elastic rides up and over the top of the shoe and rubs the back of the heel.

There are other designs without elastic. The Rab latok alpine is one example of this sort. They are brilliant. The strap under the sole and the tailored fit mean that they stay in place and keep the top of your shoe dry. Cotswold Outdoors has them on sale at the moment too!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Oops, just noticed you are from Australia, so the reference to Cotswold Outdoors is no use, I'm afraid.

Beware rain over trousers with tapered ankles. My expensive cycle over trousers have that design and the first time I wore them in anger they kept my legs dry but channelled rain water straight into my boots.:(
The choice was take them off or 'fill yer boots'. As long as your wet feet are warm its not a problem apart from the squelch when you walk.
Next purchase was gaiters to wear under my expensive over trousers and over my boots.
Cycling after rain I tend to wear gaiters to stop my legs getting wet from puddles but keep them open like wellies at the top to stop my legs getting too hot.
I have had expensive GTex gaiters and cheap gaiters nothing much to chose between them apart from price and maybe the quality of the strap that goes under your boot.
For walking I would be looking for something that looks like it will take some wear.

My use for gaiters is to keep mud / snow / dirt from entering the tops of my shoes. My choice would be to take a low pair.

As for traction devices, Iā€™d take Stabilicers (US) which have small metal cleats that hold up to pavement & rock, but they do a decent job on ice. The model with the Velcro toe strap recommended because you sometimes lose the ones without.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I hope that I'm not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs but if you do wear gaiters + waterproof overtrousers make sure that the gaiters are INSIDE the overtrousers, otherwise the rain will run down the overtrousers and the inside of the gaiters straight into your socks; I learnt this through bitter experience. Gaiters are designed to be worn with boots and if you wear them with shoes you will get wet feet.
UltreĆÆa!

Thanks everyone, your input is much appreciated and have been googling all morning. Sixwheeler - thanks for the eggs - I would have put them out the OUTSIDE of my overtrousers (rain pants) so appreciate the advice)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.