• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear/training

thruhiker

Just filled up my Granite Gear Ozone pack and hiked about 10kl today with about 15lbs of gear including some water. Beside this walk I have also hiked once about 20kl to get the the feel of a longer distance hike with a pack. I have lot of mountains around me but the icy conditions make it dangerous to go there. Just wondering what other walkers are doing for training to get ready for the Comino. It is a big difference walking with and without weight. Also I wouldn't even think about going over the mountain with its 1200 meter elevation gain if the forecast is for rain. Some of my worst days hiking have been hiking in 50 degree temps in the rain. For regular training I am walking about 9kl 3-4 times a week without weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi

Oh the joys of training for the Camino. We started training last autumn and did really well, getting up to 26 kilometers + with no problems. we stopped for Christmas and New Year and then the weather was bas so we re started in February. Blisters and backpack problems! We found a site on the web for different ways to tie your boot laces that made a huge and immediate difference. Likewise with rucksacks. Still a small problem with blisters but getting better. We are walking 8 to 16 kilometers about 5 times a week with rucksacks and its getting easier all the time. The rucksacks do not cause any problems. Try it with your rucksack and see how you get on and then try to build it up. We are going in 5 weeks time and are getting more confident all the time.

Best of luck with your training and as ever - Buen Camino

Ron

I think you should be thinking of adding some longer distances and some elevation gain into your program. I participated in a local two day walk before leaving for the Camino, and used the longer distance training programme as the basis for my preparation. It can be found at http://www.aussiewalk.com.au/training.htm. There is now also a training program for the marathon distance on that site. Some of the longer days are close to the marathon distance if the elevation gain is factored in. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith's_Rule)

For elevation gain, I found a walk about 30 mins drive away that gave an elevation gain of 700m in 7km, and did that about once a month in the six months before I left. This is steeper than Route Napoleon, but not quite the same elevation gain overall. I did that with a day pack weighing about 10kg all up most of the time.

Regards,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the great training tips. I have climbed a couple of mountains with moderate elevation game with only a day pack which is a little less than my Comino backpack this winter.

In reference to blisters I always carry duck tape and put a piece over any hot spot when you feel a problem coming on. That and some new stuff I have never carried called Advanced Healing Blister which looks live a oval band aid. I always seem to get blisters on every long hike I have been on.

The last few years I have been mostly hiking with trail running shoes unstead on convential boots. I have gone back and forth on this one a number of times. With a light weight shoe it seems you can walk 20% faster and do longer millage. But I will follow the recommendation and bring my boots and maybe send them home and purchase the trail shoes if conditions permit.

No mountains in the Netherlands for training :). So I do stairswalking in a flat to train my legs. Very hard, but good. Next I walk the dog 3 times a day and we do 2 a week intensive walking, once with a packsack. Tip: fill the packsack with the stuff that you intend to bring along. So you can decide what you really need to bring along. Works for me!
E.g. no heavy shampoo bottle but I found a special soap to wash your hair with made with olive oil. Every little thing counts!
Buen Camino

I get home in about 5 weeks. Then I'll start training for my camino. I'm lucky to live in the mountains so not only will I be training at altitude but I'll have access to hills to practice on. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, Trumpy,
You're gonna make us beg for that site that'll teach us how to tie our shoes. Tio is old but not too old to learn something new.
Por favor y gracias

Hi Tio

So sorry I did not give any info on the site to help you tie shoe laces. Just go to youtube and type 'How to lace a hiking boot for better fit' and all will be revealed. My wife and I have been using this method for a week now and it is like having new boots AND new feet! I am using a combination of straight up the sides to the 4th eyelet and then a lock-lace to relieve pressure on the front of the foot, then 2nd part of the video up through the speed lace sockets to pull the foot back to the heel of the boot. It is easy to experiment with the tensions on each part of the lacing as the lock lace almost isolates each section. Give it a try, I think its well worth it. Sorry there's no 'Hotlinks' I'm not too good on HTML.

Ron

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm an experience hiker and climber and I think you have the right idea. You want to walk 5-6 times a week, but not distances that are so exhausting that you have to take three days off. And mix in some long sessions once or twice a week.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.