• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear needed on CF in May/June

NOLA Cajun

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, Via Francigena, C. Ingles, Finisterre/Muxia
I'm planning my first Camino from around May 12, 2016. I'll be doing Camino Frances form St. Jean. I've read a lot of comments about the gear in this forum and it has all been very enlightening. I have a lot of experience hiking, backpacking, and camping and a lot of gear but the Camino will be unique. First, this will be the longest trip by far. Secondly, it's the first time I'm going ultralight. Normally I would carry a lot of stuff just in case, and it seems unavoidable in the wilderness. On Camino, as I realized from y'all posts, I'll never be away from civilization so if I need something I can just buy it. I need to change my mindset about that.

I'll be taking my Osprey Stratos 36 that I normally used as a day pack. One thing that I still cannot figure out is what gear is absolutely necessary considering the weather from May 10 to June 15, which is roughly my time there. Specifically:
1. What kind of shoes/boots do I need? Will it be really wet and muddy this time of year? I am completely torn on this one: I hate to walk with wet feet and they will get blistered then, but on the other hand I would hate heavy, waterproof boots in hot weather. Any advice?
2. Sleeping bag? I am inclined to take the lightest 1 season bag that I can find.
3. How cold can it get in the evening and/or at higher elevations? Will a fleece jacket and a waterproof windbreaker be enough? I have a very light, non-waterproof down jacket. Will it be useful or will be too much?

Any advice will be appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a Sea-to-Summit travel bag liner with the anti-bug treatment instead of a sleeping bag.

As for shoes/boots, that is a hotly debated topic. I'm a big fan of the new high tech light shoes and boots. LaSportiva's Synthesis are a cross between a trail runner and a hiking boot. They use a new fabric from GoreTex that is more breathable, they also use new technology that releases heat and perspiration all around the foot and even under your footbed. They come in low, mid and high top. I also love my Zamberlain Crossers (I own both the 230 boot and the 129 shoe). Like you I do not like wet feet. I also don't like hot feet. My feet stay cool in my LaSportiva Synthesis Mid and both of my Zamberlains, but the 129 Crosser is NOT a GoreTex shoe and even walking through wet grass will leave me with wet feet. I am about 90% sure I will be wearing the LaSportivia Synthesis Mids on the Camino next April/May. I wore my Zamberlain 230 Crosser when hiking across England 2 months ago, I think I could easily wear those on the Camino too, but I want a shoe not a boot. Zamberlain has a new hiking shoe that uses similar technology to the LaSportiva, I believe Mammut and a few others also have adopted similar designs.

Feet get wet no matter what. But I prefer less wet. GoreTex gives me that.

I also prefer LIGHTWEIGHT footwear and there have been quite few innovations in footwear over the past few years.

I'm going to be about a week and a half ahead of you. This will be my third and longest Camino. I've been researching the French way for a long time. Going over the Pyrenees in May is a crap shoot like the Sierras where I live. You can have extremely cold weather a higher elevations at any time.

For this Camino, I'm going to leave my long sleeved shirts at home. I have purchased some summer and winter bike rider sleeves. I'll wear quick dry short sleeve shirts. If is cool I'll add the light weight sleeves, if it's cold I'll add the heavy sleeves. To this I can add or subtract a lite weight down vest and a lite weight fleece and a water proof wind breaker. If it gets real cold I can put on my lite base layer and zip up poncho. I take 2 pair of zip off pants.

If it rains, and it will, your feet are going to get wet or wet and muddy. I wear good wool socks, nary a blister. As to what shoes to wear, it's a personnel preference. I like low cut. I don't like clunky and heavy high tops. You might consider rain gaiters. I'm not sure what part of the south you're from but Y'all have a Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be taking my Osprey Stratos 36 that I normally used as a day pack. One thing that I still cannot figure out is what gear is absolutely necessary considering the weather from May 10 to June 15, which is roughly my time there. Specifically:
1. What kind of shoes/boots do I need? Will it be really wet and muddy this time of year? I am completely torn on this one: I hate to walk with wet feet and they will get blistered then, but on the other hand I would hate heavy, waterproof boots in hot weather. Any advice?
2. Sleeping bag? I am inclined to take the lightest 1 season bag that I can find.
3. How cold can it get in the evening and/or at higher elevations? Will a fleece jacket and a waterproof windbreaker be enough? I have a very light, non-waterproof down jacket. Will it be useful or will be too much?

My thoughts:

36 liter pack: mine is a 30L and it's plenty big enough, especially for May/June
1. I have worn New Balance trail runners on 7 plus Caminos and I've never regretted it. My feet rarely have gotten wet and when they do, the shoes are dry by morning.
2. yes, the lightest sleeping bag. I started with a Marmot Pounder Plus 1.5 pounds. Now I take a down blanket, which weighs less, no matter when I walk
3. Not too cold if you're in an albergue with other pilgrims. More often, hot rather than cold.
4. A lightweight fleece and a windbreakers are plenty. Take a set of silk or wool or bamboo longjohns just in case. You won't need the down jacket at all, imo. I take layers, then peel them off as I warm up. May and June are more hot than cold, in general.

I'm going to be about a week and a half ahead of you. This will be my third and longest Camino. I've been researching the French way for a long time. Going over the Pyrenees in May is a crap shoot like the Sierras where I live. You can have extremely cold weather a higher elevations at any time.

For this Camino, I'm going to leave my long sleeved shirts at home. I have purchased some summer and winter bike rider sleeves. I'll wear quick dry short sleeve shirts. If is cool I'll add the light weight sleeves, if it's cold I'll add the heavy sleeves. To this I can add or subtract a lite weight down vest and a lite weight fleece and a water proof wind breaker. If it gets real cold I can put on my lite base layer and zip up poncho. I take 2 pair of zip off pants.

If it rains, and it will, your feet are going to get wet or wet and muddy. I wear good wool socks, nary a blister. As to what shoes to wear, it's a personnel preference. I like low cut. I don't like clunky and heavy high tops. You might consider rain gaiters. I'm not sure what part of the south you're from but Y'all have a Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Y'all :) - you caught it, that was my southern accent in the message. I'm from New Orleans, Louisiana, aka NOLA

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
. . . As to what shoes to wear, it's a personnel preference. I like low cut. I don't like clunky and heavy high tops . . .
What about light and flexible high tops?

Asolo Reston, Zamberlain 230 Crosser, Inov-8 Roclite, LaSportiva Synthesis Mid, etc etc these are all "boots" that are as light as some of the "trail runners" or "walking shoes" from other companies, they are far from clunky or heavy.

Technology in the footware industry is making major advancements, LIGHT & FLEXIBLE BOOTS are a reality. Newly released fabrics from Gore-Tex are far more breathable than the old fabrics, making waterproof-breathable footwear a possibility.

Last edited:
Where y'at....
I'm a fellow denizen of da Big Easy. Done the Camino twice. First time flew to Paris and trained down to SJPdP. Second time flew to Madrid and caught bus to Pamplona and on to SJPdP.
On my second Camino half of it was during the month of June. Honestly, neither all that hot or all that cold in Spain. What little chill there was in the morning quickly dissipated, and got warm and in the evening only really got chilly after dark. A fleece pullover and a lightweight Columbia rain jacket worked great for me. I also had a long sleeve tech tee shirt and a couple of short sleeved ones. You don't need gloves. Had a long pair of pants, but never hiked with them on. Only time I wore them was on the flights to and from and sometimes at night while on the Camino. Otherwise I wore lightweight hiking shorts everyday. I thought the weather was great. Not hot and humid like here in southern Louisiana and certainly not cold.
I wore non-waterproof Merrell hiking shoes for both Caminos. You don't need heavy, waterproof hiking boots. The Camino Frances is way more of a walk through rural Spain than it is a hike in the traditional sense. A lot of your walking is on blacktop and concrete. Trail running shoes are a good choice. I wore thin, synthetic running socks and had no blister issues. Those socks are thin and I brought 4-5 pair with me always changing them out if I needed to, and they dried quick on the laundry line. If your shoes do get wet and muddy, so what. Your never in them for too long and when you get to the albergue, wash them off and put them in the sun to dry. That's the advantage of the trail runners and hiking shoes. They dry quick. Heck, they'll dry on your feet. Bring some flip flops to shower with at the albergue.
If you do bring a sleeping bag, get the lightest, smallest warm weather one you can find. The albergues are heated and all those pilgrims inside adds to the warmth. Also many of them provide blankets. I never saw or had any bedbug problems on either Camino.
The key to an enjoyable Camino is travelling light, and also the less stuff you bring the easier it is to get your bag on the plane as a carry-on.

Don't forget, if your boots do get wet, you can always put newspapers in them overnight to speed up their drying out. That worked a charm with my Goretex boots, which got a bit wet during that slippery slide down to Zubiri in the spring.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't forget, if your boots do get wet, you can always put newspapers in them overnight to speed up their drying out. That worked a charm with my Goretex boots, which got a bit wet during that slippery slide down to Zubiri in the spring.
Thanks for the reminder. Forgot that tip. Used it on the Portuguese route.

Where y'at....
I'm a fellow denizen of da Big Easy. Done the Camino twice. First time flew to Paris and trained down to SJPdP. Second time flew to Madrid and caught bus to Pamplona and on to SJPdP.
On my second Camino half of it was during the month of June. Honestly, neither all that hot or all that cold in Spain. What little chill there was in the morning quickly dissipated, and got warm and in the evening only really got chilly after dark. A fleece pullover and a lightweight Columbia rain jacket worked great for me. I also had a long sleeve tech tee shirt and a couple of short sleeved ones. You don't need gloves. Had a long pair of pants, but never hiked with them on. Only time I wore them was on the flights to and from and sometimes at night while on the Camino. Otherwise I wore lightweight hiking shorts everyday. I thought the weather was great. Not hot and humid like here in southern Louisiana and certainly not cold.
I wore non-waterproof Merrell hiking shoes for both Caminos. You don't need heavy, waterproof hiking boots. The Camino Frances is way more of a walk through rural Spain than it is a hike in the traditional sense. A lot of your walking is on blacktop and concrete. Trail running shoes are a good choice. I wore thin, synthetic running socks and had no blister issues. Those socks are thin and I brought 4-5 pair with me always changing them out if I needed to, and they dried quick on the laundry line. If your shoes do get wet and muddy, so what. Your never in them for too long and when you get to the albergue, wash them off and put them in the sun to dry. That's the advantage of the trail runners and hiking shoes. They dry quick. Heck, they'll dry on your feet. Bring some flip flops to shower with at the albergue.
If you do bring a sleeping bag, get the lightest, smallest warm weather one you can find. The albergues are heated and all those pilgrims inside adds to the warmth. Also many of them provide blankets. I never saw or had any bedbug problems on either Camino.
The key to an enjoyable Camino is travelling light, and also the less stuff you bring the easier it is to get your bag on the plane as a carry-on.
I live near the "Biggest Little City in the World" aka Reno, NV.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it very much depends on weather....May this year was hottest on record for europe....and believe me it was hot.....chowe that time of year as I thought it would be cooler....and packed accordingly.
Ended up getting rid of all my hi tech light weight gear in favour of
3 very thin cotton vests tops
thin skirt
one pair of shorts
one long trousers
thin sweat shirt
kept water proofs ...just in case but not required.
hat and scarf both worn wet
two pairs of socks and undies
I wore leather walking boots...my preference....and needed at times imo over rougher ground....but at other times on flat would have loved walking sandals....didn't buy as would have had to carry boots.....just stopped every couple of hours...boots off to give feet a breather.
Spent quite a lot of money before the trip on unneccesary items....had the weather been cooler maybe would have used.
Pack light and I think by Pamplona and certainly by Burgos you will know if you have it right .... I sent stuff on that I wasn't using and bought very cheap very thin cotton replacements......it all worked well....save your money for your trip...Buen Camino

I'm planning my first Camino from around May 12, 2016. I'll be doing Camino Frances form St. Jean. I've read a lot of comments about the gear in this forum and it has all been very enlightening. I have a lot of experience hiking, backpacking, and camping and a lot of gear but the Camino will be unique. First, this will be the longest trip by far. Secondly, it's the first time I'm going ultralight. Normally I would carry a lot of stuff just in case, and it seems unavoidable in the wilderness. On Camino, as I realized from y'all posts, I'll never be away from civilization so if I need something I can just buy it. I need to change my mindset about that.

Any advice will be appreciated.

NOLA:

One of my favorite restaurants "The Commanders Palace".

Shoes or boots are a personal preference. The most important things is that they are comfortable for you. I wear a low cut Merrill hiking shoe with a vibram sole.

Weather in the mountains and in general can be unpredictable. Expect cool mornings and mild afternoons. The Meseta will be mild mornings and warm/hot afternoons.You can bet it will rain at sometime, especially in Galacia. I wear a rain jacket and pants. There are both lightweight but heavier than a windbreaker. Many folks like poncho's. I typically wear a sort sleeve shirt and fleece in the (mountain) mornings. Long sleeve light weight shirt on the Meseta. My rain jacket/pants are for cold, windy or wet days.

Would not walk without rain gear or a sleeping bag. I have a lightweight marmot down bag (1lb 8oz.) More than enough for the Camino and sleeping in Albergue's. Make sure you treat your pack and sleeping bag with permethian (sp?) before you leave. No down jacket is needed, imo.

Ultreya,
Joe

What to take is a personal choice. Rain gear and good foot wear. I prefer a poncho and use keen boots. A good analogy is if you were to walk from newarlins to lake Charles , what would you take with you . You will do fine, it is a great experience. I normally travel in April and May ,So the weather is not A concern for me. Keep it simple it ain't a forced march through the Congo . As for me , less is best. Not advice just suggestions. Buen Camino beaux ceaux. Probably misspelled.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Happy Trails

I am just making up my gear list for May/June 2017 and a light went on when you mentioned the running sleeves! I use them on occasion and hadn't thought about bringing them along next year. They have made my list, thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.