• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Galicia Xunta Covid Cert check

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
FYI: staying a short distance from SdC tonight (10/26/2021) on the CP and was surprised by the 100% Covid vaccination certificate check in place at the public albergue! First time in 27 days that I had to present proof of vaccination (which I have). Two pilgrims in front of us claimed to be vaccinated, but were turned away since they had no official proof. Hospitalero directed them to a nearby private accommodation.

Kitchen closed, masks required indoors unless eating/sleeping, and showers are cleaned between each use.

Very stringent even after the rest of the region has dropped similar past restrictions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trecile: you are correct! That is EXACTLY what this public albergue is doing. It’s quite good since it provides an extra layer of protection for those of us staying here. Hard to believe anyone lacks vaccination this far into the Camino given Spain’s high vaccination rate as well as the newer requirements to enter the country via long-distance transport, but it’s possible.

I will say the hospitalero is very strict regarding cleaning protocols, masking, and other pertinent rules. Funny, really, given the usual disorder and “barely there” feel of most Xunta accommodations.

The increased protocols only delayed check-in by 15 minutes or so and showers by the same.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kitchen closed, masks required indoors unless eating/sleeping, and showers are cleaned between each use.

Very stringent even after the rest of the region has dropped similar past restrictions.
The enforcement of health and hygiene measures may be stringent and even welcome, but the denial of access to a kitchen that has neither basic cooking nor dining facilities is unlikely to distress the pilgrim with previous experience of Galician kitchens. An empty gesture over empty kitchens?

Trecile: you are correct! That is EXACTLY what this public albergue is doing. It’s quite good since it provides an extra layer of protection for those of us staying here. Hard to believe anyone lacks vaccination this far into the Camino given Spain’s high vaccination rate as well as the newer requirements to enter the country via long-distance transport, but it’s possible.

I will say the hospitalero is very strict regarding cleaning protocols, masking, and other pertinent rules. Funny, really, given the usual disorder and “barely there” feel of most Xunta accommodations.

The increased protocols only delayed check-in by 15 minutes or so and showers by the same.
Excellent information. More of the same everywhere is needed, not just on Camino...(I am now carrying my Covid cert with me everywhere I go. I rarely go for coffee or tea outside my home, but I did yesterday, and I had to ask the assistant to check my status.)

Dit is in strijd met de uitspraak van Het Spaanse Hogergerechtshof:... Dit moet de regering voor 6 okt moeten ontzenuwen, al die beperkingen.

Please use Google Translate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, @Galuh has posted something about Spain's courts striking down the requirement, however, it is my understanding because this is optional for albergues and not a requirement, it is being allowed in Galicia. If albergues do adopt this measure they can go up to 100% capacity.

Not sure about Galuh’s point since I don’t know how Spanish politics works of the State vs autonomous regions, but let’s be clear: I am in favor of strict checks that ensure the safety of pilgrims in a foreign land.

Galicia tried to make a blanket requirement to show an APP with your vaccination status several months ago and it was struck down in the federal courts.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
i recommend that all intending pilgrims carry positive proof of their vaccination status until and unless Spain formally stops anyone for asking for it for any purpose. This proof might be electronic (like a QR code issued by a government entity) or a paper record (like in the US).

It is easier to just provide the proof than to argue the point with someone who is just trying to run their business and comply with rules that might be applicable. Whether mandated by the state or province, or voluntarily applied by the landlord, as visitors to Spain or any other country, we MUST comply.

Simply put, if you want to access the service or products on offer someplace, you must comply with the rules the landlord or proprietor has set for their business. Think of it as a corollary of "No shirt, No Shoes, No Service -).

Remember, we are guests in Spain or any other Camino country. I advise going along to get along rather than debating the issue.

On the other hand, if you are not yet vaccinated, or a COVID survivor with documentation of antibody status, I cannot do or say anything that might help you.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Het is een besluit van het Hogere Gerechtshof niet de normale rechtbank. Voor mij wordt het waarschijnlijk geen Camino.

Please use Google Translate...
It is a decision of the Supreme Court not the normal court. It probably won't be a Camino for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just came off the inveirno and the first 2 xunta Albergues on the sanabres required proof of vaccinations - I think it’s great and wish more would as I did meet several unvaccinated pilgrims along the way choosing to stay in dorm accommodations which I felt was wrong!

Dit is in strijd met de uitspraak van Het Spaanse Hogergerechtshof: https://www.burgerfront.nl/het-spaanse-hooggerechtshof/
This is a rather long article in Dutch and it is two months old. The source is indicated as zerohedge but there is no link. Frankly, I did not bother to continue to read this article after the first few sentences.

Yes, earlier similar laws had been introduced in Galicia and in other Spanish regions and they were struck down by the courts. Much has changed since then.

The current Galician law about the obligation to show proof of vaccination in albergues who chose this option has been approved by the TSXG court. The law is in force in Galicia since October 9, and it is unchallenged. Get used to it.

Last edited:
FYI: staying a short distance from SdC tonight (10/26/2021) on the CP and was surprised by the 100% Covid vaccination certificate check in place at the public albergue! First time in 27 days that I had to present proof of vaccination (which I have). Two pilgrims in front of us claimed to be vaccinated, but were turned away since they had no official proof. Hospitalero directed them to a nearby private accommodation.

I'm curious about what place it is. I just arrived from Portugal about a week ago and I wasn't asked for covid passport. Was it Padrón or O Faramello?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
O Farramello

€60,-
And has the added benefit of protecting the locals from hazards of travellers from foreign lands...
Which is exactly what the TSXG court said who had to approve the law of the Galician government: Having to show the Covid vaccination certificate cannot be understood as “a disproportionate sacrifice” since the use of the albergues is voluntary, and the fact that “people unrelated to each other and who may come from different places and countries” with different vaccination rates make it necessary to “establish additional measures to safeguard health” in order to allow an increase of the level of occupancy of the albergue.

It's the law of the land, and the land is Galicia.

https://www.xunta.gal/notas-de-pren...os-75-con-certificado-covid-tras-autorizacion

Wow. I never was even asked for mine the whole Frances route Sept thru October!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow. I never was even asked for mine the whole Frances route Sept thru October!
That's because this is a fairly new policy for albergues in Galicia. They can choose to follow these new guidelines if they want to increase their capacity.

To be honest, I'm shocked that any albergue would or could allow anyone to stay without proof of full vaccination.

As the article I posted states, younger people in Spain are less likely to be vaccinated. Older people were prioritized and even though vaccines are now available even to children there has been a fairly strict procedure of appointments. Now that things are opening up this may give an impression that perhaps a vaccine is not needed for a Camino so this will help albergues maximize beds for vaccinated individuals. Spain and Galicia have a high vaccination rate overall and do not face the high rate of government distrust and anti-vaxer attitudes that we face in the US. Still there are young people and children unvaccinated for a variety of reasons.

To be honest, I'm shocked that any albergue would or could allow anyone to stay without proof of full vaccination.

Yep... and yet such things happen all over the place. my favourite local restaurant has just been very public in declaring that they won't follow the provincial law requiring that such businesses ask for the proof of vaccination status from clients.

And so I won't be going there anymore.

My sense of many regions in Spain and Portugal (from the forum and other sources) is that for the most part, people want more assurances, not fewer... follow a more cautious path rather than less... there's been so much death...

I expect that many albergues are happy to have this new rule and new ability to operate at full capacity, and I wish them a robust return to steady business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.