• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Garmin Dakota GPS w/ Camino routes

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a Dakota 10 and Dakota 20. I mount it on my mountain bike handlebars and it works wonderfully. It runs for several days on two AA batteries and is waterprooof.

I've used mine from Italy to Arles and Arles to Toulouse, and it was essential at times, especially on the new Voie Aurelienne from Italy to Arles, where the marking is not great. We like to stay in Chambre d'Hotes, and we would often follow it to the tourist office, (they are all on the Garmin map) and get info on the best places from there. We'd find motels, restaurants, phone numbers as well as following the route.

I don't think it would that useful on the Frances, but it does pack a lot of info into a small package, and makes a handy record of each day's travel. I can go back and find restaurants we ate in just by looking at the track from that day. I seldom use maps anymore. If the track is good enough, you can zoom up to a scale where you know if you are 10 meters off route.

There are many good tracks on the internet. I put them on Google earth, make a few variations for mountain bikes, then load them to the GPS. I don't think buying a Camino specific pre-loaded package is neccessary, but if it is a good package at a good price, why not? I'm not sure what is in that model, but it might save you the time of loading some of the info, and it might have more albergues than the regular Garmin map.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Newfy,

That's some food for thought. I don't know anything about GPS's but have an interest as many people whom I hike with here in Palm Desert, CA use them to track our hikes. Fortunately the hikes are all well-marked so it's used more for distance & elevation info.

I'm planning on walking the Via de la Plata starting March 29th - I've read that there are many instances where pilgrims have gotten lost, either due to poor signage or construction projects, so I was considering the usefulness of carrying a GPS with me....

Thanks, Allison

There is a high quality GPS and Google Earth track of the Via de la Plata available here:

http://users.skynet.be/watermael/gps/Es ... .html#VdlP

It would be easy to download it to a Garmin GPS. Send me a PM if you get one and need any specific help.

The link you put up is a good price for any Dakota 10. Do you know what base maps are in it? I prefer the Dakota 20 because of the ease of adding maps via a micro sd chip. The sd cards can be found cheap on ebay, while the Dakota 10 requires installation via computer. Garmin maps are expensive and hard to unlock and install. There a many free basemaps at GPSfiledepot.com which can be unstalled as well, on the Dakota 10 or 20. For example, you could get free topo maps of California and add them to your unit.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.