• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Genealogy Research

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Feb 2018)
I don't know if anyone can help me with this question, but who knows.

I am planning for my first Camino in September of this year. Through the modern miracle of Ancestry.com, internet research and DNA testing I am pretty confident that one of my ancestors immigrated from Oviedo, Spain to Mexico City, then to New Mexico USA in the late 1600's.

I am therefore considering spending a few days in Oviedo after my Camino and hoping to do some research of the public records in the hopes of finding more family information. So my question: Is there a governmental office I could contact that has records that far back? If so, what agency would that be?

Any advice of help would be greatly appreciated!

Gracias!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know if anyone can help me with this question, but who knows.

I am planning for my first Camino in September of this year. Through the modern miracle of Ancestry.com, internet research and DNA testing I am pretty confident that one of my ancestors immigrated from Oviedo, Spain to Mexico City, then to New Mexico USA in the late 1600's.

I am therefore considering spending a few days in Oviedo after my Camino and hoping to do some research of the public records in the hopes of finding more family information. So my question: Is there a governmental office I could contact that has records that far back? If so, what agency would that be?

Any advice of help would be greatly appreciated!

Gracias!
I love genealogy. If by chance they were Catholic, you may want to check the church records. Once you find their home church there are usually baptism, confirmation and marriage records in the books

Hi
Try this link as an aid in finding resources in Spain:

http://www.cyndislist.com/spain/

Have fun, and good luck! My hobby is family history research and I am a member of The Guild of One-Name Studies (London, UK).
Jill

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi again
From Cyndi’s List I found the following:

Oviedo Spain Family History Center
Calle Tito Bustillo, 8-10
OVIEDO ASTURIAS 33012
Directions
Website
+34 34-98-5275667
Hours W, F 17:00-19:00

On the website link it gives an email address:
Teléfono: +34 34-98-5275667
E-mail: ES_Oviedo@ldsmail.net
Horario de atención: miércoles, viernes 17:00-19:00

Jill

The most trustful resource on genealogy is Family search https://familysearch.org/ No wilful family reconstructions, just raw data from public and parochial archives (a copy of the original document is many times provided) even from centuries ago. It requires some patience and tweaking (if you family name is Valdez, it could appear as "Valdes" or even "Baldez").
For Spanish genealogy, another resource is Geneanet; it is favored by historians and generally mention the sources http://en.geneanet.org/
Good search!

This is fascinating. I will look into this as well. As my family left Spain in 1936 it should be much easier to track my lot than for the OP to track his.

In Quebec there is a fascinating site which allowed me to track my father's ancenstor to the first one that touched land on this continent back in the 1600s. It also provided a few funny annecdotes like the one who says one of the ancestors was killed by his mistress' husband, which apparently was not a big loss as he was a bit of a thief as well! :eek: Be careful what you go looking for.o_O

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is fascinating. I will look into this as well. As my family left Spain in 1936 it should be much easier to track my lot than for the OP to track his.

In Quebec there is a fascinating site which allowed me to track my father's ancenstor to the first one that touched land on this continent back in the 1600s. It also provided a few funny annecdotes like the one who says one of the ancestors was killed by his mistress' husband, which apparently was not a big loss as he was a bit of a thief as well! :eek: Be careful what you go looking for.o_O

Thank you. No kidding about finding unexpected things. I just saw that one of my ancestors was murdered by her husband ....... and she was only 19 years old!

Attachments

• Maria Valdez.JPG
    Maria Valdez.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 14
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... If by chance they were Catholic, you may want to check the church records. ...

By chance? In 16th century Spain? What else they would have been? Buen Camino and happy researching, SY

y
Thank you. No kidding about finding unexpected things. I just saw that one of my ancestors was murdered by her husband ....... and she was only 19 years old!
I guess some things don't change much, sadly. Isn't it wonderful to be able to access such information. The magic of paper that lasts longer than electronic documents, and the wonders of computers as searching tools.

There may also be an Archives department office with additional information. The French ones have websites with a lot of resource material, so the Spanish ones may have as well.

And, check with the local library. Sometimes there are books/resources of local historical information that seem to only exist in local libraries.

Don't forget local military and poll tax records...

Check their office hours to make sure they aren't closed for renovations when you plan to be there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure what that group is but coming to England and Scotland to go deep with family roots. Is this something that would help?

Hi Steve, Cyndi’s List is a genealogical finding aid worldwide. She has links to genealogical resources that you may never have ever thought of. Go to the home page and navigate through to the country you are interested in. I have experience in family history research in England and Wales (not Scotland), and am happy to try and help with a particular query if you send me a private message. Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back