• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gel inserts

D

Deleted member 397

A recent post reminded me to advise anyone walking a camino to replace the insoles that come with walking boots/shoes. I'm still surprised by the cardboard like inserts that come with even expensive footwear. I can only assume they expect these to be chucked and replaced with gel inserts. ..something i do every year with a new pair of boots and inserts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A recent post reminded me to advise anyone walking a camino to replace the insoles that come with walking boots/shoes. I'm still surprised by the cardboard like inserts that come with even expensive footwear. I can only assume they expect these to be chucked and replaced with gel inserts. ..something i do every year with a new pair of boots and inserts.
Looking for some now to replace my Altra Lone Peak inserts. Any suggestions?

😎👣

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just finished walking the Fisherman's route and the Portuguese route for a month. I wore $55 Saucony's this time. No special inserts, no blisters, no foot problems. Sometimes I think it's about the shape of our individual feet, not always the shoe we choose.

Last edited:
If you opt for gel-inserts you should try them in advance. Gel-inserts may be soft but they are definitely not breathable, which caused big blisters on my CF 2007. At a small supermercado in El Burgo Ranero I bought cheap insoles made of "espuma" instead, which were a great relief and lasted till Finisterre (but then they were completely worn).

Meindl shoes also use these cheap-looking cardboard-like insoles. But in my experience they are very good support, not much difference to the orthopedic insoles I usually wear.

When changing the insoles also consider that this may alter the size of the shoes.

BC
Alexandra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hola @omar504 I can 100% vouch for this comment. The shoes I bought in 2012 came with tissue paper thin inner soles. Some time later - I was nearly crippled after walking less than 100 km - mentioned this fact to the "shoe fitter" in the store where I bought them. Of course he/she said I should have mentioned this issue -EH? I tried to explain that I was absolutely new to long distance walking and expected the professionals to at least make a suggestion.
So now I have a range of inserts that I purchased from a "discount store" - the ones from the professional outfitters in no way were suitable.
So again I can not recommend strongly enough - at least "ask the question"; take the manufacturer inner soles out and inspect them. If they are of a paper like material dump them (my opinion). Cheers and Buen Camino!!

Meindl shoes also use these cheap-looking cardboard-like insoles. But in my experience they are very good support, not much difference to the orthopedic insoles I usually wear.

Alexandra

@Via2010 - with total respect, you are entitled to your opinion and base it on personal experience.
For me inner soles of 1-3mm thickness provide zero support. I do agree about possible increases in size. To overcome this I bought in my own after market inner soles; removed the manufacturer supplied ones and then tried to the boots - happily the size 46/US12/UK11 fitted OK. Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My practice here varies. While most of my walking footwear has an aftermarket insole, not all of it does because the manufacturer's insole was okay. The Sportiva boots I have been using recently have a 5mm thick insole, much the same thickness as most aftermarket insoles that I use. What I do use with those is an aftermarket heel and instep pad the provides a more rigid heel cup and augments the padding supporting the instep. This has worked with other shoes, where the manufacturer has provided reasonable thickness insoles that offer reasonable padding.

If you are going to use a thicker aftermarket insole or any other orthotic insert, it is always a good idea to have them with you when you are getting your footwear fitted. You should also have the socks that you will be using as well. Together, this will ensure that the forefoot volume is sufficient, and your feet won't be cramped by the addition of any extra volume taken up by thicker insoles, etc.

@ Saint-Mike:

Ok, you talk of cardboard of 1-3 mm thickness, so maybe there is a difference.

The Meindl-insoles are rather thin, but have foot-shape and are made of an absorbent material. They are called "Air-Active" and cost about 8,00 € with Amazon if you have to replace the old ones. I have comfortly walked on them on Camino Portugese and Camino Primitivo.

I read a book written by a podologist, who says that the more cushioning your shoes provide the more sensible become your feet as the natural cushioning which the body of people walking barefoot frequently develop, ceases. So probably the best preparation for your camino is to walk barefoot at home whenever possible.

If you opt for gel-inserts you should try them in advance. Gel-inserts may be soft but they are definitely not breathable, which caused big blisters on my CF 2007. At a small supermercado in El Burgo Ranero I bought cheap insoles made of "espuma" instead, which were a great relief and lasted till Finisterre (but then they were completely worn).

When changing the insoles also consider that this may alter the size of the shoes.

BC
Alexandra
I agree about the size suggestion. I take inserts along when shoe shopping. I use gel under original inserts for additional padding. This usually results in needing to upsize or maybe getting a wider shoe for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No special inserts, no blisters, no foot problems. Sometimes I think it's about the shape of our individual feet, not always the shoe we choose.
other things to be thought : weather (rain, heat), right fitting socks, maybe the material of shoes and socks, weight of yourself and the backback, how you pamper your feet ... There are so many reasons for (no) blisters.

Gel Insoles can make a mess, though I like the long-term cusioning even with some overweight. I had some which had some sort of blisters (air bubbles) by their own, others leaked some kind of glue.
I never had cardboard/paper insoles. It was always plastic, artificial fibers or felt. The cover can be leather as well. It's not easy to find something bigger than size 46 in Spain, but smaller insoles are sold in every supermarket (cheap).
Orthopedic insoles are expensive (100€ +) if not partly payed by your health insurance, but somehow effective (for the moment). Even some doctors tell you, that walking barefoot as much as possible would be better.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.