• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Galaxy Note 3 as Video Camera - How to Backup?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Our Camino seems a long time in coming :( But we are within 8 months now, so the planning and training needs to get seriously started. I'll need the 8 months to lose some weight and get fit!

I plan to shoot some video. Maybe make a personal video diary, perhaps some interviews and thoughts along the way. My initial thoughts were to take along my trusty Kodak Zi8, external mic, using poles as a tripod etc.

But........I can take just as high quality video on my phone. I'm taking it anyway. A Galaxy Note 3. It takes an external mic (using adapter) has good video functionality, and using a 'Glif' it can be tripod mountable.

But my challenge is this. (would have been the same with the Kodak). How do I backup my video files. I certainly don't want to carry a computer. And the files will be far too big to upload to the cloud via internet cafes etc.

I expect to accumulate a few cards of video files, and would feel better if I knew I had a backup of each card, maybe stored in my wife's pack. It would be awful to be 4 weeks in, and find the previous 4 weeks of video was lost or damaged.

Any thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I leave in a week. Going to shoot RAW images and videos. Here's my tested solution.
(I'm using an iPad mini, but you should find these apps for your GN3.)
Purchase a Dropbox upgrade to get 1 TB of cloud storage. Figure out the best way to transfer videos to your tablet (likely mp4 only, the ipad has a connector for SD cards.). Use CameraSync app to upload to Dropbox.
WiFi is available throughout the CF. Save video files in folders and upload smaller chunks. I'm going to try to stay under 30 seconds per video shot when possible. For get AVCHD.
That's the thumbnail, send me a PM if you have questions.
Buen Camino.

ps - I'm also carrying lots of SD cards.

Last edited:
Get a few 64GB SD cards and pack a small USB SD card reader and upload to a cloud storage site at an albergue desktop computer or your Note 3 on wifi.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks guys. It's the size of file that I am concerned about. Availability of Wi Fi and connection speed might be an issue. I wouldn't want to rely on just that for my backups. I tend to shoot 3-4 minute documentary style segments. These can easily be 500MB+ each. That's a lot of bandwidth!

Of course I could just upload direct from my GN3, (to dropbox or similar) but I'm not sure what type of SIM cards are available and if it's possible to get one with a really big data package. If I could buy a data pack with 5-10 GB that would be easy. just upload each evening. If upload speed is OK.

The simplest option might be.....to just connect a thumb drive to the phone and backup onto that? There's an adapter I think.

CaptBuddy. Not sure I see the purpose of the iPad. Maybe I'm missing something? I guess you are using a 'camera' as opposed to a phone.

CaptBuddy. Not sure I see the purpose of the iPad. Maybe I'm missing something? I guess you are using a 'camera' as opposed to a phone.
Yes, Robo, I'm using a Sony A6000. Much lighter that the Canon 5D2 I carried last time. :eek: Never again.
We're staying in Spain and Europe for a while after the Camino, so the iPad/Dropbox makes some sense (the Sony RAW image files are 24MB). In the cities such as Leon, Burgos, etc., WiFi is very good. Cell data plans are very, very expensive. I'm paranoid about losing SD cards, and they'll be 2 of us shooting, so the Cloud is my "comfort zone".
Otherwise, lots of SD cards is likely just as good. What I'm doing is probably overkill, but I want to process some images for sharing from Spain. Keep it simple.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, Robo, I'm using a Sony A6000. Much lighter that the Canon 5D2 I carried last time. :eek: Never again.
We're staying in Spain and Europe for a while after the Camino, so the iPad/Dropbox makes some sense (the Sony RAW image files are 24MB). In the cities such as Leon, Burgos, etc., WiFi is very good. Cell data plans are very, very expensive. I'm paranoid about losing SD cards, and they'll be 2 of us shooting, so the Cloud is my "comfort zone".
Otherwise, lots of SD cards is likely just as good. What I'm doing is probably overkill, but I want to process some images for sharing from Spain. Keep it simple.

Yes, I might try the cloud as a backup Plan B (when I can get access). And extra cards / thumb drives as my Backup Plan A.

How times change. 40 years ago I was a very keen SLR user. All the lenses, did my own developing and printing. Had a couple of 'compacts' as well.

About 5 years ago I bought a DSLR. Canon. I use it at work sometimes where I need Hi Res shots.

But I rarely use it now. I shoot all my video on my Kodak Zi8. Hi Res. Training videos, promos for the web etc. And stills? I've only used my phone for the last 2-3 years. A succession of iPhones, 3, 4, 5. And now the GN3. I reckon it takes as good quality as my DSLR! Mind you, I'm not a professional and don't require the images to be printed on billboards. Mainly seminar presentations and websites. The DSLR sits in it's bag these days......

I think when my trusty Zi8 gives out, I won't replace it. I'll just use my phone.

Interesting. I looked at the 3GB card. There is a connection fee and then it looks lie a tariff based on minutes connected. That could be very expensive. Think I'd prefer one that has no connection time limit, but just a data limit.

My guess is you looked at the base rate and not the package rate. The carriers all tend to offer a certain amount of data for a price. If there is a minute rate that tends to mean you haven't selected one of the offers-

Thanks guys. It's the size of file that I am concerned about. Availability of Wi Fi and connection speed might be an issue. I wouldn't want to rely on just that for my backups. I tend to shoot 3-4 minute documentary style segments. These can easily be 500MB+ each. That's a lot of bandwidth!

Of course I could just upload direct from my GN3, (to dropbox or similar) but I'm not sure what type of SIM cards are available and if it's possible to get one with a really big data package. If I could buy a data pack with 5-10 GB that would be easy. just upload each evening. If upload speed is OK.

The simplest option might be.....to just connect a thumb drive to the phone and backup onto that? There's an adapter I think.

WiFi if you need to upload is your best bet. 3G isn't exactly fast . At least not when compared to wifi.

Email to your gmail account. Use your Google drive account.

The problem with extra cards,drives etc is if you lose your pack you've lost your backup and the orginals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting. I looked at the 3GB card. There is a connection fee and then it looks lie a tariff based on minutes connected. That could be very expensive. Think I'd prefer one that has no connection time limit, but just a data limit.

The tariff and connection fees applies to outgoing voice calls, it doesn't apply to your data allowance. It's still cheaper than international roaming on your home carrier.
You might be able to get away with 3GB data and available wifi, if you max out the data, add more credit to cover the price of data you want at a tabak store, phone store, or locutorio, then add more data by sending a text to the phone carrier. When it comes to uploading video, it really depends on how many are on the network, you might be able to upload most of your video clips in the late evening or early morning.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.