• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Garmin Fenix

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi, just wondering if anyone had used a Garmin Fenix to navigate stages on the Camino (yes, I know there are big yellow arrows, but humour me!😂)
Any tips, advice, comments etc would be great
Thanks in advance
Frank

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, just wondering if anyone had used a Garmin Fenix to navigate stages on the Camino (yes, I know there are big yellow arrows, but humour me!😂)
Thanks in advance
Frank
I have used Wikiloc on Camino Olvidado and others Caminos when it was needed, only be aware of the lasting of your batteries ( get your phone on avión ✈️ mode ).

I used mine to track my walk for the day but not for navigation- just followed the yellow arrows
Thanks for the reply, the main reason I wanted it was to be able to work out how much distance was left on my day, ETA etc

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use my Garmin GPSMAP 64S for tracking and when no arrows and no shells are available at a certain moment 🤪
Occasional Geocaching too.
Watches tend to have a small battery and short operation time.
The Fenix is a nice watch, but to small screen and less overview of the map.
Try before using it on the Camino to see if it will do the job you expect it to do.
Better try one from someone before buying.
Buen Camino 👌

Last edited:
Thanks in advance
Frank
I downloaded Guthook, a US app for hikers. You can download offline maps and photos onto your iPhone. The GPS was 100% accurate on the few times I got lost in the dark and wasn’t paying attention. There is a fee for the Camino Frances and some other routes.

it’s good for detail on distances, water and Alberges, but I think there are better apps for Alberges. Pilgrim?

l loved Guthook and found that the arrow always pointed the way I needed to go as I rotated the phone. Certainly not essential, but an inexpensive nice to have. Doesn’t drain your battery.

I left my Garmin (not a fenex) at home and took a normal digital watch that didn't need charging every few days. Simpler.
I also took the map version of the Brierly guide, small/light and this was enough for next day plans and todays options. I often stayed off the "Brierly Stages". I could generally work out how much further I needed to go and the yellow arrows mark the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have lived my life with my nose on a map / app etc. Now that my consciousness has evolved to realize the time on this planet is limited / finite, my assurance is a compass for cloudy days, my, "feeling," for the right direction is what I now depend on. I am not so much doing it, "old school," as I hope to demonstrate human ability and contact with locals as I go, if I need a nudge in the right direction.

Ys, in a different country with a different language, even the most rudimentary attempt to speak in Spanish will be greeted with incredible gratitude, and likely more than you could have hoped for.

Bi go maith!

try to stay as hightechless as possible. any navigation device will just distract you from the real purpose.. getting lost is a part of the journey.. you never know whom you will meet and what you will see and learn while finding the right Way. Paulo Coelho has described his experiences, you may discover yours, and at the end of the day you may realise they are priceless..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.