• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear Review: The little things

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
There are more than enough packing lists out there; I don't want to repeat what's already been covered dozens of times regarding packs, socks, shoes, etc. Rather, here are a few of the 'little things' that worked for me, or that I saw others using & that I wished I had.

I walked in France mid-August through September, and in Spain in October.

Recommended for all

- A ten-foot / 3-meter lightning cable to charge phones. Someone on this forum suggested this (I forget who), and it's a brilliant idea.

- Glove liners. It can get cold in the mornings, even in August.

- Dual-port charger. It's nice to share.

- Running tights. Guys, there's a reason all the women are wearing these. They're comfortable, light-weight, and versatile. They work as a thermal layer underneath your pants on a cold morning. They're comfortable to sleep in on a cold night. Tights for men are not just for hipsters and body builders any more!

Worked for me

- Moisturizer. I brought some argan oil, ditched it as excess weight, then bought another bottle of oil a few days later. I didn't need much, but it was nice to moisturize once or twice a week.

- Real books. If you're reading on a kindle, a phone, or another electronic device, people leave you alone. It's socially isolating. If you're reading a paperback novel at a cafe - mostly in France, and especially if you're reading a book by a French author - people will treat it as an open invitation to start a conversation.

- Jungle blanket. I liked having an open blanket rather than a sleeping bag. I never used it in France, while I used it almost every night in Spain.

- Sweat pants. It was nice to have a light-weight pair in the evenings.

- Rain jacket + umbrella. I loved this combo, and will never go back to wearing a poncho again.

The wishlist

- Tupperware. I didn't have room for this, but if I was walking in a warmer season (and needed less clothes), a lunch container would have been nice. As it was, I had a few days where my cheese turned to fondue in my sack. Most French people and a lot of the Germans carried some.

- A thermos. There were many long days without a coffee stop in France. I suffered through a few of them, and then started carrying an emergency supply of coca-cola.

- Face cream / night cream. I was always amazed at how many beauty products some of the Korean women carried. And at times a bit envious.

- Laundry sheets. These seemed more convenient than the shampoo bar I carried.

- Good headphones. I wasn't even tempted to use my headphones for the first couple weeks. Towards the end, when I was walking longer days, it was nice to listen to music in the afternoons.

Didn't work for me

- Leukotape. This was fine for using on hot spots on the heel, but a total pain for small blisters on the toes. It was hard to cut to the proper size, and the glue (or whatever it is) would ooze out and make my toes stick together. I hated it. I would have rather used basic medical tape.

- Flashlight. Never used it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the listing.

- Leukotape, worked great for me for the plant and heel [I had thin tape for my toes].

- Flashlight, worked for me, I was on the trail very early in the morning, flashlight or not I missed the sign at the N-120 intersection leaving Carrion de los Condes and the 17 kilometers to Calzadilla de la Cueza became something line 21 plus kilometers [thank you Policia Civil for saving the dark morning and sending me in the right direction].

Feliz Navidad para usted y su familia, y que la brillantisima luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hi to All,

My two favorites items was my trekking poles and my Buff. The poles gave me confidence and the multi-purpose Buff is fantastic in cold mornings and hot afternoon. For next Camino (when ?) i will never go without them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Recommended for all

- A ten-foot / 3-meter lightning cable to charge phones. Someone on this forum suggested this (I forget who), and it's a brilliant idea.

I'm obviously missing something here :oops:
Why do you need such a long cable?
And 'lightening' cable, as in iPhone/iPad type connection?

Love this post, thanks Michael.

I totally agree with the long cable. I walked my 2nd Camino section in October 17, and took a long cable. It means that you can charge your iPhone whilst in a top bunk.

I had a Polaroid Zip printer (lightweight and smaller than an iPhone). I printed photos of people I met in the way into a little book. It became a talking point and I wouldn’t go without it now.

I’ve added a trekking Umbrella to my Christmas list as I had gear envy on those very wet days, and also the scorching hot days.

Thanks again, great post.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
+1 - A ten-foot / 3-meter lightning cable to charge phones. Someone on this forum suggested this (I forget who), and it's a brilliant idea.
I was able to charge and still have my phone with me in bed almost everywhere I stayed.

+1 - Glove liners
. It can get cold in the mornings, even in August.
I wore my gloves much more than I thought I would have. Sometimes the gloves and a hat allowed me to forgoe wearing my jacket.

+ 1 - Dual-port charger
. It's nice to share.
Sometimes there were not enough available outlets. I would just unplug someone's single and plug them into my dual. I would leave their single there, so that I could plug them back in when I was done.

Maybe a +1 - Running tights
. Guys, there's a reason all the women are wearing these. They're comfortable, light-weight, and versatile. They work as a thermal layer underneath your pants on a cold morning. They're comfortable to sleep in on a cold night. Tights for men are not just for hipsters and body builders any more!
I am thinking this might be a good alternative to 2 pair of zipoff pants. I would bring 1 pair zip off pants, 1 pair of tights, and 1 pair of lightweight running shorts. I think it would save some weight and create some alternatives.

+1 - Jungle blanket. I liked having an open blanket rather than a sleeping bag. I never used it in France, while I used it almost every night in Spain.
I brought a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment ... worked great.

+1 - Good headphones. I wasn't even tempted to use my headphones for the first couple weeks. Towards the end, when I was walking longer days, it was nice to listen to music in the afternoons.
I brought my earbuds rather than my wireless. No charging necessary. Used them at the end of the day or if I was just moving slow and needed a pick me up.

+1 - Leukotape. This was fine for using on hot spots on the heel, but a total pain for small blisters on the toes. It was hard to cut to the proper size, and the glue (or whatever it is) would ooze out and make my toes stick together. I hated it. I would have rather used basic medical tape.
I brought some Leukotape from home. It was more of a fabric tape than the kind I saw in Spain. It worked out great for me.

+1 - Flashlight. Never used it.[/QUOTE]
I changed the lock screen on my iPhone to have a red background and emergency contact info as @trecile suggested. It worked great in the albergue for a bathroom run in the middle of the night etc.

*gloves; I always bring woollen fingerless gloves that just cover the nuckles in the morning for my beginning reumathism, and bicycle likewise for long stretches using walking poles. In the wintertime finger gloves

* instead of zip off legs, I don knee long shorts in easy drying quality, but in colder mornings ( -2 to +10) I apply long individual leggings underneath, and drop them around 10 o´clock or when the sun comes out. I look downright silly in the airplane on the way down in April from Scandinavia- but who cares !

*a battery bank, that I will charge a) in a wall socket or b) by solar panel - and then charge my phone whenever..

* a thermal blanket - just in case- f inst Life systems - 55 grams , reusable

* X metres of parachord

* Japanese mint oil drops ( Physio JHP) for stomach upsets, Mentholatum (sort of Tiger Balm) for skin rashes and sore muscles, small bottle of Echinamine for cold and flues. I usually walk in chillier seasons!

* one Petzl head lamp , simple version, 2 light strenghts for night/ dusk walking - 1 thumb size pen light for finding my bed and 2 small coin size powerful blinking diodes for walking beside road traffic.
Yellow running zipped vest, doubling as light wind breaker.
small strips of relective in several items of rucksack poles and vest...

* - always bring collapsible Leki walking poles, my very good friends in ups and downs, literally..
- thought I would never use then, -havent done without them !

* "woollens" ; socks, Y-fronts, Woolpower woollen fleece long sleve, HH merino/ polypropylene LS sports shirts , & merino neck gaiter

* woolen knit cap now exhanged with woollen Stetson.......

afterthought;
* - and of late; Kinesiotape. Brilliant invention to sprained anything, will stick to skin 3-5 days, then peels off, - reinforcements can be done with leukotape which is normally welded to the skin. Better than mere elastic bandages...alleviates swellings better...

* Mentholatum creme for skin abrasion, cold cracks on skin, and under the nose to unblock snotty nose

Last edited:
Interesting list. I like your novel reasons for preferring a paperback to an e-book. Bringing a small flashlight, however, seems to me a sensible precaution; I was glad that I never needed my modified first-aid kit, but not sorry that I’d brought it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are more than enough packing lists out there; I don't want to repeat what's already been covered dozens of times regarding packs, socks, shoes, etc. Rather, here are a few of the 'little things' that worked for me, or that I saw others using & that I wished I had.

Recommended for all

- Running tights. Guys, there's a reason all the women are wearing these. They're comfortable, light-weight, and versatile. They work as a thermal layer underneath your pants on a cold morning. They're comfortable to sleep in on a cold night. Tights for men are not just for hipsters and body builders any more!

Worked for me

- Moisturizer. I brought some argan oil, ditched it as excess weight, then bought another bottle of oil a few days later. I didn't need much, but it was nice to moisturize once or twice a week.

- Real books. If you're reading on a kindle, a phone, or another electronic device, people leave you alone. It's socially isolating. If you're reading a paperback novel at a cafe - mostly in France, and especially if you're reading a book by a French author - people will treat it as an open invitation to start a conversation.

- Jungle blanket. I liked having an open blanket rather than a sleeping bag. I never used it in France, while I used it almost every night in Spain.

- Rain jacket + umbrella. I loved this combo, and will never go back to wearing a poncho again.

The wishlist

- Tupperware. I didn't have room for this, but if I was walking in a warmer season (and needed less clothes), a lunch container would have been nice. As it was, I had a few days where my cheese turned to fondue in my sack. Most French people and a lot of the Germans carried some.

- A thermos. There were many long days without a coffee stop in France. I suffered through a few of them, and then started carrying an emergency supply of coca-cola.

- Face cream / night cream. I was always amazed at how many beauty products some of the Korean women carried. And at times a bit envious.

- Good headphones. I wasn't even tempted to use my headphones for the first couple weeks. Towards the end, when I was walking longer days, it was nice to listen to music in the afternoons.

Didn't work for me

- Leukotape. This was fine for using on hot spots on the heel, but a total pain for small blisters on the toes. It was hard to cut to the proper size, and the glue (or whatever it is) would ooze out and make my toes stick together. I hated it. I would have rather used basic medical tape.

Recommended for all

Worked for me

The wishlist

Didn't work for me

Recommended for all

Worked for me

The wishlist

Didn't work for me

Recommended for all

Worked for me

The wishlist

Didn't work for me

Recommended for all

Worked for me

The wishlist

Didn't work for me

Hi, great ideas--if you want one more idea, the absolute best thing I brought with me was a u-shaped hook from Home Depot that cost about $2. I used it in the showers where there were no hooks to hang up my bag of valuables. Speaking of which, I loved my small waterproof bag (which unfortunately was quite a bit more than $2, but worth it) in which to keep my phone and money while in the shower. I just hooked my waterproof bag on the shower door and all my stuff was dry and safe!

Yes, great ideas and here's one more.
Take a cheap, super lightweight, cloth grocery bag. You know the type...paper thin.
Can be used for shopping and keeping food all together in backpack.
Add a couple of Ziploc bags for the stinky cheese. :p

I'm obviously missing something here :oops:
Why do you need such a long cable?
And 'lightening' cable, as in iPhone/iPad type connection?
The long cable is great when you are in an upper bunk or the nearest outlet is far away. Of course bring a cable that's suitable for your phone. A lightning cable would be useless for my Android phone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agreed, @kaixo, i used a this ultralight backpack as my purse/shopping bag while walking around town and cities. Very handy indeed. Check amazon for less expensive options (15$ and up)
https://www.rei.com/product/867165/...lGQntzdRXNckLybbadU2x62aHCUfkslRoCwe4QAvD_BwE
If you can wait until you are in Spain, or if you have Decathlon stores where you live, you can pick up this ultra light 10 liter, 48 gram/1.7 ounce backpack really cheap.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-10l-ultra-compact-id_8348925.html

Quecha backpack.jpg

Forgot REI,:eek:! Decathlon, here I come after I return all of my overpriced gear. I wish I would have known it was a bargain compared to our stores in the US.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Saint Jean I got a S shaped hook that worked the same as the U shaped thing above and it also worked great. They had two sizes for sale and I got the larger one so that it would hook on more things. It had a point on one end and was blunt on the other end.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had one piece of Tupperware with me but never any room in it for food as my Mum's ashes were in it.

When preparing for this pilgrimage, I was intending to use a metal box but was advised due to TSA potential issues, it should be see through. Mum travelled well and made it to the Sea at Fisterre. I still keep the bag her ashes were in inside that same box on my Mantel.

Robo doesn't do upper bunks (albergues) :eek:

But we're working on that :rolleyes: because . . . .

:D:D:D:D

I walked right into that one! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Who would have thought. No power outlet next to the bed! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You never know, we might experience an Albergue next time :eek::eek::eek:
If Pat is not able to walk far enough to the next Casa Rural ;););)

Last edited:
I had brought a small suction cup with a J hook on it for use in the shower, but never used it. Instead I used a loop of tach cord (tied with a fisherman's knot to form the loop), and a small carabiner. I used a larks head knot around anything and hung things from the carbiner. Closed dry bags have a loop for use in the shower. I used a similar setup to hang my backpack from the bunk bed rail. I typically left the dry bag for my sleep kit rolled and clipped around the bed rail for easy access in the morning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Recommended for all

Worked for me

The wishlist

Didn't work for me

I use Leukotape for not for blisters but taping my feet for my plantar fasciitis as taught to me by my physical therapist. It really works well.

I had one piece of Tupperware with me but never any room in it for food as my Mum's ashes were in it.

When preparing for this pilgrimage, I was intending to use a metal box but was advised due to TSA potential issues, it should be see through. Mum travelled well and made it to the Sea at Fisterre. I still keep the bag her ashes were in inside that same box on my Mantel.
Blessings Michelle! My mom just passed away 11/9 I will be walking the Camino in her memory and in memory of my friend Nancy who died of Cancer the year before... I have no ashes but have both of them in my heart to encourage me along the way. I will carry a little Tupperware to hold some chocolate both mom and Nancy would approve! Life was grand and the memories we have continue...

I just brought a very bright little squeeze flashlight that was essential to me. Sometimes the light went off suddenly in the albergie when I wasn't ready. I used it to read at night, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A small USB fan. None of the albergues we stayed in ever had decent climate control. You can find em on Amazon that will run off your wall charger or a battery pack.

Mine runs for 8 hours and never puts much of a dent in the battery charge.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.