• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

General Books About Spain

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
In preparation for our wee Camino wander, we have turned to books....(obviously most of them are not specific to the Camino, but we were wanting to give the kids an introduction to the culture as whole too)

Picture books:
* The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf (all time favourite!!!)
* Anno's Spain (oh, it's so wonderfully rich in detail)
* Dali and the Path of Dreams by Anna Obiols (a memorable story about Savlvador Dali with a good little biography at the back)
* Picasso's Trousers by Nicholas Allan (as memorable as the Dali story)
* Prince of the Birds by Amanda hall (great to see yet another culture with a fairy tale carrying the eternal theme of love - sympathetically illustrated too)
* Don Quixote...OK, so not originally a picture book, but Marcia Williams has made this epic tale most accessible in cartoon form

Children's Novels:
* Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowska (fantastic themes run through this story - great book to read aloud and discuss)
* The Andalusian Guitar by Saint-Marcoux (translated into English, this reads part suspenseful-story, part travel-guide, part Spanish culture introduction.....we learnt a lot)
* I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino (there's nothing not to like about this story)

Adults' Books:
* Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes (and I'm proud to say I have read the entire thing)
* Iberia by James Michener
* South from Granada by Gerald Brenan
* Travels with my Donkey by Tim Moore (one of a number of Camino stories, all of which tend to read the same after a while - we started walking, got blisters, slept in a dorm with ninety snorers etc etc....this one at least has the attraction of humour, but after a while it felt like the story was more a coathanger for his jokes than a worthy entity in itself and I tired of the book before finishing it - understanding I was looking for a Camino book, not a joke book)
* Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving (I haven't read this, but intend to do so)
* The Sun Also Rises AND Death in the Afternoon - both by Ernest Hemingway about bullfighting (the kids' ones were enough for me, but these add to the record)
* Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

Non-fiction:
We borrowed everything the library had; most were merely informative, but the following were gems.
* Find Out About Spain by Duncan Crosbie
* DK First Spanish Picture Dictionary (chosen above the others we perused as it had a pronunciation guide)
* A Taste of Spain by Bob Goodwin (had recipes in it that we tried out in our own kitchen and thoroughly enjoyed - can't wait to go there!)
* The Story of Pablo Picasso by Liz Gogerly (Lifetimes series)
* Pablo Picasso by Kate Scarborough (Artists in Their World series)
* What Makes a Goya a Goya?

Does anyone know a good children's book about Velazquez? (we've been limited to looking at pictures in big art anthologies)
And any other *Spain* books you'd recommend?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola - my kids are all grown up but two other books I have read and constantly dip into are:

Roads to Santiago by Cees Nooteboom - rather than being about the camino is really a travelogue through all of Spain.

Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett - I'd say essential reading for anyone wishing to understand the modern history and culture of Spain.

Kiwi-family said:
And any other *Spain* books you'd recommend?
Hola,
For such a long list a must read is “The Way of Saint James” by Georgiana Goddard King.
Search “Georgiana” on this forum or read it free online:
http://www.openlibrary.org/details/wayo ... 01kinguoft
http://www.openlibrary.org/details/wayo ... 02kinguoft
http://www.openlibrary.org/details/wayo ... 03kinguoft
Buen Camino!
Geerτ
PS: Read it before you go, because when you do it afterwards you’ll want to go again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another thumbs up for Ghosts of Spain, an updated version has recently been reprinted.

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee

Duende: A journey in search of Flamenco by Jason Webster
Guerra: Living in the shadows of the Spanish Civil War by Jason Webster

The is first pre-war and a classic and the second two are recent ones.

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...
My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.