• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear advice for base, mid and top layers for mid April start

F

Former member 71219

Hi everyone

I'm hoping to get some advice please. I've done so much research and I'm feeling the "overwhelm" - I keep changing my mind and refining my gear list to perfect it, but now I'm thoroughly confused, particularly with the gear I need for my top half.

I plan to walk a Spring camino from SJPDP, mid April start. I "run hot" (thanks menopause) but also understand that conditions at that time of the year can be wildly unpredictable. My base list is below and when I arrive, I will assess the weather and buy beanie, gloves if needed.

What I need help with is the final (ish) list below (this is just top half):
- Arc'teryx Atom Hoody (I will also have the Packa poncho/jacket for heavier rain)
- x1 long sleeve merino "175 Everyday" base layer
- x2 merino T shirts
- x1 long sleeve columbia shirt (mainly sun protection days)
- x1 merino tank top (mainly for sleeping)

I've read this thread here and gained some valuable insights but would still like some feedback since my list is slightly different. I understand that every "body" is different and conditions for April are unknown at this stage - all this considered, what are your thoughts on the above? Do I need more/less?

Please be honest but gentle.

Thank you!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not sure if it helps, but for a spring Camino (pretty much every route) I take 2 long sleeve thin merino long sleeve t shirts (probably like your base layer, but maybe sized up so a bit loose). Two because I wear one of these every day and all the time, regardless of the weather. The long sleeves provide sun protection, they wick perspiration, they don't smell, and they regulate temperature. One on, one in the wash. I don't take separate night clothes (including when sleeping), but wear the clean clothes I will walk in the following day.

Apart from that I take one warmer layer and a waterproof, wind resistant, outer layer (an Altus) I do have a RAB wind jacket that I love, and sometimes add that, but mainly because it is stylish! It is not essential.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It looks fine to me, too. All of those items layered would keep you warm in the coldest conditions. However, buff/scarf/hat are easy and convenient accessories to help, even when you might not need the full insulation of that hoodie. The stage you are most likely to need the gloves is the one from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Early morning can be chilly there! So I'd recommend taking a cheap pair of gloves - from the start - that you might abandon after Roncesvalles.

I'm not sure if it helps, but for a spring Camino (pretty much every route) I take 2 long sleeve thin merino long sleeve t shirts (probably like your base layer, but maybe sized up so a bit loose). Two because I wear one of these every day and all the time, regardless of the weather. The long sleeves provide sun protection, they wick perspiration, they don't smell, and they regulate temperature. One on, one in the wash. I don't take separate night clothes (including when sleeping), but wear the clean clothes I will walk in the following day.

Apart from that I take one warmer layer and a waterproof, wind resistant, outer layer (an Altus) I do have a RAB wind jacket that I love, and sometimes add that, but mainly because it is stylish! It is not essential.
Thank you, this is very helpful. Off to google RAB Wind Jackets šŸ˜„

It looks fine to me, too. All of those items layered would keep you warm in the coldest conditions. However, buff/scarf/hat are easy and convenient accessories to help, even when you might not need the full insulation of that hoodie. The stage you are most likely to need the gloves is the one from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Early morning can be chilly there! So I'd recommend taking a cheap pair of gloves - from the start - that you might abandon after Roncesvalles.
Thank you! Yes I should have mentioned the buff. That's in my pack list, thank you!

I have a pair of gloves - I'll take your advice and pack them, and will leave in a donation box in Roncesvalles, or wherever they've stopped serving their purpose. Thank you for your feedback!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
have a pair of gloves - I'll take your advice and pack them, and will leave in a donation box in Roncesvalles, or wherever they've stopped serving their purpose.
Roncesvalles is too soon! I ended up with socks on my hands in O Cebreiro - in July!
It was cold!

Roncesvalles is too soon! I ended up with socks on my hands in O Cebreiro - in July!
It was cold!
Yes O Cebreiro was on my mind when I said "or wherever they've stopped serving their purpose". The weight penalty to carry them is insignificant so I will definitely hang on to them. šŸ˜ Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone

I'm hoping to get some advice please. I've done so much research and I'm feeling the "overwhelm" - I keep changing my mind and refining my gear list to perfect it, but now I'm thoroughly confused, particularly with the gear I need for my top half.

I plan to walk a Spring camino from SJPDP, mid April start. I "run hot" (thanks menopause) but also understand that conditions at that time of the year can be wildly unpredictable. My base list is below and when I arrive, I will assess the weather and buy beanie, gloves if needed.

- Arc'teryx Atom Hoody (I will also have the Packa poncho/jacket for heavier rain)
- x2 merino T shirts

I've read this thread here and gained some valuable insights but would still like some feedback since my list is slightly different. I understand that every "body" is different and conditions for April are unknown at this stage - all this considered, what are your thoughts on the above? Do I need more/less?

Thank you!
Looks good, similar to what I take. If you don't need it, donate it to someone who does - the hospitaleros will pass it on. If you need it but haven't got it, you can buy it along the way e.g. Pamplona has lots of hiking/camino shops. rain jackets are good for wind protection as well. A pair of gloves is a good idea as well, and a light scarf. You'll be fine. Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My favourite ā€œgarmentā€ on a spring Camino was a pair of arm warmers. You can buy them at any running/hiking/cycling shop. They basically turn a short-sleeved top into a long-sleeved top, and were typically taken off on my spring Camino within 20-30minutes as I warmed up. I could easily take those off and tie them around a strap on my pack, allowing for a ā€œchange of clothesā€ without even breaking stride. Lighter and more versatile than a second long-sleeve shirt for me.

Looks good, similar to what I take. If you don't need it, donate it to someone who does - the hospitaleros will pass it on. If you need it but haven't got it, you can buy it along the way e.g. Pamplona has lots of hiking/camino shops. rain jackets are good for wind protection as well. A pair of gloves is a good idea as well, and a light scarf. You'll be fine. Buen camino.
Thank you! Great to know I'm on the right track. šŸ˜

My favourite ā€œgarmentā€ on a spring Camino was a pair of arm warmers. You can buy them at any running/hiking/cycling shop. They basically turn a short-sleeved top into a long-sleeved top, and were typically taken off on my spring Camino within 20-30minutes as I warmed up. I could easily take those off and tie them around a strap on my pack, allowing for a ā€œchange of clothesā€ without even breaking stride. Lighter and more versatile than a second long-sleeve shirt for me.
This is exactly where I went into a world of confusion! Because I generally have a very warm core and peel off layers quite early, I actually had those on my list but pulled them out in favour of the base layer. It's so confusing and difficult to know what the right decision will be for that first Camino. My base weight is 6.5kgs not counting what I'm wearing so maybe I can slip a couple in! Thank you for your feedback. šŸ˜

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As others have said, it's all about layering.
You seem to be on the right track.

I also run hot and almost regardless of the time of year, carry.........

Base Layer.
Very lightweight long sleeve Marino shirt (120-140 gsm) every day. If hot, I roll the sleeves up.
Surprisingly I find Merino comfortable in hot and cold weather.

Most days this is all I wear.

Mid Layer.
A lightweight fleece.
Rarely needed other than cold mornings / evenings.

Top Layer.
Really just for rain / wind.
Very lightweight gortex rain jacket.

I also usually walk mid April.

I can only think of a handful of days out of 100+ that I wore all three layers.
Like maybe 4-5 days all up.

Usually Base + Mid.
or
Base + Top.

PS.
I don't carry a poncho as I have the rain jacket and rain pants.

I carry very lightweight gloves.
Handy on the odd cold morning but more handy to reduce sunburn as I use poles all the way.

As others have said, it's all about layering.
You seem to be on the right track.

I also run hot and almost regardless of the time of year, carry.........

Base Layer.
Very lightweight long sleeve Marino shirt (120-140 gsm) every day. If hot, I roll the sleeves up.
Surprisingly I find Merino comfortable in hot and cold weather.

Most days this is all I wear.

Mid Layer.
A lightweight fleece.
Rarely needed other than cold mornings / evenings.

Top Layer.
Really just for rain / wind.
Very lightweight gortex rain jacket.

I also usually walk mid April.

I can only think of a handful of days out of 100+ that I wore all three layers.
Like maybe 4-5 days all up.

Usually Base + Mid.
or
Base + Top.

PS.
I don't carry a poncho as I have the rain jacket and rain pants.

I carry very lightweight gloves.
Handy on the odd cold morning but more handy to reduce sunburn as I use poles all the way.
Thank you, some great advice there. I've watched a number of your packing videos and I've gleaned a lot of useful information from them, so thank you!

It looks like you are getting some excellent advice. I started on April 1 in SJPP on two trips and was fine with those items. You need the layers in the Pyrenees, but then things get warmer and warmer by the end of April. I waited until Pamplona and then shipped some things to SJPP (Ivar will store) -- reduced my weight by 2 kilos. Also, my first Camino I had a silly routine of keeping two sets of some walking layers -- wear one, get to alberque and switch into "clean" walkers for the next day, and wash dirties. I did this religiously -- but soon realized that no one really cares if you are walking in clothes that are not fresh. Now, I take only one set of "walking clothes", and then a much lighter set (and more comfortable) "hang out at albergue" set. When I get a clear, dry afternoon, I wash my walking clothes -- otherwise, they get three or four days without washing. This has cut my weight by a kilo or two.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For an Oct/Nov camino I would put on a short sleeve tee and a long sleeve tee, both merino. The first one put on depended on the afternoon temperature that I expected; the top layer came off as I walked.

Although I already had polypro short sleeve tees I picked up the merino one to avoid the stink factor. I probably wouldn't have due to cost but I got it at a really good discount.

Regarding gloves: I brought a pair of Icebreaker glove liners for my Camino last year. Super lightweight, will not save you in a blizzard, but will protect from cold. They weighed just under 1 ounce and I loved them for chilly early mornings.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Such great info in here already and I donā€™t have menopause as Iā€™m a guy so a heavy dose of salt with my suggestions. Iā€™ll add 2 take it or leave it cents. Like other have said layers are the way to go. I warm up really fast. So I use a merino shirt then layer a thin, synthetic vest and then an arcteryx waffle weave thin fleece mid layer over that. If itā€™s really cold (sub 5Ā°C for me) I will add my RAB rain jacket over the top of that. Add a beanie and a buff and Iā€™m good for most weather. So..layers which youā€™ve already figured out šŸ˜‚.

Hi everyone

- x2 merino T shirts

Thank you!
I started last April, on the 16th. It was cold in the mornings and nights, with a number of days with light rain and a few days of heavy rain. My list was much like yours, 2 merino wool t-shirts, 1 long sleeved thermal, 1 long sleeved sun shirt, 1 fleece, 1 lightweight Gortex jacket and rain pants (loved my rain pants). All were used extensively, all in the one day. Going over the Pyrenees was misty in the morning, then the sun shone with little wind (but about 2 weeks later there was snow), I was blessed. Going up O Cebreiro for me was hot šŸ”„, very hot, then I spent that night in Fonfria where it was cold ā„ My biggest surprise was the mud, lots of it for days in the beginning. I used a buff, beanie and gloves, lost my gloves in Pamplona where it was cold and wet, so bought a new pair. Bought a new towel in Burgos as mine went missing from the clothes line in Granon, bought some new undies in LeĆ³n and Cacabelos (clothes line again - how lucky, both times there was a lingerie shop right near where I was staying), bought a new pair of hiking pants in LeĆ³n, as mine started to fall off me, and some swimmers (cossies, bathers) in Finisterre where I spent 4 glorious days swimming in the ocean. Don't stress, if you find you need something extra, or lose things like me, you will be able to buy it there. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Now, I take only one set of "walking clothes", and then a much lighter set (and more comfortable) "hang out at albergue" set. When I get a clear, dry afternoon, I wash my walking clothes -- otherwise, they get three or four days without washing. This has cut my weight by a kilo or two.
Wow, well done. This sounds so stress free once you've let go of the idea that your clothes need to be washed every day. But not sure I'm brave enough to attempt it on my first Camino. I'll certainly report back if I do! ;)

For an Oct/Nov camino I would put on a short sleeve tee and a long sleeve tee, both merino. The first one put on depended on the afternoon temperature that I expected; the top layer came off as I walked.
That's exactly the system I'm expecting to use, but your additional info on how you layer (depending on the afternoon temperature) is clever, I will definitely factor that one in. Great feedback, thank you!

I too, have the ā€˜endless summerā€™ issue. Do you have a wool beanie? Iā€™ve found mine a perfect way to regulate. I can take it on and off quickly when I have a hot flash.
The endless summer - that's great! So true.

Yes I have a beanie but wasn't planning on taking it - reading the comments to my question, it's on the list. Thank you for your advice. It's a great strategy to cool down quickly! šŸ˜

Regarding gloves: I brought a pair of Icebreaker glove liners for my Camino last year. Super lightweight, will not save you in a blizzard, but will protect from cold. They weighed just under 1 ounce and I loved them for chilly early mornings.
I have gloves but never once considered glove liners. I think this will be a much better solution for me, thank you so much for the idea, and at 27g it's very easily justified. Thank you for the great idea.

Such great info in here already and I donā€™t have menopause as Iā€™m a guy so a heavy dose of salt with my suggestions. Iā€™ll add 2 take it or leave it cents. Like other have said layers are the way to go. I warm up really fast. So I use a merino shirt then layer a thin, synthetic vest and then an arcteryx waffle weave thin fleece mid layer over that. If itā€™s really cold (sub 5Ā°C for me) I will add my RAB rain jacket over the top of that. Add a beanie and a buff and Iā€™m good for most weather. So..layers which youā€™ve already figured out šŸ˜‚.
Thank you for your contribution. It's always reassuring to know my choices are in line with seasoned veterans :). The thing that has beent tripping me up is the "weight"/ thickness of the layers. My long sleeve base layer is finer fabric than my merino T shirts so it makes sense for that to go on first but such a pain if I need to take it off as it will be under my T shirt. It seems to be too fine a fabric to go over my merino T. Maybe I just need to keep looking to find a better option to go over my Tshirt.
Thank you again for your contribution, it's appreciated. šŸ˜

I started last April, on the 16th. It was cold in the mornings and nights, with a number of days with light rain and a few days of heavy rain. My list was much like yours, 2 merino wool t-shirts, 1 long sleeved thermal, 1 long sleeved sun shirt, 1 fleece, 1 lightweight Gortex jacket and rain pants (loved my rain pants). All were used extensively, all in the one day. Going over the Pyrenees was misty in the morning, then the sun shone with little wind (but about 2 weeks later there was snow), I was blessed. Going up O Cebreiro for me was hot šŸ”„, very hot, then I spent that night in Fonfria where it was cold ā„
Thank you for your feedback! It's very reassuring to me as this is the exact timeframe I'm looking at. It sounds like I'll be well prepared given your pack list was very similar. If it happens to snow I might be in a spot of trouble with my clothing but the pass will likely be closed and I will have to take the low road. Either way, high road or low road, if it's been snowing it will be significantly colder in general so I will possibly have to pick up something extra in SJPDP.
Thanks again for your great feedback, it's appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I certainly don't think you need anything more.
Just layer these and you'll be fine.
Sorry Annie, I replied to your post but for some reason it's disappeared so responding again.
Thank you for your advice - as I've commented elsewhere on this post it's always reassuring to get validation from seasoned veterans such as yourself, thank you. šŸ˜

Hi everyone

- x2 merino T shirts

Thank you!
Male physiology perspective, I walked from 2nd May 2022 aged 59.
About 2-3 days before I started a lady had to be rescued from the pass over the Pyrenees due to hypothermia, she wasnā€™t prepared for the cold, falling snow and very high windchill factor.
When we crossed on the 3rd May a light dusting of snow from 1st of May still covered the very top of the pass, but the wind had reduced so it was cool but not windchill frigid.
I packed an old pair of thermal longjohns in my bag as contingency leg warmth based on the weather forecast before I left. Luckily I didnā€™t need them under my zip-off trousers, donated them once I had cleared Roncevalles.
I had 3 long-sleeve icebreaker merino 175 shirts (long sleeves also helped with my sun protection). They are great as they can be layered up. Over my daily 175 shirt I always wore a long sleeve sun shirt - dried quickly every day, offered a degree of wind proofing and the fold up collar helped with sun protection on the back of my neck during the later stages.
I carried an Rab ultralight hybrid down jacket, and combined with my goretex jacket I then had a great system. I could have got away with using a lightweight down gilet. I wore the jacket on several evenings in the first 15 days when the temps plummeted to below 15C.
I had windproof fleece Gloves, mornings could be chilly until about an hour after sunrise.
I packed a fleece beanie, but my buff and sun hat were more than enough to keep my head warm. Beanie could have stayed at home.
Check the forward weather forecast from about two days before you leave, adjust your cooler packing choices to suit the first 200 miles. In the north of Spain weather fronts tend to move from West to East so you will be walking into whatever weather is happening 1-2 days ahead of you. There are always exceptions to this - extreme springtime cold can move south over Spain from Northern Europe, extreme heat will be tracking north from the Sahara.
Donā€™t bin your gloves, pre-dawn starts until mid-May can be chilly.
After that, rain is more likely to be the challenge.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Male physiology perspective, I walked from 2nd May 2022 aged 59.
About 2-3 days before I started a lady had to be rescued from the pass over the Pyrenees due to hypothermia, she wasnā€™t prepared for the cold, falling snow and very high windchill factor.
When we crossed on the 3rd May a light dusting of snow from 1st of May still covered the very top of the pass, but the wind had reduced so it was cool but not windchill frigid.
I packed an old pair of thermal longjohns in my bag as contingency leg warmth based on the weather forecast before I left. Luckily I didnā€™t need them under my zip-off trousers, donated them once I had cleared Roncevalles.
I had 3 long-sleeve icebreaker merino 175 shirts (long sleeves also helped with my sun protection). They are great as they can be layered up. Over my daily 175 shirt I always wore a long sleeve sun shirt - dried quickly every day, offered a degree of wind proofing and the fold up collar helped with sun protection on the back of my neck during the later stages.
I carried an Rab ultralight hybrid down jacket, and combined with my goretex jacket I then had a great system. I could have got away with using a lightweight down gilet. I wore the jacket on several evenings in the first 15 days when the temps plummeted to below 15C.
I had windproof fleece Gloves, mornings could be chilly until about an hour after sunrise.
I packed a fleece beanie, but my buff and sun hat were more than enough to keep my head warm. Beanie could have stayed at home.
Check the forward weather forecast from about two days before you leave, adjust your cooler packing choices to suit the first 200 miles. In the north of Spain weather fronts tend to move from West to East so you will be walking into whatever weather is happening 1-2 days ahead of you. There are always exceptions to this - extreme springtime cold can move south over Spain from Northern Europe, extreme heat will be tracking north from the Sahara.
Donā€™t bin your gloves, pre-dawn starts until mid-May can be chilly.
After that, rain is more likely to be the challenge.
Wow brilliant feedback, thank you! The snow and windchill factor is definitely a concern. As you suggested the best course of action would be to assess conditions 2 days before I leave and adjust accordingly. From what I understand there's a store in SJPDP where I can pick up anything I might need. I've been swayed re the gloves, I will definitely be packing something.
Your information about the weather and the direction it travels is also very useful, thank you. The rain is something I'm also concerned about in Galicia. By then hopefully I will know how my Packa holds up. I'm looking at the Gossamer hands free umbrella for sun protection so that can be a back up if needed.
Thanks again, really useful information! šŸ˜

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And another note for those chronically overheated folks like me, Arcteryx also makes a mid-layer called the Proton LT which is designed for exertion in cold weather. So it keeps you warm while letting the perspiration out. Iā€™ve done a ton of research on this subject to get my next piece of gear. (your Atom is another great jacket Celeste with great features)

This leads me to your base layer. It should be worn on the snug end rather than loose like a standard t-shirt. The purpose of the base layer is to lift sweat off of your skin and out toward the mid and outer layers. The evaporation keeps you cool and preventing moisture from accumulating keeps you warm when you stop moving and start to cool down. so I tend to use a short sleeve base layer so I donā€™t have to strip down fully to get cooler as I warm up. I canā€™t wear long sleeve merino (even 175) throughout the day because even that is too hot for me.

My apologies if that was way more info than anyone needs.

And another note for those chronically overheated folks like me, Arcteryx also makes a mid-layer called the Proton LT which is designed for exertion in cold weather. So it keeps you warm while letting the perspiration out. Iā€™ve done a ton of research on this subject to get my next piece of gear. (your Atom is another great jacket Celeste with great features)

This leads me to your base layer. It should be worn on the snug end rather than loose like a standard t-shirt. The purpose of the base layer is to lift sweat off of your skin and out toward the mid and outer layers. The evaporation keeps you cool and preventing moisture from accumulating keeps you warm when you stop moving and start to cool down. so I tend to use a short sleeve base layer so I donā€™t have to strip down fully to get cooler as I warm up. I canā€™t wear long sleeve merino (even 175) throughout the day because even that is too hot for me.

My apologies if that was way more info than anyone needs.
Thank you for the additional information, it's never too much. I prefer the idea of a short sleeve base layer too. I need to go to a store and try the 175 on over my merino Tshirt to see how that works. I agree the base layer shouldn't be lose.
Thanks again for your input, much appreciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone

- x2 merino T shirts

Thank you!
Thanks for posting this questions Shaz. I am leaving same time and had similar thoughts. Maybe will see you out there.

Hi everyone

- x2 merino T shirts

Thank you!
I am towards the end of April. When I hike, my upper body gets very hot. But at night, I have had some very cold nights despite the brutally hot days in the middle of summer.
My list for upper body:
--3 Patagonia sleeveless shirts (I may change to t-shirts in April
--2 Columbia long sleeve shirts
--in April, I will take a vest for the cold mornings
--a rain jacket (for rain or as another layer)
Note, that I take 3 instead of 2 shirts because occasionally I want a day off from washing for various reasons)

I am towards the end of April. When I hike, my upper body gets very hot. But at night, I have had some very cold nights despite the brutally hot days in the middle of summer.
My list for upper body:
--3 Patagonia sleeveless shirts (I may change to t-shirts in April
--2 Columbia long sleeve shirts
--in April, I will take a vest for the cold mornings
--a rain jacket (for rain or as another layer)
Note, that I take 3 instead of 2 shirts because occasionally I want a day off from washing for various reasons)
Thanks for your feedback. I love your list, very practical! I'm also in the "3 sets of clothing" camp. One to wash, one to wear, and one spare (just in case...). :) Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
With merinos you're probably fine; however I'll point out that in 2018 (yes it was that long ago, then a postgrad and Covid happened, so I've not finished!) I did the stage from Burgos to Leon, and it SNOWED. At one stop, an ambulance had to be called for walkers who were suffering with hypothermia. While this is unusual at that time of year, I'd just strongly advise checking the forecast nearer the time. Apparently (according to my Catalan friend and cousins who live in Barcelona) usual April weather is "similar to the UK" so basically wet and annoying.

FWIW, even in that weather I was fine with merino base layers, one lightweight fleece and a rain jacket. But I'm glad that I didn't just rock up in a t-shirt.

Late to the party but want to contribute:
I used this setup for mid May CF:

2x Merino T-Shirt (mine are Ortovox but any will do)
1x thin merino Longsleeve (Decathlon Travel)
1x thin long sleeve button shirt
1x Atom SL (not the warmer LT)
1x Rainjacket

Lots of combinations possible. The button shirt works really well when it is very hot (i burn easily). The Atom SL was warm enough, combined with t-shirt and longsleeve, and in single digits sometimes with the rainjacket on top. But in the evenings, when sitting out with friends, it sometimes became a little cold.
So i bought a light fleece at Decathlon. The lightest would likely have been enough. But i went one heavier (Lightest is MH20, i took MH100. Maybe 50g difference)
After that i ran into a heat wave and wore the new fleece exactly once. But you never know.

Whats also really important for me are some ultralight gloves. I use the cheapest Decathlon model (like 2ā‚¬) and the come in at around 30g. I really like them in the mornings and when it's raining (not waterproof but better than nothing).
I also like my necktube (aka Buff) a lot. As a hat, on my neck, as a sweatband, over the ears or eyes... so many uses.

edit: full packing list
Packliste 2022.JPG

Hi Walkerooni!
Liked this idea so just brought some!
To me it has the same benefit as having two pairs of zip off trousers with one set of bottoms!
Woody

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
With merinos you're probably fine; however I'll point out that in 2018 (yes it was that long ago, then a postgrad and Covid happened, so I've not finished!) I did the stage from Burgos to Leon, and it SNOWED. At one stop, an ambulance had to be called for walkers who were suffering with hypothermia. While this is unusual at that time of year, I'd just strongly advise checking the forecast nearer the time. Apparently (according to my Catalan friend and cousins who live in Barcelona) usual April weather is "similar to the UK" so basically wet and annoying.

FWIW, even in that weather I was fine with merino base layers, one lightweight fleece and a rain jacket. But I'm glad that I didn't just rock up in a t-shirt.
I think weather variability is becoming more and more common now, and we can't rely on past trends. Thank you for that anecdote, a sobering reminder to check a few days in advance and prepare accordingly. :)

Late to the party but want to contribute:
I used this setup for mid May CF:

2x Merino T-Shirt (mine are Ortovox but any will do)
1x thin merino Longsleeve (Decathlon Travel)
1x thin long sleeve button shirt
1x Atom SL (not the warmer LT)
1x Rainjacket

Lots of combinations possible. The button shirt works really well when it is very hot (i burn easily). The Atom SL was warm enough, combined with t-shirt and longsleeve, and in single digits sometimes with the rainjacket on top. But in the evenings, when sitting out with friends, it sometimes became a little cold.
So i bought a light fleece at Decathlon. The lightest would likely have been enough. But i went one heavier (Lightest is MH20, i took MH100. Maybe 50g difference)
After that i ran into a heat wave and wore the new fleece exactly once. But you never know.

Whats also really important for me are some ultralight gloves. I use the cheapest Decathlon model (like 2ā‚¬) and the come in at around 30g. I really like them in the mornings and when it's raining (not waterproof but better than nothing).
I also like my necktube (aka Buff) a lot. As a hat, on my neck, as a sweatband, over the ears or eyes... so many uses.

edit: full packing list
View attachment 138981
Excellent information thank you so much. Especially appreciated your packing list. I love all the UL equipment you have chosen. I was looking at the GG G4-20 backpack but I have to order online - a bit risky since nowhere here stocks them locally for me to try on first and I'm not convinced the frameless pack won't irritate me. I think they may take some getting used to?

Really appreciate your feedback, thank you.

Excellent information thank you so much. Especially appreciated your packing list. I love all the UL equipment you have chosen. I was looking at the GG G4-20 backpack but I have to order online - a bit risky since nowhere here stocks them locally for me to try on first and I'm not convinced the frameless pack won't irritate me. I think they may take some getting used to?

Really appreciate your feedback, thank you.
My first CF i went with a GG Murmur, the second with the Bonfus. Both packs worked really well, with the murmur i kinda disliked the unpadded shoulder straps, lacking daisy chain and insuficient compression. So i went for the Bonfus and put in a 180x50cm 2mm EVA pad to reduce the volume and add some back padding.
Frameless does definitely take some getting used to, but once you figure it out and your pack is light enough it works perfectly. Even weight aside, they have features most standard packs lack, like the big mesh net at the front that i absolutely love or waterproof(ish) fabrics. The G4-20 seems a solid pack, personally i would go for the Kumo since i don't need the volume, but thats nitpicking.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My first CF i went with a GG Murmur, the second with the Bonfus. Both packs worked really well, with the murmur i kinda disliked the unpadded shoulder straps, lacking daisy chain and insuficient compression. So i went for the Bonfus and put in a 180x50cm 2mm EVA pad to reduce the volume and add some back padding.
Frameless does definitely take some getting used to, but once you figure it out and your pack is light enough it works perfectly. Even weight aside, they have features most standard packs lack, like the big mesh net at the front that i absolutely love or waterproof(ish) fabrics. The G4-20 seems a solid pack, personally i would go for the Kumo since i don't need the volume, but thats nitpicking.
Yes I think 40L is overkill but it doesn't have to be filled to the brim (although it's easier to do so if you have the space) and it can be cinched down. Plus I'm in love with the colour šŸ˜ I will have a look at the Kumo and check my local outlets to see if anyone stocks them. Thanks again for the valuable feedback!

I have a Gossamer Gear pack that I love so I can vouch for the build quality. Sadly they donā€™t make this pack any longer (didnā€™t survive the Covid cut to their line up). Arcā€™teryx Fluidity 35 is also a very nice pack

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh and the backpack thing is huge in here so there will be a ton of advice from women who have done a shedload of research into it. I fully acknowledge that what works for me doesnā€™t work for everyone.

In terms of backpacks?
I take a Pathfinder 45. It's basically a 35l rucksack with side, top and bottom pockets bringing it up to 45l when fully expanded, so I guess it's not really 45litres?

A few reasons:
1) It's the bag I already had.
2) It's comfortable.

I can honestly fit all of my Camino gear into a regular day sack/schoolbag of around 20l, and could pack lighter than that, but the larger bag has advantages - I can put all food etc. for the day into it easily, the side pockets give easy access for things (or a place to store sandwich bags of tp), and my poles fit into the bag which I can then check in for the flights. The rucksack also has hip/waist and chest straps - one of my day bags has a small strap for the waist, but it's nowhere like as comfortable. That said, I'm tallish for a woman, at 5'7".
In terms of "how much too big this bag is", please note that I can fit a sleeping bag, bivvy sack, and tent, inside this thing (not attached), plus my walking boots, on top of everything I need for a summer Camino. Given that I'm not taking the tent, I obviously cinch the thing down significantly unless I have a load of bread and stuff in it. I also keep a water bladder inside (clothes etc. are in a dry bag), with an additional "easy fill" water bottle - the bladder is used once the bottle runs out, if it can't be refilled at that point.
So yeah, I mean, functionally, it's too big.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Wellā€¦ā€¦ about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.