• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Garden Restaurants on CF?

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
Inspired by the “ Searching for the ‘secret’ Santiago” Post” I was wondering if anyone had any “ Secret Garden Restaurants “ (with or without lodgings) that they know of in Burgos , Leon, Astorga, or Sarria? Given that we will need to be careful eating indoors for a while, even with a vaccine, having these locations would be a great help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know about secret garden restaurants, but I found that roughly a quarter of restaurants had tables on the terrace where one could eat outdoors. Indeed, one of the attractions of the Camino for me was taking my dinner at the edge of a plaza with the sky overhead and the stones still warm from the day's sun.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I don't know about secret garden restaurants, but I found that roughly a quarter of restaurants had tables on the terrace where one could eat outdoors. Indeed, one of the attractions of the Camino for me was taking my dinner at the edge of a plaza with the sky overhead and the stones still warm from the day's sun.
Yes, very true, but I was looking for a more relaxed, shaded atmosphere.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can happily recommend Casa Felisa. We have eaten there on each of our visits, often more than once. The Menu Del Dia is good value for money, for the quality and quantity of food. If you get there when they open for lunch, you can get the garden to youself, quite often. If it rains they also have an area under cover, with a view of the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_20190523_142149267.jpg
    IMG_20190523_142149267.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20181002_132056607.jpg
    IMG_20181002_132056607.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20190523_135541337_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190523_135541337_HDR.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 63
Not in the cities you've listed but a very nice place just at the entrance to Melide called Casa Alongos, located on the right side of the path at the beginning of the city proper after the long uphill slope from the river. Lovely atmosphere with vines growing over the seating area, the hostesses were very kind and gracious, and the pulpo was hard to beat.
View media item 7547

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not in the cities you've listed but a very nice place just at the entrance to Melide called Casa Alongos, located on the right side of the path at the beginning of the city proper after the long uphill slope from the river. Lovely atmosphere with vines growing over the seating area, the hostesses were very kind and gracious, and the pulpo was hard to beat.
View media item 7547
I found some photos on TripAdvisor of the outdoor seating area. It looks very nice.

terraza-exterior.jpgfoto-terraza-exterior.jpg

View media item 7547

Thanks, we stopped there a couple of times and the proprietors are very involved with other restaurants in Galicia serving pilgrims...The woman in charge shared with me about how she had just called another restaurant which had significantly overcharged a pilgrim for wine and She told that owner about how he damages the reputation and hospitality for all owners when he rips off pilgrims. Food was very good and great service! It is a welcome respite when the sun is beating down entering Melida.

Any Garden Restaurants in Leon, or Sarria?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bar Deportivo , Navarette , Probably a little too commercial. In the town square opposite the magnificent church. Metres away from the municipal albergue , watch the world go by on the camino while sitting under manicured oaks - Trip advisor gives it four stars.
Please help with a photo someone?

Bar Deportivo , Navarette , Probably a little too commercial. In the town square opposite the magnificent church. Metres away from the municipal albergue , watch the world go by on the camino while sitting under manicured oaks - Trip advisor gives it four stars.
Please help with a photo someone?
TripAdvisor is a great source for photos.

bar-deportivo.jpgphoto0jpg.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Albergue En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino. Don't know how you might differentiate "garden restaurant" with outdoor eating - but this one is outside, under trees and/or grape arbor.
Great! Looking for outside seating - real shade, trees, grapevines etc, decent spacing, and good food. We are considering starting the last few days of August and walking September...which can still be quite warm. So eating in airy, shady places is in the future, we hope!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great! Looking for outside seating - real shade, trees, grapevines etc, decent spacing, and good food. We are considering starting the last few days of August and walking September...which can still be quite warm. So eating in airy, shady places is in the future, we hope!
@Marbe2, I've mostly walked in the Fall when there are MANY outdoor eating places - maybe not necessarily garden restaurants.
Any Garden Restaurants in Leon, or Sarria?
You might ask at the Information Offices, they usually have a good selection and don't necessarily recommend the (dare I say?) tourist places... ;)

...Also, Nájera has many outside eating places along the river - and with the sun setting behind the hills - it's shady and a beautiful setting.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b76.jpg

view from other direction showing the paseo and outdoor seating possibilities
XL8zuEPsTXuYuKpC2fpVEA_thumb_4579.jpg
Buen Camino, @Marbe2, and may a safe one come your way soon...

...Also, Nájera has many outside eating places along the river - and with the sun setting behind the hills - it's shady and a beautiful setting.
View attachment 87699

View attachment 87700
I second Najera, we spent a nice afternoon under an umbrella, watching the world go by.
Also just past Astorga there is an albergue, on the right hand side (I dont know the name of the place) . Not a restaurant, but a nice inside area with a garden where we enjoyed breakfast. I recall a Siamese cat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 87699

View attachment 87700
Yes, Najera does have nice open airy seating possibilities along the river.

Albergue En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino. Don't know how you might differentiate "garden restaurant" with outdoor eating - but this one is outside, under trees and/or grape arbor.
View attachment 87693
I stopped here a couple of times and enjoyed the place but the food not as much. Nice people working there, however. And to be fair, it was winter so perhaps the effort for making menu del dia wasn’t quite there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Triacastela, the Parrillada Xacobeo Restaurant - a part of the Complexo Xacobeo.

I agree. I am not in the habit of taking pictures of my food (I am usually too busy shoveling it inboards), but I do remember having one of the best ‘menu del dia’ in Complexo Xacobeo at a table in the serving area in the street.

Xacobeo.jpg

Last edited:
Shortly before reaching Cacabelos, we sometimes stop at

Casa de Comidas La Moncloa​

gallery​

Featured Image

Attachments

• 63D4C4DE-A97B-43B1-9A08-0348F7E3930B.jpeg
    63D4C4DE-A97B-43B1-9A08-0348F7E3930B.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 47
In Puente La Reina October 2015 I enjoyed a GREAT menu del dia at the La Conrada restaurant at 17 Paseo de los Fueros, which parallels the camino on the south. Then for 10 euros seated in either the comfy bar or outside under umbrellas the meal included pasta salad, fresh octopus with aioli mayonaise and saute potatoes, lemon sherbet, and a glass of wine.

Now in mid-November 2020 the price of the
menu del dia is 11 euros on their current web page.

This is a place to keep in mind for future journeys. Buen provecho!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Puente La Reina October 2015 I enjoyed a GREAT menu del dia at the La Conrada restaurant at 17 Paseo de los Fueros, which parallels the camino on the south. Then for 10 euros seated in either the comfy bar or outside under umbrellas the meal included pasta salad, fresh octopus with aioli mayonaise and saute potatoes, lemon sherbet, and a glass of wine.

Now in mid-November 2020 the price of the
menu del dia is 11 euros on their current web page.

We spent 6 hours hanging out in this place during an early March snow storm several years ago. The storm dropped close to a foot of snow! Was a blessing to be there! The workers were so kind, place was jammed with stranded folks.

Not a restaurant but great little cafe/rest stop on the scenic route route on the way into of VillaFranca del Bierzo. The background music was the late Gurrumul Yunupingu, a famous Australian Indigenous singer guitarist who was also blind. Very peaceful stop.

Attachments

• DSC_1367.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1366.jpg
    DSC_1366.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
Not a restaurant but great little cafe/rest stop on the scenic route route on the way into of VillaFranca del Bierzo. The background music was the late Gurrumul Yunupingu, a famous Australian Indigenous singer guitarist who was also blind. Very peaceful stop.

I do not recall this place. Is it up in the Vineyards somewhere before entering the City? Took the vineyard route in the winter months but do not remember it? We usually now take the road that last stretch and enter the town via the road where the Parador is.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Marbe2. Yes your on the right track. It is not far from the much photographed landmark Vina de los Pinos which we passed before arriving at the outdoor cafe.

Attachments

• DSC_1372.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 18

Well, if you are tempted to leave the Francés in Ponferrada and continue on the Invierno, there is a very nice outdoor garden in the Hotel Las Vegas in San Clodio, just a few kms beyond Quiroga. And the town has a very relaxing river ”beach” area with cafés and a playground. A great spot for seeing Spanish life in action.

The forum Invierno guide says this about the Hotel and its restaurant —

Hotel Restaurante Las Vegas, Rúa do Ferrocarril, 1. Tel. 982 42 82 83 OR 982 43 51 12. Bar opens very early; nice shady garden with tables. This place is actually on the other side of the river in the village of San Clodio, where Quiroga’s train station is located. It gets good reviews and is directly on the Camino. Its bar opens very early. A 2018 pilgrim paid 22 € for a big room with private bath.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, if you are tempted to leave the Francés in Ponferrada and continue on the Invierno, there is a very nice outdoor garden in the Hotel Las Vegas in San Clodio, just a few kms beyond Quiroga. And the town has a very relaxing river ”beach” area with cafés and a playground. A great spot for seeing Spanish life in action.

Hotel Restaurante Las Vegas, Rúa do Ferrocarril, 1. Tel. 982 42 82 83 OR 982 43 51 12. Bar opens very early; nice shady garden with tables. This place is actually on the other side of the river in the village of San Clodio, where Quiroga’s train station is located. It gets good reviews and is directly on the Camino. Its bar opens very early. A 2018 pilgrim paid 22 € for a big room with private bath.
Thanks,
@peregrina2000 I’ll check it out! Actually began making reservations for September! Apparently, the companies must be already busy scoffing up the private facilities as there are already times at good private places that are not available in September for certain weeks but available at other times. If you plan on going and using private facilities, especially from Sarria, I would think about booking rooms. You can always cancel, if vaccine deliveries disappoint!

Last edited:
Actually began making reservations for September! Apparently, the companies must be already busy scoffing up the private facilities there are already times at good private places that are not available in September for certain weeks but available at other times.

Hi, @Marbe2, you are an experienced forum member so you probably already know this, but for other forum members — the fact that booking.com and other hotel booking sites show no availability is no indication of whether the facility actually has availability. Those websites only have access to a fraction of the hotel/pension’s beds. Direct contact with the places is the best way to go, either via WhatsApp, email, or even a phone call.

I believe @Anniesantiago has started booking some places for her groups and reported that a lot of places are asking for a deposit. Totally reasonable, but that may also mean that lots are not using booking.

Attachments

• 1605828440425.jpeg
    1605828440425.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 751CAE53-2EA9-4541-8155-B89D2AE9D485.jpeg
    751CAE53-2EA9-4541-8155-B89D2AE9D485.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 19
  • ADE3A180-3220-46A6-BF93-790E884EE48F.jpeg
    ADE3A180-3220-46A6-BF93-790E884EE48F.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 074A20DB-B332-4726-AEAF-1C408A40C8FA.jpeg
    074A20DB-B332-4726-AEAF-1C408A40C8FA.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree. I am not in the habit of taking pictures of my food (I am usually too busy shoveling it inboards), but I do remember having one of the best ‘menu del dia’ in Complexo Xacobeo at a table in the serving area in the street.

I think we sat where that foursome at the right is! Our first tarta de Santiago - my husband wanted ice cream, but as I was the walker and he was the roadie, I got to pick. He became an immediate fan and has since perfected his own tarta.

I think we sat where that foursome at the right is! Our first tarta de Santiago - my husband wanted ice cream, but as I was the walker and he was the roadie, I got to pick. He became an immediate fan and has since perfected his own tarta.
Thanks for the reinforcement! Will definitely stop there.

Has anyone eaten at Casa del Barrio In Sarria?

I found it on a map.
Immediately, after you cross the Rio Sarria following the Camino trail, turn left.
You will shortly need to turn right on Rua Peregrino. Before you do turn right, stop. you should see this place straight ahead of you, before you turn onto Rua Peregrino. Looks like a great place to stop!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I did explore this possibility! However, there do not appear to be sufficient private accommodations currently availabile along this route at our pace. Even with a vaccine, we do not think it prudent for us to risk shared sleeping quarters or bathrooms on this next camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back