• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Garmin watch

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys!

Anybody brought a garmin GPS watch on the Camino?

If so, how did you manage to record your days? Regular recording or Ultra Trac? Enough charge for a day? Any trouble recharging? Is it worth it in the end?

A little technical maybe, but your input is always welcome !

Thank's,

Max

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not me, although I’ve used a Fitbit. It fell off and was lost on the Via de la Plata. Now I have a cheap Garmin copy watch that records step, km, heartbeat and a gps breadcrumb trail. Probably the most useful function is the alarm which vibrates to wake me in the morning, without disturbing other sleepers.

Probably the most useful function is the alarm which vibrates to wake me in the morning, without disturbing other sleepers.
This is the only type of alarm that should be allowed in albergues!!!

Why the he!! do people think that it's acceptable to set an audible alarm (for 5am) in a shared space???!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is the only type of alarm that should be allowed in albergues!!!

Why the he!! do people think that it's acceptable to set an audible alarm (for 5am) in a shared space???!!
Right about that my friend! You don't have to pass a common sense quiz to walk. I hope this doesn't offend those who think we should all just shut up and take any crap and rudeness anyone exhibits because THE CAMINO HAS NO JUDGEMENTS!!! I always think this is the biggest judgement of them all.

Yes, I used a Garmin ForeRunner 35 this May on the Portuguese Coastal route and loved it. There wasn't the quantity of mileage markers on this route as found on caminos such as the Frances so I was pleased to know where I was and how far I had to go as I was very conscious of recently healed muscles issues.

I started the GPS when I set out in the morning and stopped it when I finished; usually pausing it for any break. The battery life is 13 hours while tracking, 5 days on normal so I charged it either daily or every other day depending on my mileage. It takes a special cord but that plugs into any usb charger so that's easy. I downloaded each day to the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone over wifi and took screen shots of the day's route and sometimes elevation profile for my blog.

Here's an example of the screenshots: IMG_2101.PNGIMG_2102.PNG

I wouldn't know how to use a Garmin or any other device. I don't wear a watch while walking the Camino.
I just use the guide book.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A My Garmin is a watch. You push a button to start tracking, push same button to stop. When you're done, you open the app and push the icon to download the data. Easy peasy.

Yes, I used a Garmin ForeRunner 35 this May on the Portuguese Coastal route and loved it. There wasn't the quantity of mileage markers on this route as found on caminos such as the Frances so I was pleased to know where I was and how far I had to go as I was very conscious of recently healed muscles issues.

I started the GPS when I set out in the morning and stopped it when I finished; usually pausing it for any break. The battery life is 13 hours while tracking, 5 days on normal so I charged it either daily or every other day depending on my mileage. It takes a special cord but that plugs into any usb charger so that's easy. I downloaded each day to the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone over wifi and took screen shots of the day's route and sometimes elevation profile for my blog.

Here's an example of the screenshots: View attachment 61990View attachment 61991
Bit worried about those elevations. Did you take a ladder?

Seriously, I’m wondering if you can upload a history of where you actually walked after you’ve finished a day of walking with your watch.

We hope to do the Via del Plata next April and we are researching GPS type watches at the moment.

Thanks

Graham

I have a vivoactive 3 and I used it last year on the Salvador and Frances and this year on the Portuguese. I took a battery pack and charged my watch at lunch hour or while on a long break. Only one day we didnt stop for lunch and my watch died at 3:30 pm so I missed recording the last 2 km. I find it really easy to use but I had to be organized to charge it during the day and again at night. It also uses Garmin Connect app so my maps etc look like the examples from @alipilgrim. I love the information it provides - my heart rate, walking speed, elevation etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.