• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Galicia - beaches and seafood

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
I noticed this article in today's Guardian - it might be of interest to those thinking of spending some time in Galicia after their Camino. It also mentions a few Camino places - e.g. A Coruña, Ribadeo, Fisterra, Vigo, Pontevedra.

As the rain batters my window this afternoon, the thought of being on a beach in Galicia is very appealing indeed!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll take a look at the link later. Here in Surrey I've been walking in our lovely countryside with my Camino companion / good friend. As always lots of laughs and loads of shared Camino memories.

I digress, it is very blowy here but mostly sunny a good day for walking.

I believe we are all feeling the tail end of Hurricane Gert coming in from the Atlantic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm in A Coruña right now. The beaches here are fabulous. The city is just the right size to have plenty to see and do without being overwhelmed by choices. 20170819_132402.jpg I'm only here for three days and wish that I'd given up a day in Madrid to stay longer.

NualaOC, thanks!

If you have time after walking a Camino, the FEVE narrow gauge train along the coast of Northern Spain is great.

Spring of this year rode the FEVE trail from Ferrol.
Beautiful views. You can get off at many beautiful towns/cities. Beautiful views of beaches, ocean, mountains, towns...

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...spain-feve-railway-santander-asturias-galicia

Beaches in Galicia:

https://www.spain-holiday.com/Galicia/articles/10-beautiful-beaches-in-galicia

The best of the best is in San Sebastian in Basque Country:

Nothing beats La Concha beach. San Sebastian..

https://www.thelocal.es/20170717/spains-best-beaches-for-2017

Love San Sebastian! Great beaches. Great city. Great food and people. Ride bike through world's longest bike tunnel there. Only problem with San Sebastian is it is close to the most expensive city in Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
NualaOC, thanks!

If you have time after walking a Camino, the FEVE narrow gauge train along the coast of Northern Spain is great.

Beautiful views. You can get off at many beautiful towns/cities. Beautiful views of beaches, ocean, mountains, towns...

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...spain-feve-railway-santander-asturias-galicia

Beaches in Galicia:

Love San Sebastian! Great beaches. Great city. Great food and people. Ride bike through world's longest bike tunnel there. Only problem with San Sebastian is it is close to the most expensive city in Spain.

Thanks for those links, Marty! I've saved them all for future reference/camino dreaming.

I will be back on the Camino del Norte in a few weeks time and am already looking forward to a swim in San Sebastián and a few other places along the way. I especially love the first glimpses of the San Sebastián beaches on the approach to the city.
IMG_0190.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am near Castro Urdales on the Norte as I write. The weather is perfect! The only challenge is everyone is here as well, relaxing for their August holidays. I should have started in Sept.

"its wild landscape, seemingly more Scottish than Spanish, is the most beautiful on the Iberian península".

Is that true? What about Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque country.
Probably in the combination coast and landscape Galicia is the most beautiful.

"its wild landscape, seemingly more Scottish than Spanish, is the most beautiful on the Iberian península".

My wife's mother walked the Camino Frances 5 years before I did. When I got home she asked me which part of the route I liked best. Without hesitation I said "Galicia". Her reply was "Of course! It is so like Scotland." :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife's mother walked the Camino Frances 5 years before I did. When I got home she asked me which part of the route I liked best. Without hesitation I said "Galicia". Her reply was "Of course! It is so like Scotland." :)

Of course, you must hold Galicia in context, like Scotland. If you can handle the rain and not seeing the sun the other 8 months out of the year, well then you got something!

I'm in A Coruña right now. The beaches here are fabulous. The city is just the right size to have plenty to see and do without being overwhelmed by choices. I'm only here for three days and wish that I'd given up a day in Madrid to stay longer.
You lucky thing!! I spent a day in A Coruña in June - to get away from the heat on the Meseta - and managed to walk 13 km around the old town, headlands, the port, and the beach! ~ with a stop for a fabulous seafood salad and a few café con leches!
Have a wonderful time!!

Earlier this year I spent 2 weeks as a hospitalero in Miraz at the end of June. I then went up to A Coruna.It's not a particularly attractive town though it has a nice town beach and great seafood. I then went on to Vigo for 3 days which I loved, a lovely 'old town' and setting looking over the estuary. The undoubted highlight was going out to the Cies islands, simply stunning

Attachments

• cies.jpg
    cies.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • cies 2.jpg
    cies 2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for those links, Marty! I've saved them all for future reference/camino dreaming.

I will be back on the Camino del Norte in a few weeks time and am already looking forward to a swim in San Sebastián and a few other places along the way. I especially love the first glimpses of the San Sebastián beaches on the approach to the city.
View attachment 35769

Hi, Nuala, oh lucky you! If you want any details on some of those coastal options, just let me know. Hope you are well. Hugs.

Hi, Nuala, oh lucky you! If you want any details on some of those coastal options, just let me know. Hope you are well. Hugs.
Thanks Laurie - I'm very well thanks and hope you are too!
I've copied and pasted most of your notes about the coastal options on the Norte. They are so helpful - it was really good of you to record everything so meticulously when you were walking this route. We'll hopefully reach Gijon, or perhaps Oviedo this year, then back for more in 2018. Nuala

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
NualaOC, thanks!

Beaches in Galicia:

There are some wonderful beaches further south not listed here (not difficult given the sheer volume) ...i swam at Sabaris just near biona, and the Panxon beach and front is outstanding. On a rest day in pontevedra I took a bus to sanxenxo...excellent beach.

Attachments

• WP_20170614_012.jpg
    WP_20170614_012.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • WP_20170615_002.jpg
    WP_20170615_002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • WP_20170618_047.jpg
    WP_20170618_047.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.