• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

gas canisters & outdoor equipment shops on the camino france

vagabond

Time of past OR future Camino
camino mozarabe
Hi!

Been reading a lot about advice on whether to bring a tent or not. I´ll bring mine so I´ve got the flex to spend the night wherever I please due to the event of full albergues. Has anyone of you any experience of getting gas canisters to an outdoor kitchen from Primus (Eta Express) AND where I can find outdoor equipment shops along the camino frances. I know there are shops in Astorga and Leon since I walked the camino frances in 2010, but about other places and for instance in SJPP?

blessings, jo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There was a couple from the US who I met quite often along the way who were camping out most nights. Whatever sort of camping gas they used, they seemed to be able to head to ordinary petrol stations for refills. The man had a very big pack, but I imagine it was still some form of camping gas they used...
Margaret

Viana has an outdoor equipment shop (that's about a week into the hike). Burgos has one on the hike out of town on the left hand side (but doesnt open until about 9am). I know i saw a few others but i cant recall where they were, sorry!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
vagabond said:
Hi!

Been reading a lot about advice on whether to bring a tent or not. I´ll bring mine so I´ve got the flex to spend the night wherever I please due to the event of full albergues. Has anyone of you any experience of getting gas canisters to an outdoor kitchen from Primus (Eta Express) AND where I can find outdoor equipment shops along the camino frances. I know there are shops in Astorga and Leon since I walked the camino frances in 2010, but about other places and for instance in SJPP?

blessings, jo

Jo,

Equipment for pilgrims is available in Saint Jean Pied de Port in the two shops Boutique du Pelerin at 32 rue de la Citadelle and Direction Compostelle nearby on the place Floquet. Both are run by a helpful, experienced pilgrim. !" See --http://directioncompostelle.com.

Another large sports equipment store in SJPdP is Loisirs Passions at 18 avenue du Jai Alai .

Buen Camino,

Margaret

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We did the Frances in 2008 and bought epigas canisters in St Jean. However, we never had to use it as there was always a place to get food (the menu del dia is always good value) and coffee. Epigas canisters (these can screw off and onto your stove for easier backing) are few and far between. We did the Primitivo route with an Epigas stove, but never did find any canisters. What we did find in hardwear stores were plenty of the bluet type of cannister (these are pierceable and you can't screw the stove back off, which makes for awkward packing). You can, however, get a special adapter for an epigas stove that takes the pierceable cylinders and makes this screw on and offable. We never had any problem getting food on the Camino Primitivo. There are a couple of albergues after Lugo (San Ramon de Retorta and As Seixas) where there are no local food shops, but the albergues have full cooking equipment, so the lack of a working stove was never a problem. I have known some camping peregrinos to stop at an alberge, ask to take a show and cook food and then move on to camp a few km out of town. Not all albergues will allow you to do this for free. Some may ask that you pay the price of a bed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...r-equipment-shops-on-the-camino-france.14669/
Hi!

blessings, jo
Hi Vagabond.
Have a look here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...r-equipment-shops-on-the-camino-france.14669/
Buen Camino
Jochen

Try your luck almost anywhere-in Castrpjeriz right next to the albergue there was always a good sporting goods place and Castrojeriz is not exactly the center of the universe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've seen outdoor shops in SJPP, Pamplona, Leon, Burgos, and Santiago.
A lot of times the Ferreteria has outdoor equipment as well.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back