• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

General Questions re: Vezelay, Le Puy, Arles

Chuck Cunningham

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting April, 15, 2017
Questions about: Vezelay, LePuy, Arles.

Of these three which is the most popular? Did you hike any of them? How much did you enjoy your hike?

I am interested in hiking one of these and would like one with stages being not too long. I also wouldn't mind seeing and meeting a few pilgrims.

I have read on this forum somewhere that the Le Puy is the most popular?

If you were to pick one which one would it be?

I realize these are loaded questions so if you can just help me out briefly so i can sort out and study one or the other.

I realize there are posts on these routes however I seem to get lost in all the language and inside info. Sorry..i don't understand a lot of the posts.. so just some simple advice is all i am asking.

Thanks my friends.

i

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have walked the Le Puy route twice. It is my favorite. I have walked Via Tolosana twice. It is very nice but sparsely traveled (even less traveled from Arles). I have walked Via Vezelay once. It is unique. You stay on a lot of private homes where only French will be spoken.

Bon chemin.

I have walked the Le Puy route twice. It is my favorite. I have walked Via Tolosana twice. It is very nice but sparsely traveled (even less traveled from Arles). I have walked Via Vezelay once. It is unique. You stay on a lot of private homes where only French will be spoken.

Bon chemin.
The Le Puy seems to be quite popular. Can you please elaborate on the LP a little. Thanks a lot. This really helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It is a walk with the French. If you don't speak French, ask St. James to provide a translator!! Call ahead each day. The French do.

According to the Santiago pilgrim office statistics of those given Compostelas last year 3396 people started in Le Puy, 194 in Vezelay and 107 in Arles. Seems that the Le Puy route is by far the most popular of the three.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/
Definitely sheds some light on the subject. Looks like Le Puy may be the way to go. At least one could have some contact with other pilgrims.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Since you asked "if you could do one of the routes, which would you do"....I can answer that since we could choose and did choose the Le Puy route. It was fantastic but very very different from the Frances. As has been mentioned over and over, you walk with the French, not necessarily with pilgrims. There are less facilities but we just planned ahead and booked everything. The grades are tougher than the Frances....kind of like walking the Roncevalles day over and over for some of it.
But, very rewarding and a great choice.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can you please elaborate on the LP a little.
Reading blogs is wonderfully educational as you research the various pilgrim routes. I've walked the Le Puy route, and the blog is linked in my sig block below. There are others too, of course.

I have walked the Le Puy route, but not the Vezelay or Arles (yet). I would highly recommend the Le Puy. Beautiful scenery, pretty villages, not crowded but a number of other pilgrims on the route (especially from Le Puy to Conques), well marked, and good infrastructure in terms of gites, cafes, etc. It is not easy, as there are a lot of ups and downs, but if you take it at your own pace, there is nothing that should be too much of an issue if you feel capable of walking the 750kms or so to SJPdP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is a walk with the French. If you don't speak French, ask St. James to provide a translator!! Call ahead each day. The French do.
Falcon, what is meant by "ask St. James for a translator?" also by "call ahead" i assume you mean for lodging?

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back