• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaiters

pelerine

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Another one, year after year...
Many items of gear are discussed in this forum such as backpacks, shoes, trekking poles and umbrellas. When it comes to rain gear I have not yet come across gaiters. I find gaiters extremely useful for stopping water from getting into my shoes - hate the squish squish it produces at every step plus hate getting my feet wet - so I carry gaiters on all of my caminos.

Am I the only one?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
no ,i do too ,,,mine are the aussie style that all rural workers use but are in oilskin !!

Funny you ask this as I was literally online shopping for some gaiters for my Camino next week and decided to head to search the forum for info.

I'm convinced if only to keep the mud off my pants.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought of gaiters too but never tested or used them. Would it depend on what other rain gear you had?. Would it stop the rain that dribbels down your legs getting into your shoes? Would it depend on the length of your poncho? I can see a use when walking in the wild countryside through long grass or Heather but that's not the Camino. I can see where it would help with mud alright. That's just a few random thoughts.

I take Gaiters. I wore them probably five days on my last Camino, very nice to have in heavy rain as they work well with the poncho and gortex shoes to keep me dry. If I thought my pack was too heavy, they would be the first things to go since they are only useful on a few occasions. I wasn't the only one wearing them, not including the group of German teenagers that had taped garbage bags around their legs for a temporary fix, to great effect. Whether they are worth it depends on when you walk, and what the weather turns out to be like.

I'm also thinking of bringing icetrekkers to go over my shoes for the descent from Alto

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, simeon! They do stop water from dribbling into your shoes from your poncho. AND of course they keep clean the bottom of your trouser legs.

Although my gaiters (made in China, VERY cheap!) weight 200 grams and take space, I always bring them in hikes longer than one day.
As I always use trail running shoes, gaiters are soooo useful, when it rains. :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah i wear trail hiking shoes and they're not waterproof so I feel like I need the gaiters. i just ordered them on Amazon, arriving tomorrow.

Leaving for Spain on Thursday for my 2nd Camino. 3 months since the end of my first one and it's been too long.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had a bit of a nightmare with gaiters but that's because I'm an idiot who used them to keep pebbles out of my boots rather than their intended purpose.

Still, a word of warning to all gaiter users. Be careful when wearing in hot weather, as well as keeping water out they'll also keep it in and feet can soon overheat and blister. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Good day to all.
I noticed mention of ponchos. I thought I had read in a couple places where ponchos were not recommended due to windy conditions along the Camino Frances. Have experienced pilgrims used ponchos and not experienced big issues? I start my first Camino in early April.
Thank you for your knowledgeable advice.

Hi RJH! I use a trekking umbrella. Don’t like rain on my face and find I sweat under a poncho. To supplement the umbrella I have made a sort of cape which goes over my pack and covers my shoulders, but is open in front, so I can breathe. This contraption also serves to sit/lie on during picnic and siesta (very important!)....
Buen planning and camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
PS The umbrella doubles as a sunshade! Covers head and complete upper body! So my head can breathe and I do not need a hat.

Dirty Girl Gaiters are lightweight and effective at keeping out pebbles and larger bits of dust and twigs.

Good day to all.
I noticed mention of ponchos. I thought I had read in a couple places where ponchos were not recommended due to windy conditions along the Camino Frances. Have experienced pilgrims used ponchos and not experienced big issues? I start my first Camino in early April.
There are a great number of people who wear ponchos and swear by them. In particular, the Altus brand seems to be preferred for a number of reasons, including they don’t flap around in the wind as they are fitted/adjustable.
The last time I checked, the brand wasnt available to purchase here in the states unless you order online. You can, however, buy one in SJPP or other places along the way.

Having said this, my own preference is a good quality rain jacket that I can also use as part of my layering system on cold and windy days. The key, in my opinion, is using what works for you and in which you have confidence. Oh, and also maximizes your chances of staying dry(er) and warm(er).

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dirty Girl Gaiters are lightweight and effective at keeping out pebbles and larger bits of dust and twigs.

I have always worn low gaiters when walking distance. This is mainly for the dust and small stones that seem to find their way into my low cut shoes if no gaiters are worn. At the end of the day, I look at the dusty gaiters and think that would be on my socks, feet and down the side of my shoes. Gaiters are also easy to wash and dry.

Good day to all.
We favour ponchos because they can be slung on over the pack and removed easily without having to remove the pack as would be necessary with a jacket. No problem with them and dry easily too. We carry lightweight rainproof trousers and fleeces for warmth. One hint - make sure the over-trousers go on without having to remove your boots/shoes.

Never having needed gaiters we decided that they do have some uses at home. However cost and weight was an issue so I bought a spare pair of sale price lightweight rainproof over trouser and cut the bottom of the legs off. Hemmed and elasticated this made one pair of gaiters. Then I cut the tops and seamed and hemmed them with elastic top and bottom to make a second pair. They work well. Job done :).

There are a great number of people who wear ponchos and swear by them. In particular, the Altus brand seems to be preferred for a number of reasons, including they don’t flap around in the wind as they are fitted/adjustable.
The last time I checked, the brand wasnt available to purchase here in the states unless you order online. You can, however, buy one in SJPP or other places along the way.

Having said this, my own preference is a good quality rain jacket that I can also use as part of my layering system on cold and windy days. The key, in my opinion, is using what works for you and in which you have confidence. Oh, and also maximizes your chances of staying dry(er) and warm(er).

Buen Camino
Thank you for your response

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We favour ponchos because they can be slung on over the pack and removed easily without having to remove the pack as would be necessary with a jacket. No problem with them and dry easily too. We carry lightweight rainproof trousers and fleeces for warmth. One hint - make sure the over-trousers go on without having to remove your boots/shoes.

Never having needed gaiters we decided that they do have some uses at home. However cost and weight was an issue so I bought a spare pair of sale price lightweight rainproof over trouser and cut the bottom of the legs off. Hemmed and elasticated this made one pair of gaiters. Then I cut the tops and seamed and hemmed them with elastic top and bottom to make a second pair. They work well. Job done :).
Thank you for your response

IMO - Ponchos are a must have item no matter which Camino one walks. They are a multi purpose item that can be used for staying dry, using as a bed liner, using as a floor liner in the event you are forced to sleep outdoors, good for first aid uses, can be used to create heat/warmth, can be used to melt snow, can be used to deflect wind and can be used as a litter if the need arose to move an injured someone. Just my thoughts........

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have always worn low gaiters when walking distance. This is mainly for the dust and small stones that seem to find their way into my low cut shoes if no gaiters are worn. At the end of the day, I look at the dusty gaiters and think that would be on my socks, feet and down the side of my shoes. Gaiters are also easy to wash and dry.

exactly why i wear gaiters ,,, or known as sox savers here in oz

Hi RJH! I use a trekking umbrella. Don’t like rain on my face and find I sweat under a poncho. To supplement the umbrella I have made a sort of cape which goes over my pack and covers my shoulders, but is open in front, so I can breathe. This contraption also serves to sit/lie on during picnic and siesta (very important!)....
Buen planning and camino!

I think this setup should have a picture to clarify :)

Took DIY gaiters on a couple of caminos. I made my own out of an old gortex jacket because the commercially made ones all seemed a bit on the heavy/over engineered side. Didn't need them in Spain but have used them here in Finland whilst snowshoeing. I will be taking them on any late autumn, winter or early spring camino in future.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    833.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    774.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    892.7 KB · Views: 12

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.