Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

General Packing question

Book your Bus ticket here

Past OR future Camino
CP coastal then central then spiritual June 22
Hi folks,

I'm heading off this Sunday, have my packing list done, and most of the gear is now spread out on the bed in the spare room.

Starting my walking from Porto on the 7th June, mainly the Central Route and then I'm thinking Variante Espiritual.

In terms of packing, I'm wondering about the weather and hoping folks might have some tips.

Do I bring a rain jacket? Or will it only be sweaty and would it better to have a cheap poncho instead?

Should I bring a light down jacket for evenings/mornings or would a fleece be sufficient?

(Coming from Ireland where you never know what the weather will do I actually have all of the above in my hiking bag, even in the middle of summer !!!!)

Thanks,

Phil

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Jodean

Past OR future Camino
22 Sept. to 21 Oct. 2015, Pamplona to Santiago
6-23.04 Porto to Santiago 2018
17.09-30.09 CF 2018
Please no cheap ponchos. Get one that you can use on multiple Caminos.
Get one that has the extra pocket on the back for your pack, like an Altus. They don't blow in the wind, they don't flap and they last for years.

Past OR future Camino
CP coastal then central then spiritual June 22
Please no cheap ponchos. Get one that you can use on multiple Caminos.
Get one that has the extra pocket on the back for your pack, like an Altus. They don't blow in the wind, they don't flap and they last for years.

I'm wondering what would be more suitable for the weather at the time I will be on the road

So I was hoping for an opinion on should I bring a rainjacket (which I have), or a poncho (which I don't) ?

I wouldn't use a poncho at home, so if I'm getting one it would be for this trip specifically and probably will be inexpensive.

roving_rufus

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
I won't go out and buy anything new in terms of rain gear, the jacket will be fine if needed. There is currently another thread about umbrellas for sunshade (as well as for rain) which I definitely take caminoing (and I am from Ireland I don't go too far without an umbrella) which avoids stickiness in several ways.
As for warm layer one or other is sufficient, at this time of year I'd probably plump for the fleece

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads