• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gehwol footcream

rene beets

Time of past OR future Camino
september oktober 2015
Good morning,

I start walking March 28th. I use Gehwol foot cream . I can take a few with me but every gram counts so I want to be sure if I can buy these cream as well on the route Frances?

Rene Beers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bring some with you. I doubt if you'll be able to find it anywhere on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gehwol is the best. A dear Dutch friend gave me some on my first camino and I've used it ever since. I always keep an eye out for it but haven't found it in Canada and didn't see it in Spain. I stocked up last time I was in Amsterdam.

Last edited:
Gehwol is the best. A Dutch friend gave me some on my first camino and I've used it ever since. I always keep an eye out for it but haven't found it in Canada and didn't see it in Spain. I stocked up last time I was in Amsterdam.

You can buy it from Amazon (which is where I got it).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gehwol is the best. A Dutch friend gave me some on my first camino and I've used it ever since. I always keep an eye out for it but haven't found it in Canada and didn't see it in Spain. I stocked up last time I was in Amsterdam.

I swear by these products. I leave again for Spain next monday and prior to this Camino I'm already using the Gehwol for three weeks to build up the stamina and care :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What does it do?

I used two types. Gerlachs Gehwol Footcream during the day. I applied it generously before walking and mid-walk if I felt a hotspot coming on. It is a thicker cream. Some use vaseline; I prefer this. At night I would use either the refreshing balm cream or the Fusskraft, Blue before bed. It just felt good!

http://site.gehwolfootcare.com/index.php/foot-cream

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used two types. Gerlachs Gehwol Footcream during the day. I applied it generously before walking and mid-walk if I felt a hotspot coming on. It is a thicker cream. Some use vaseline; I prefer this. At night I would use either the refreshing balm cream or the Fusskraft, Blue before bed. It just felt good!

http://site.gehwolfootcare.com/index.php/foot-cream
Thanks for that. It leaves me incredibly confused.

It seems there are two ( perhaps more) distinct schools of thought on footcare. Those who want to soften them, and those who want to toughen them up. I am in the 'leave them alone except for rigorous toenail cutting' and ensure that you have the best quality and most comfortable socks and footwear, that suit you best. This is particularly important for me as an Australian living in a beachside suburb in a wonderful climate so I am barefoot MOST of the time. I also can't imagine having any form of cream or 'goo' in my shoes and socks, let alone collecting dirt if I am barefoot or in sandals. Horses for courses I guess! Kanga was telling me about some silicon spray that she uses for lack of friction and I would prefer something lighter than a Vaseline or cream base if I get a friction point. I am also experimenting the thin sock (or stocking) thick sock scenario and alternating walking in Merrell shoes and my wonderful Teva water sandals. BTW there was a very interesting talk at the recent Camino festival about the benefits of bare feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you in the US, Walmart carries Gehwol with free shipping. Not the blue, but the regular cream and some other items. I've chosen to bring essential oils and a collapsible wash basin for a foot soak instead of another cream. Tough callouses or no, I'm not going to make it a month without a makeshift pedi! Doubles as a face steam for those gritty pore days too. :)

~Princess Amy, hiking diva~

. I also can't imagine having any form of cream or 'goo' in my shoes and socks, let alone collecting dirt if I am barefoot or in sandals.
You might want to try something like Gloves in a Bottle. It's not the least bit greasy, and you can't even tell it's there after you apply it. It looks like it's available in Australia. I haven't tried it on the Camino yet, but I posted a thread asking about it after seeing it mentioned on the forum several times. Another similiar product is Silic 15, which I think is also available in Australia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... I've chosen to bring essential oils and a collapsible wash basin for a foot soak instead of another cream. Tough callouses or no, I'm not going to make it a month without a makeshift pedi! ... ~Princess Amy, hiking diva~

A collapsible wash basin! Ah now, Amy, after a couple of weeks on the trail you will have discarded such fripperies and will regard pedicures with the contempt of the newly ascetic. You will be eating locusts and wild honey and muttering "vanity of vanities, all is vanity!" as you walk by beauty parlors in the towns you pass through. Your hair will be an unkempt frizz and your former dainty and well-manicured feet will be indistinguishable from those of a ploughman who spends his days treading stony ground after his horses. Such is the lot of the peregrina as she strides purposefully towards Santiago. By the time you get to LĂ©on you will cackle and say: "a collapsible wash basin - what *was* I thinking?" :)

Thanks for that. It leaves me incredibly confused.

It seems there are two ( perhaps more) distinct schools of thought on footcare. Those who want to soften them, and those who want to toughen them up. I am in the 'leave them alone except for rigorous toenail cutting' and ensure that you have the best quality and most comfortable socks and footwear, that suit you best. This is particularly important for me as an Australian living in a beachside suburb in a wonderful climate so I am barefoot MOST of the time. I also can't imagine having any form of cream or 'goo' in my shoes and socks, let alone collecting dirt if I am barefoot or in sandals. Horses for courses I guess! Kanga was telling me about some silicon spray that she uses for lack of friction and I would prefer something lighter than a Vaseline or cream base if I get a friction point. I am also experimenting the thin sock (or stocking) thick sock scenario and alternating walking in Merrell shoes and my wonderful Teva water sandals. BTW there was a very interesting talk at the recent Camino festival about the benefits of bare feet.
Me too harden my feet by not applying anything.
I do not even wear special socks but ordinary everyday socks
But I must say I walk every day for 2 hours !

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back