• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaiters, poncho,old school style..

Chuck Cunningham

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting April, 15, 2017
I have seen posts on wet feet resulting in discomfort and blisters. Back in the day most all AT hikers wore gaiters, the old school type that start just below the knee. These weigh in at about 6 oz. I wear Timberland Chocuras hiking boots (truly a water proof boot and extremely comfortable). Then don gaiters, then a light weight silnylon poncho. First of all you won't sweat in a silnylon poncho like you will a rain jacket. I have uses some of the latest, ultralight, breathable rain jackets and sweat like a hog in all of them. The poncho allows a LOT of ventilation. With this set up i can walk thru big puddles, mud and you name it. my pants stay clean and dry and my feet stay dry. no need for rain pants and jacket. i realize that the down side is a little added weight but IMHO, the trade off is worth it. YMMV (your mileage may vary.)
https://www.rei.com/product/838677/rei-co-op-trail-gaiters

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I made my own gaiters from an old Goretex jacket because the commercial ones were a bit too heavyduty for a camino. Sewed "bra" clasps onto the front hem to attach to boot laces and used a simple velcro closure. Very light at 25g or 3 oz each.

I take a poncho and rain jacket. Only use the jacket for showers or as a wind stopper.

I made my own gaiters from an old Goretex jacket because the commercial ones were a bit too heavyduty for a camino. Sewed "bra" clasps onto the front hem to attach to boot laces and used a simple velcro closure. Very light at 25g or 3 oz each.

I take a poncho and rain jacket. Only use the jacket for showers or as a wind stopper.
I admire people that can make their own gear.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

is a picture possible please?

Sure! I don't pretend to be a professional gear maker tho! Coming up...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thats Awesome!! Good for you! Thank you for sharing.

No problem. I'm sure someone more competent with a sewing machine could make a great job!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have seen posts on wet feet resulting in discomfort and blisters. Back in the day most all AT hikers wore gaiters, the old school type that start just below the knee. These weigh in at about 6 oz. I wear Timberland Chocuras hiking boots (truly a water proof boot and extremely comfortable). Then don gaiters, then a light weight silnylon poncho. First of all you won't sweat in a silnylon poncho like you will a rain jacket. I have uses some of the latest, ultralight, breathable rain jackets and sweat like a hog in all of them. The poncho allows a LOT of ventilation. With this set up i can walk thru big puddles, mud and you name it. my pants stay clean and dry and my feet stay dry. no need for rain pants and jacket. i realize that the down side is a little added weight but IMHO, the trade off is worth it. YMMV (your mileage may vary.)
https://www.rei.com/product/838677/rei-co-op-trail-gaiters
I've just had some short gaiters custom-made for me. I wore some longer gaiters last year on the CF. When the weather got extremely bad, my boots got wet through because the gaiters didn't cover the top of the boot toes. That only happened twice and I was careful to get my boots dry by the next morning. Now I will stay bone dry - new gaiters cover whole of top of boot.

Including training and a full CF, I've walked about 1800kms in less than 2 years. Never got a single blister. There are a bunch of causes for blisters but keeping one's feet dry is a big part of that story. I only walk in cooler weather so don't sweat.

Good idea. I've been thinking about making "rain chaps" out of an old (1995) pair of Gore-Tex rain-pants. The inseam is too long for me to wear them as pants and the design makes them impractical to shorten, so they're practically unworn.

They have knee-high zipper openings and velcro closures. I may use suspender clips to attach to bootlaces.

I've just had some short gaiters custom-made for me. I wore some longer gaiters last year on the CF. When the weather got extremely bad, my boots got wet through because the gaiters didn't cover the top of the boot toes. That only happened twice and I was careful to get my boots dry by the next morning. Now I will stay bone dry - new gaiters cover whole of top of boot.

Including training and a full CF, I've walked about 1800kms in less than 2 years. Never got a single blister. There are a bunch of causes for blisters but keeping one's feet dry is a big part of that story. I only walk in cooler weather so don't sweat.
I wonder if it might be the fault of your boots. mine start about where the laces begin and i've never had a problem. Seems if the water is leaking in where the laces begin then you may have a boot problem. Can i ask what type of boot you use? and i assume they are marketed as a "waterproof boot?" Even without gaiters i can stand in water to my ankles and get no leaks... tested them in the tub.. lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wonder if it might be the fault of your boots. mine start about where the laces begin and i've never had a problem. Seems if the water is leaking in where the laces begin then you may have a boot problem. Can i ask what type of boot you use? and i assume they are marketed as a "waterproof boot?" Even without gaiters i can stand in water to my ankles and get no leaks... tested them in the tub.. lol
Hi Chuck,

I have Scarpas. Yes, probably a problem there, but as I said they only leaked very rarely when the water pooled at the bottom of the laces in that little hollow area - the longer, original gaiters don't reach down to cover all the lace area. I wore the longer gaiters anyway, so wearing the shorter ones is no hassle. The longer ones are really meant to be worn while walking in undergrowth which can tear at your clothes and dump lots of water on one's legs. I wear rain pants, so the shorter gaiters won't get so steamy. My boots fit perfectly so I'm reluctant to swap them, will make sure my next pair are truely waterproof.

Mike

Hi Chuck,

I have Scarpas. Yes, probably a problem there, but as I said they only leaked very rarely when the water pooled at the bottom of the laces in that little hollow area - the longer, original gaiters don't reach down to cover all the lace area. I wore the longer gaiters anyway, so wearing the shorter ones is no hassle. The longer ones are really meant to be worn while walking in undergrowth which can tear at your clothes and dump lots of water on one's legs. I wear rain pants, so the shorter gaiters won't get so steamy. My boots fit perfectly so I'm reluctant to swap them, will make sure my next pair are truely waterproof.

Mike
Hi Chuck,

Mike
Great, it sounds like you came to a good compromise. you can keep your scarpas and now have waterproofing. i know how hard it is to try to change boots from one that works well for you. i'm that way with my timberlands... tried trail runners, solomons...didn't work.. went back to the slightly heavier old tried and true boots. have you tried putting some waterproofing on your boots? at least the exposed part? just a thought but it sounds like you have things all worked out. good for you man. Buen camino my friend.

Great, it sounds like you came to a good compromise. you can keep your scarpas and now have waterproofing. i know how hard it is to try to change boots from one that works well for you. i'm that way with my timberlands... tried trail runners, solomons...didn't work.. went back to the slightly heavier old tried and true boots. have you tried putting some waterproofing on your boots? at least the exposed part? just a thought but it sounds like you have things all worked out. good for you man. Buen camino my friend.
I sprayed them a couple of times before Camino, so there's a weakness there for sure. They only got wet in extreme conditions, although I wouldn't try standing in ankle-deep water as I should be able to do in properly waterproof boots. I had plantar fasciitis which had almost healed before I left for Spain, so didn't want to swap boots as they fit so well and support my ankles. There's also the whole blister issue - my Scarpas fit so well I figured that they were helping me to avoid blisters. I have my eye on some Italian Asolo Bajura boots which have a shock absorbing feature. Foot strike for 800kms was a nuisance. I have a good pair of Merrells which don't support my ankles and gave me the PF in the first place, while training. No way hiking trainers like the Merrells would keep my feet dry in a day-long downpour.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.