• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear Envy: MHM Salute 34L Backpack (Midnight Black)

Helen1

Time of past OR future Camino
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Browsing around Sports Pursuit and came across the Ho34L Backpack (Midnight Black). It's a good size for a camino, and I like the loop of the S zip and the pockets. However, I have lovely rucksack and really don't need another one, although that s zip is very tempting!

More here: http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/740743/join/Helen_King_53730
I tried to look at it but there was some advertisement popped up in the middle of the page and I couldn't get it out of my way.

Hmmm... it's an irritating website that makes you login to see anything. Have posted photos below. I had thought that if they gave you a link to share they might at least let other people see it!

Found a better link try:
http://mhmgear.com/salute-34
or

Attachments

• mhm_salute_open.jpg
    mhm_salute_open.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 16
  • mhm_salute34_midnightblack_front_r_.jpg
    mhm_salute34_midnightblack_front_r_.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 19
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks like a good pack. Perfect size for the average Camino. I may scale down if I do another one.
Anybody interested in buying my 48L REI? ;)

a 34l backpack at 3.8 lb? empty? your are kidding right?

zzotte

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
a 34l backpack at 3.8 lb? empty? your are kidding right?

zzotte

No, sadly it's true - all packs advertised as lightweight are far too heavy for day walking such as the camino - you need to search for ultralightweight to find anything sensible - something like 500g/one pound

A selection of Camino Jewellery
i would somehow advice against buying a backpack online without trying out how it sits LOADED on your body. packs weight is important, but even more importantly is how the suspension is designed. a rough estimate for this might be the stated maximal load weight, if such provided.

It's not as easy as "that's too much". I tried many backpacks before my trip and I certainly wanted to go as light as possible, but the most comfortable pack for me was the osprey kyte 36 at 3.2 lb. It fit so well that even fully loaded I wasn't aware I had it on after a minute or two, far more comfortable for me than any of the much lighter frameless packs I tried.

You have to try packs to see what fits you best.

ETA I should maybe have mentioned that when Norwegian weighed my carryon going over (ultrasil duffle containing full backpack and one of my pacer poles) it only clocked in at 6.2 kg despite the heavier pack.

Last edited:
I bought the Lowe Alpine 35/45 ltr, it was the best fit me, so comfortable. Yes the down side was that it came in at 1.5 kg but fully loaded it only came to 9 kg including water. It certainly did me for my 42 day journey on the CF last year.
It's not the weight of the pack, it's the way it fits your body shape with all your worldly goods.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My 48L REI I bought two years ago and have used on two CF's weighs in at over 3 pounds empty, but it's a good pack. Durable, and adjustable. I bought it sight unseen off the internet and once I got it adjusted all was good. Not to mention the price was right on the thing as I got it on sale. I can afford way more expensive packs, but why? I'd rather spend that money on other stuff. On any of my Caminos I don't think I spent over $300.00 total for my entire kit. Pack, shoes, clothing, etc.
It seems that the very lightweight, high-tech packs are twice the price. Less for more, if you will. A lot of prospective pilgrims reading these posts do the Camino on tight budgets. To them I say don't get caught up in the notion you got to spend a ton of money on expensive equipment to walk across Spain. The first time I did it, I carried a frame-less pack with no hip-belt I bought for $40.00. :cool:

The comfort of your backpack is second only to your footwear in importance. If it weighs 1.5 kg, that is still not bad. In spite of what a few comments suggest, I don't think most people have packs that are much lighter in weight.

It's not as easy as "that's too much". I tried many backpacks before my trip and I certainly wanted to go as light as possible, but the most comfortable pack for me was the osprey kyte 36 at 3.2 lb. It fit so well that even fully loaded I wasn't aware I had it on after a minute or two, far more comfortable for me than any of the much lighter frameless packs I tried.

You have to try packs to see what fits you best.

unfortunately the big box store only carry packs for the masses, two companies come to mind that makes ultralight packs super comfortable but pricey one is Zpack the other is Elemental Horizons they are both cottage manufactures I have the Aduro SL Elemental Horizons 40l at 21 oz the best pack I ever owned, the best part is that you can customize it my has a frame and the most amazing side pockets.

Zzotte

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
+1 for Zpacks and Elemental Horizons. Also look at ULA and Hyperlite. I loved my Osprey 28L, but shaved about a pound off with a Zpacks. Liked it so much I bought my wife one too. And she loved hers. I love REI, but they don't carry the cottage manufacturers, who have by far the best (lightest, most innovative) packs in the world. A bit more expensive, but worth it for me.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I tried on many packs and finally bought the Osprey Talon 33l. Fits perfect for me and only weighs 860g. No idea how much that is in pounds.

As one of the posters stated above not every backpack manufactured is in every outdoor store. I was looking for a panel loader after viewing Lindsey Cowie's equipment video. Actually, it had to fit, I preferred that it be a panel losder, and I wanted it to be between 30 and 40 liters.

A salesman recommended the MHM Salute 34, even though it was not in his store. The salesman had met a hiker on the Appalachian Trail who was using the Salute to do the whole trail. I ordered a Midnight Black Salute 34 through REI. However, I discovered the shoulder straps bit into my armpits when it was being fitted. The rest of the bag was fine. After looking around, and not finding a similar bag in the same size range that I was happy with, I decided to think outside the box. I had the original straps removed by a shoe repair shop and replaced with a set of large Gregory A3 response straps. And unless you were paying very close attention, you would not realize the straps did not come with the bag as the color matches. Now the bag fits, and while there are many Salutes, I have made this one mine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.