• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear for March 2018

Time of past OR future Camino
First time
Hi, I'm from Canada and I've been working away from home for some months in the ME. Ive decided to hike the Frances way as I have March off between contracts. My hiking hiking gear is in Canada, I have all my clothes...trekking pants, merino t-shirts, Gortex etc. but my sleeping bag, 30L back pack, trekking poles are at home.
Has anyone had there gear sent to Spain from Canada? To buy a new 3 season sleeping bag, back pack and poles will add up. All my gear is good quality and fits me. Would you buy new gear or have it sent?

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I don't know what your budget is, but if you are starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port, they have a couple of outdoor shops that carry everything you need, at what I saw as normal prices. As far as sleeping bags go, I don't know what the one you have at home weighs, but if it weighs more than about 680 grams it is too heavy. As you will be sleeping indoors in albergues, you do not need a 3-season bag. A summer weight bag is all you need.
You can get a pair of aluminium trekking poles for about 20 euros. They're good and easily up to the task of getting you to Santiago as the Camino Frances is not a technical hike in any way. Also by buying them when you arrive you avoid any problems of having trekking poles when you carry-on your backpack on the flight, which I highly recommend doing if possible.
They sell backpacks of all kinds, but again that's a personal choice.
I would say if you can get your gear to you from Canada to the middle east on the cheap and your sleeping bag is not too heavy, do that.
cheers

Last edited:
Good question ... however you don't need a three season (down?) sleeping bag, a cheap and cheerful summer one will do as you will be sleeping indoors. Poles can also be found cheap even if they are not the exact ones you have at home, that leaves the backpack. How much would postage be, all included, and would you get a decent 30L pack for the same price?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you travelling via Paris or Madrid or any other large European city? If you can locate a Decathlon store (big sports warehouse) you would be able to restock with basic gear for a very reasonable price. When I was in a decathlon store in Spain last year they were selling walking poles for 5€. You will see many Europeans on the camino walking with Quechua, the Decathlon brand, gear. They have an online store where you can check prices.
https://www.decathlon.es
A7B48A39-AA44-41AE-83BD-6B9AFAFB9896.jpeg
BTW Great forum name. The northern or southern lights are on my bucket list and I have a niece with the same name but her spelling is Sayde.
Buen camino

Last edited:
Only take a light fleece jacket. The weather in March is cool to cold in the morning and warmer during the day and you could expect rain. You warm up quickly when you start out in the morning and anything else than a light fleece will be to warm. Use your rain jacket to layer with the fleece jacket.
We had a lady with a down jacket in our group in March last year. She constantly had take the jacket off just to put it back on after a while. The down jacket was to warm for that time of the year. We were comfortable with a light fleece until mid morning.

Hi, I'm from Canada and I've been working away from home for some months in the ME. Ive decided to hike the Frances way as I have March off between contracts. My hiking hiking gear is in Canada, I have all my clothes...trekking pants, merino t-shirts, Gortex etc. but my sleeping bag, 30L back pack, trekking poles are at home.
Has anyone had there gear sent to Spain from Canada? To buy a new 3 season sleeping bag, back pack and poles will add up. All my gear is good quality and fits me. Would you buy new gear or have it sent?

Thanks!
I would have your gear shipped, if you purchase new you will be tempted to cheap out and will not be happy with the gear. Even if you buy good quality you will then have two of everything and be selling stuff at a loss.
Buon Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks a lot! This helped me make my decision. It hurts to buy again but I’ve found a fantastic Osprey pack. I have a -9C bag at home so, I’ll buy a light one and have a summer bag for the first time ever.

Can’t wait to be on the trail. Starting next week!!

Only take a light fleece jacket. The weather in March is cool to cold in the morning and warmer during the day and you could expect rain. You warm up quickly when you start out in the morning and anything else than a light fleece will be to warm. Use your rain jacket to layer with the fleece jacket.
We had a lady with a down jacket in our group in March last year. She constantly had take the jacket off just to put it back on after a while. The down jacket was to warm for that time of the year. We were comfortable with a light fleece until mid morning.
That’s good to know, I have a fleece and puffy jacket (light weight insulated). Like a fall weight synthetic down. I can layer them both under my rain jacket but seems a bit too much. Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back