• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaiters or not ?

If you walked the Frances in April, did you wear gaiters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janet P

Time of past OR future Camino
April ('16)
I was shopping rain gear the other day and looking at the Gaiters at REI and the salesperson/experienced hiker said I only need gaiters for snow hiking. I am curious if they are standard equipment for April rain along the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Janet, I took short, light gaitors last spring on the Le Puy route. I only used them on two days - but I was very glad I had them on those days when we had lots of rain and the path was extremely muddy. I have used tall gaitors on several walking trips in the UK - mostly to keep mud out of my shoes.
Mary Louise

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Janet, you did not mention what type of foot gear you will be using. For me , I don't find gaiters useful. They normally don't help with keeping your feet dry, but do help to keep the mud and rocks out of low cut running shoes etc. some of the brands are easier to secure than others. I think outdoor research makes some trail runners out of neoprene and from the looks of them they appear to be comfortable and should be somewhat water proof. I have used gaiters for winter snow treks and they go up to my knees and keep the snow out of my boots and cross country ski shoes. Also good for break up conditions when the mud will bog a gnat on a saddle blanket. I have not needed them on any of my Spring caminos,but that is just me. If it rains hard, expect to get your feet wet, no big deal though. If you are really set on a pair of gaiters, try a few types from rei and walk in the rain for five or ten miles and see if they do what you want them to do. A good pair of shoes and merino socks will make your feet happy. This is just my take on your question,I hope it is helpful somewhat. You will have a good experience and enjoy your pilgrimage for sure. Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I missed gaiters on my first walk, when little stones kept jumping into my shoes. I brought them the second time and never needed them. I brought them the third time, and found they got completely soaked and made my shoes much wetter than they needed to be. I have now officially retired the gaiters and have learned to tie my shoes properly.

If you walk with water resistant zip off pants, you can use the bottoms as gaiters - sure the bottom half of your legs get wet but it is just water (and mud that you can wash off ) and dry later

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We did the Camino Frances in April/May 2014, rain was our constant companion at the start and at the end of the Camino. Also walking in and around Farm backyards, the gaiters were an invaluable piece of kit. I find that rain pants get wet quickly from condensation.

I used to walk in showerproof trousers which kept the rain off more or less, and with an Altus poncho coming to below my knees the lower legs are the only things that can get wet. These days I walk in running tights (and a skirt) and will be bringing some superlight simple gaiters to keep my tights from getting wet as they dry slower than my trousers did, and also to stop water running into my shoes. Some people just roll their trouser legs up and get wet because skin dries faster than cloth ... Gaiters don't guarantee dry feet though.

I use short waterproof gaiters in bad weather to prevent rain coming into my shoes and when it is a lot of mud to keep the mud out. It is easier to clean a pair of gaiters than to get the mud off your shoes. I always bring them like I bring raintrousers, rainjacket and poncho. Have had some days of heavy rain on every camino and never regretted carrying the raingear.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was shopping rain gear the other day and looking at the Gaiters at REI and the salesperson/experienced hiker said I only need gaiters for snow hiking. I am curious if they are standard equipment for April rain along the Camino.
I can't speak from experience, as this will be our first camino, but after much research and talking to others, we have been advised to keep our shoes dry when it rains and wear trekking sandals instead. Regardless of waterproofing your shoes apparently they will still get soaked from beneath if it's heavy and continuous rain. We will be practising walking in the rain in our sandals (also trialling with a pair of toe socks to help protect from blisters) before we leave home.
We have purchased colourful gaiters to wear on a daily basis to keep debri from entering our shoes
https://dirtygirlgaiters.com
Only time will tell if we have made the right decision.
Keen to hear others thoughts.

The only time I found the gaiters to be of great help was on the West Coast Trail in British Columbia. We had the record rainfall and the first 2 days from Port Renfrew were knee deep mud in some places:) Other than that, never again. I tried shorter gaiters on Camino del Norte, and didn't need them, rain and all; I sent them back with a friend who walked with me for 10 days. So, I'd say, no. Hiking pants clean & dry off so easily anyway, why carry extra weight? Ounces turn into pounds in no time:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I took gaiters on my first camino, which turned out to be my wettest as well. They had no appreciable effect on keeping anything dry, they are just a few ounces of extra stuff. When it rains, you will get wet. When the sun comes out, you will dry.

I wore these small gaiters on my first Camino:
1657593959235.jpeg
I used these small gaiters on my first Camino.
They did an excellent job of keeping small stones out of my shoes.
This last one, I didn't have them and wished I had.
But, I used all the "rock stops" to munch on snacks😎

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.