• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

General Thoughts on Nutrition ?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
It's very tempting to treat my first Camino as a chance to savour the delights of everything on offer, rather like Joost in the movie 'The Way'. After all, surely I'll burn of all those extra calories?

But I was curious about what the 'right' nutrition should be. After all, this is a long walk and eating the right things, well at least some of them, might help with maintaining energy levels and good health.

I found this interesting article on searching for 'thru hiking nutrition'. OK, the advice is really for hikers who need to carry all their food with them, but the insights into nutritional needs are quite interesting.

So I shall be equipping myself with a trail bag of GORP , avoiding high sugar breakfasts (if that is possible) and going for Hi Carb dinners. Well that's the theory of course. It might all go out the window on Day 1....

An interesting read....http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In an ideal world you would eat lots of protein, eggwhites ect, high fiber complex carbs, minerals ect, but.....your on the camino and more then once you are thrown at the mercy of the pilgrim menu which isn't, nutricionwise, the best meal one could eat. A (white) pasta in canned tomato sauce really isnt a meal to write home about. And thats often just a starter.

Furthermore the breads in Spain are mostly white and along the walk you can hardly buy any other breads then baguettes and the lovely but oh so greasy croissants. I cant remember ever having seen a wholewheat. I am sure there are some, if you really look for 'm, but i cant remember.

Lucky for you, you will burn enough calories to not have to go all weightwatcher on yourself and start counting the calories you eat, so on that level you will also be ok. I think its the added alcohol (way too mucho for some) that adds the hidden calories and might make you end up like Joost :)

I always loose weight and i hate it. For me it is impossible to find all the proteins and good carbs i need to NOT loose weight. Because of low bodyfat, loosing weight for me is always loosing muscle. Muscle i work very hard for to maintain, while running alot.
Yes, i can eat 10 snickers a day and surely i wont loose weight, but just gain fat and thats not what i want either.

It is what it is on the camino and we all just try to make the best of it. On the food dept :)

I really dont like to make my own diner while on the camino, but if you want to eat a good healthy meal, that is your best option......

Last edited:
The right nutrition is the food on the plate before you ;) Seriously, carry always dried fruit, chocolate, candy bars for an emergency snack with you. Enjoy what is on offer in the villages, eat plenty banana and go lightly on the vino. Enjoy what you find, try to get some pilgrims together for a communally cooked meal and don't overthink things. Buen Camino! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"..................After all, surely I'll burn of all those extra calories?"...............Almost certainly:D

........."Well that's the theory of course. It might all go out the window on Day 1."........ Almost certainly:([/QOUTE]

You might be pleasantly (or unpleasantly?) surprised at how much weight it can be possible to lose once you are into the swing of the Camino.

If I may offer a word of personal experience as advice. :rolleyes:

I underestimated how much energy I would expend, I thought I knew myself well enough. It didn't take me too long to work out that my usual "little snack of something along the way" needed to be replenished at every opportunity. I ended up with a permanent reserve of dark chocolate (Yummy!), some biscuit type snack (usually what is referred to as energy bars), one of those huge tomatoes that are common to find or a banana or a boiled egg. With lots of hydration, I was ok.:D

Buen (sliming) Camino

The right nutrition is the food on the plate before you ;) Seriously, carry always dried fruit, chocolate, candy bars for an emergency snack with you. Enjoy what is on offer in the villages, eat plenty banana and go lightly on the vino. Enjoy what you find, try to get some pilgrims together for a communally cooked meal and don't overthink things. Buen Camino! SY
Completely agree, except for "go lightly on the vino." I'd modify that slightly and say don't go too heavily!

Best source of protein in the villages is tortilla, which is basically an onion and potato omelet.

Karl

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, so the 'right' menu for me was whatever was placed before me -- and a lot of that to be sure. I still lost about 7% of my body weight on the Camino. I'm sure you're aware by now that the typical breakfast on the Camino is a couple of slices of wonderful bread or a delicious pastry (love those Napolitanos!), with some jam (invariably strawberry or peach), and cafe con leche -- sometimes supplemented with fresh orange juice and a small container of yogurt (sometimes plain, but more often strawberry or peach). Unless you carry your own lunch, you'll typically be eating a ham or tuna bocadillo (sandwich on a baguette roll), sometimes with cheese, and if you ask for it, a slice or two of tomato. Unless you buy food and fix your own dinner, you'll either be eating what the albergue has to offer or a pilgrims' menu in a nearby bar/cafe. Either way, you'll be eating a lot of carbs from bread, pasta, and french fries. One of my favorite options on the pilgrims' menu was called (I think) Cuban rice, which was a big bowl of white rice topped with a fried egg and a red sauce. Of course nothing tastes better than a cool beer (more carbs) in the afternoon after you get settled into your albergue, and at least a half-bottle of wine per person at dinner. And as others have said, take some sort of snack with you while walking, be it banana, apple, energy bar, or chocolate. Just be aware that bananas and fresh peaches are easily smooshed in your backpack no matter how you carry them, and the results can be quite unpleasant. For that reason, carrying a small plastic food storage container is advisable.

... Just be aware that bananas and fresh peaches are easily smooshed in your backpack no matter how you carry them, and the results can be quite unpleasant. For that reason, carrying a small plastic food storage container is advisable.
A tupperware container comes to my mind! Buen Camino! SY

For the most part I thought the food in Spain was great and never held back from eating, and by the time I reached Santiago on both Caminos I was about 10 kilos lighter.
My only gripe was with the breakfasts there, or what I mainly saw available for breakfast. Basically some sort of piece of toasted bread with jam, or a croissante or similar sweet pastry. Not really the best of fuel to start off a 20-30 km walk with a pack, and not something I eat at home. When I could I would buy some fruit like bananas to eat in the morning, and if possible some type of energy bars and maybe some dark chocolate. Easy to find that stuff in any of the towns with a grocery store, large or small. That would be enough fuel for me until I reached the first town where I could get some real food.
As far as lunches go, easy to find meals on the Camino that consist of protein and complex carbs.
On my first Camino I met one local, very fit Spaniard that would (when he could) freeze a can of beer (a lot of albergues have fridges) and by noon or so it was defrosted and he would drink it for a carb boost.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I either seriously under-thought this aspect of my camino, or perhaps accepted that I was going to be subject to the vagaries of what was available wherever I chose to eat.

My basic approach:
  • I took a large packet of jelly beans with me, intending to buy other snacks at SJPP. That didn't happen, and for the first few days these were my only snacks.
  • Once I had established myself, my food bag contained sweets, dried fruit, nuts, bread, chorizo or another dried sausage, cheese, portion control packs of jam, chocolate and where I could, a piece of fresh fruit like an orange or apple. I bought or replaced items over several days so that I wasn't replenishing the whole lot at once.
  • In the evening, I would try and buy three pieces of fruit - one to eat at the time, one for the following morning and one for a snack the following day. If I could find it, I would also buy a yoghurt, a small pack of juice and some bread for early breakfast (ie before leaving the albergue). Where juice only came in three or six packs, I would check to see if the shopkeeper was prepared to split a pack. Most were, but sometimes where I had to buy a six pack, I would have to carry the extras.
  • During the day, I would have second breakfast (coffee and toast, tortilla, or whatever looked good) at the first open bar, and buy lunch (bocadillo, etc) where I was in a village or town. I would snack from my food bag along the way, share my chocolate and snacks with other pilgrims when I was having a break, etc.
  • In the evening, I would normally eat out. Having the pilgrim meal was common, but many places will serve combination plates with a nice salad and other vegetables. Admittedly this was easier in larger towns than smaller villages
This wasn't a result of some well considered nutritional approach - it emerged as a response to local circumstances and what was available where I stayed. If I knew that I was going to be staying in a small village, I would shop in the previous town. If I wasn't keen on eating out, I would buy food I could cook in the albergue. It's not rocket science!

Please don't misunderstand my initial post. I wasn't talking about dieting or trying to avoid certain foods as such. I appreciate that what we eat o the Camino, is merely what is available to a degree.

If you look at the link, the value I found from the article was really knowing what 'types' of foods to eat 'when'. When to load up on carbs etc. And in fact, according to the writer at least, white bread with ham or cheese seems to be perfect hiking 'fuel' as are croissants! (mix of carbs and fats) http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

Last edited:
Sorry to say, for some of us it is not as simple as that. Through the years I have been walking in France and Spain i have been surprised of the low amount of vegetables and the high amount of carbs in meals. We always learned about Mediterrainian food as very healthy, but as diabetic I have some trouble seeing that. Since I cannot eat all these snacks, pasta and white bread, I have too carry substitutes, fullcornbread, wasa knekkebrød and vegetables. I always try to get a menu del dia, with the possibilities of choosing a ensalada mixta to get some vegetables, and if I ask I can often get a yoghurt natural sin azucar or a fruit as a postre. I surely wish the right nutrition could be the food on the plate before me, since I often can't eat what is served.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just make sur you have breakfast before you head
Please don't misunderstand my initial post. I wasn't talking about dieting or trying to avoid certain foods as such. I appreciate that what we eat o the Camino, is merely what is available to a degree.

If you look at the link, the value I found from the article was really knowing what 'types' of foods to eat 'when'. When to load up on carbs etc. And in fact, according to the writer at least, white bread with ham or cheese seems to be perfect hiking 'fuel' as are croissants! (mix of carbs and fats) http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

Yeah... no. This is no Everest hike. It's a little walk from village to village. Day after day. After day. You eat what is put in front of you. If you know your body and its preferences, if you get the option go for what suits it best, otherwise, just eat.

I tend not to eat at the albergue in the AM (I have no need for faux-coffee and stale white bread) and make it to the village where I will have CCL (cafe con leche), a fresh orange juice if available, and the carb of the day: croissant most likely or tortilla. But that's just me.

The real trick is to avoid sandwiches (bocadillos) at "lunch time" and "pilgrim menu" in the evening. After bkfast, snack on chocolate, nuts, fruit or chorizo and have a late luch around 2-4 pm, where and then the locals do lunch. Then in the evening have a light snack and head to bed.

It's very tempting to treat my first Camino as a chance to savour the delights of everything on offer, rather like Joost in the movie 'The Way'. After all, surely I'll burn of all those extra calories?

But I was curious about what the 'right' nutrition should be. After all, this is a long walk and eating the right things, well at least some of them, might help with maintaining energy levels and good health.

I found this interesting article on searching for 'thru hiking nutrition'. OK, the advice is really for hikers who need to carry all their food with them, but the insights into nutritional needs are quite interesting.

So I shall be equipping myself with a trail bag of GORP , avoiding high sugar breakfasts (if that is possible) and going for Hi Carb dinners. Well that's the theory of course. It might all go out the window on Day 1....

An interesting read....http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php
Just about the time you stop for the day to get a bed at the Albergue the town closes down for siesta. during that time it's hard to find anything to eat and the stores are closed. My motto became, "never pass an open grocery without picking up a piece of fruit, a vegetable to cook later or a container of yogurt". You will begin to practice defensive eating. Restaurants don't open until early evening and each seating lasts a couple of hours. Food is delicious, but way too much food to then go to sleep on. Wonderful Valencia oranges and pan bread are always available. Bar food is almost always available, but is almost always a sandwich or quiche type fare under glass and not always refrigerated. We have a deer farm here in NH and we make Venison Sticks out of some of it. I took 30 Venison Sticks (think Jerky) in the bottom of my bag and it was my source of protein most days. They didn't need refrigeration. Sometimes I bought a doz eggs to hard boil at the place I stayed, but inevitably they were gone in the morning. :( Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We have a deer farm here in NH and we make Venison Sticks out of some of it. I took 30 Venison Sticks (think Jerky) in the bottom of my bag and it was my source of protein most days.
Lovely, taking US made meat accross borders, which is SUPER illegal. Anyone for more Mad Cow Disease crises?

Really, please be respectufl other the countries you come into with your 'home made stuff' and leave it behind. No country needs '"Mad Cow' problems.

Just about the time you stop for the day to get a bed at the Albergue the town closes down for siesta. during that time it's hard to find anything to eat and the stores are closed. My motto became, "never pass an open grocery without picking up a piece of fruit, a vegetable to cook later or a container of yogurt". You will begin to practice defensive eating. Restaurants don't open until early evening and each seating lasts a couple of hours. Food is delicious, but way too much food to then go to sleep on. Wonderful Valencia oranges and pan bread are always available. Bar food is almost always available, but is almost always a sandwich or quiche type fare under glass and not always refrigerated. We have a deer farm here in NH and we make Venison Sticks out of some of it. I took 30 Venison Sticks (think Jerky) in the bottom of my bag and it was my source of protein most days. They didn't need refrigeration. Sometimes I bought a doz eggs to hard boil at the place I stayed, but inevitably they were gone in the morning. :( Buen Camino!
that's just plain rude....

Lovely, taking US made meat accross borders, which is SUPER illegal. Anyone for more Mad Cow Disease crises?

Really, please be respectufl other the countries you come into with your 'home made stuff' and leave it behind. No country needs '"Mad Cow' problems.

LOL It is SEALED in a package just like anything you would buy in a store. Our deer are behind 12 ft fences with only our organic hay, our own grain and no hormones or antibiotics. This is NH and we don't sell the sick ones. . . We burry them. Our Deer are happy Deer. :) peace out Friend

A selection of Camino Jewellery

:confused: umm....I think that's transmitted by the consuming of the brain and or spinal cord of infected animals. Don't think it's at all related to strips of dried meat from wild deer being consumed by humans.
If I ever see you in Spain, rubyslippers, sho nuff save me some of that venison jerky. Love me some. Dad and I used to make it homemade when I was younger. ;)

LOL It is SEALED in a package just like anything you would buy in a store. Our deer are behind 12 ft fences with only our organic hay, our own grain and no hormones or antibiotics. This is NH and we don't sell the sick ones. . . We burry them. Our Deer are happy Deer. :) peace out Friend

I'll look out for you on an episode of 'Border Security' as some stage :)

But it does sound yummy!

If you have never seen 'Border Security' check it out. It's amazing what some people try to bring in to Australia. And the excuses. I see they have lots of episodes on YouTube. Here's a food one! (Bio Security is big here, to protect our Agriculture and Livestock)

P.S. I think you would get away with 'Jerky' OK. But don't even think about not declaring it..... The Dogs will find it!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hon, check out your immigration card you have to fill out. Packaging has nothing to do with it. If not an experienced worldwide traveler, and more of a TV watcher, check out Border something or other on TLC or what have you. No meat, fresh, canned or otherwise preserved is welcomed from abroad. Just read the form, or inform yourself about what you can bring into Europe before heading out.

I'll look out for you on an episode of 'Border Security' as some stage :)

But it does sound yummy!

If you have never seen 'Border Security' check it out. It's amazing what some people try to bring in to Australia. And the excuses. I see they have lots of episodes on YouTube. Here's a food one! (Bio Security is big here, to protect our Agriculture and Livestock)

P.S. I think you would get away with 'Jerky' OK. But don't even think about not declaring it..... The Dogs will find it!

I actually am a flight attendant for NWA and then Delta after we merged. I've traveled into and out of many many countries. I'm security cleared to a high level through TSA and I'm a FEMA housing inspector, which took a long 2+ hour interview with Federal Marshals. They've checked everything but my underwear! ;) I learned many things and one of them was ALWAYS, ALWAYS Declare, declare, declare. Then you let them look at what it is you are bringing in and they can either let you or you can toss it, but that way you don't get into trouble. The fines are huge too. I always declare. <3 hahahaha on the episode of Border Security. LOL PS, I could tell you stories all day long of what people try to take into and out of countries. When in doubt declare.

I actually am a flight attendant for NWA and then Delta after we merged. I've traveled into and out of many many countries. I'm security cleared to a high level through TSA and I'm a FEMA housing inspector, which took a long 2+ hour interview with Federal Marshals. They've checked everything but my underwear! ;) I learned many things and one of them was ALWAYS, ALWAYS Declare, declare, declare. Then you let them look at what it is you are bringing in and they can either let you or you can toss it, but that way you don't get into trouble. The fines are huge too. I always declare. <3 hahahaha on the episode of Border Security. LOL PS, I could tell you stories all day long of what people try to take into and out of countries.
Yikes, I should have never sneaked in those undeclared Cuban cigars coming in from a flight from Dubai, once.
Oh well....I later felt so guilty I burned the evidence. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I actually am a flight attendant for NWA and then Delta after we merged. I've traveled into and out of many many countries. I'm security cleared to a high level through TSA and I'm a FEMA housing inspector, which took a long 2+ hour interview with Federal Marshals. They've checked everything but my underwear! ;) I learned many things and one of them was ALWAYS, ALWAYS Declare, declare, declare. Then you let them look at what it is you are bringing in and they can either let you or you can toss it, but that way you don't get into trouble. The fines are huge too. I always declare. <3 hahahaha on the episode of Border Security. LOL PS, I could tell you stories all day long of what people try to take into and out of countries.

We bring in some amazing and weird looking food from Thailand where we live part of the year. Always declared. And surprisingly, they have only ever take away one item.

Robo, I just watched that video! Interesting. . . Coming out of AMS to the US I used to make my whole Crew go through Agriculture. Those containers of Tulips that are legal to bring back and are stamped OK to bring back still they find unknown bugs more times than not. They appreciate crews coming through even when we don't have to or even if we are carrying LEGAL items as it helps them know which things need to be tightened up on. If you declare in the US you are good. Can't speak to other countries, but I still always declare. Sorry if I offended anyone with my Venison Sticks. :) Good night Y'all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Robo, you may find this article of interest, especially if you wonder about the when to eat what. I find the author's 50-35-15 ratio (carb, fat, protein) to work well for my long hikes on medium-difficulty terrain. Key for me is to snack often and not let myself get into a "low", which tends to make me eat too much and too fast when I take a break or arrive at my destination. Hope it helps (or entertains) :)

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLightEatRight/snacks.htm#top

Robo, you may find this article of interest, especially if you wonder about the when to eat what. I find the author's 50-35-15 ratio (carb, fat, protein) to work well for my long hikes on medium-difficulty terrain. Key for me is to snack often and not let myself get into a "low", which tends to make me eat too much and too fast when I take a break or arrive at my destination. Hope it helps (or entertains) :)

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLightEatRight/snacks.htm#top

Aaaaand I quoted the same article you did. Guess you *did* find it interesting, eh... :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
P.S. I think you would get away with 'Jerky' OK. But don't even think about not declaring it...../QUOTE]

At Sydney airport last year I wasn't allowed to bring in a sealed packet of jamon iberico, but cheese was OK.

When you walk all day you can eat a big pile of food. When your food volume is high, if it is at all balanced, you'll get all the vitamin and minerals you need. Relax.....eat the local food, in good quantities, and your remarkably adaptive human body will thrive out there.

Unless you have a serious medical condition, there is no reason to bring any food along. There is plenty of good food in Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My advice. Eat local food, drink lots of beer and enjoy it.
And ¡Que aproveche! and Buen Camino.

Beer has lots of Carbs doesn't it? Sounds like perfect walking fuel then! Probably even more effective though with lots of salted chips....

Cerveza = Cereal juice. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Spain we say: " Con pan y vino se hace camino ", " With bread and wine make path". Here we are more the wine, but in the summer time the beer is more refreshing.
Buen Provecho, excuse me Buen Camino.

As a vegetarian, el menú del día isn't always an option for me. When in rural Spain, my 'diet' consists mostly of potatoes, egs and cheese. I also find it hard to get enough veggies (at home I eat 250-500 grams of vegetables a day). After some time the bocadillos con queso and the tortilla de patatas become pretty boring. That's why I always carry food in my pack - at least nuts and dried fruits - and I try to cook my own meal when I can.

I have fallen in love with Spain a long time ago, but it isn't for the food ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Luka, We eat tons of veggies too and my favorite meals were "group soup" in places with kitchens. I always pick up a potato and a carrot/onion. Someone else picks up a few and you get the most amazing concoction. They don't need to be refrigerated either. Many people carry pasta. I take a few zip locks and a light weight, disposable tupperware type container too.

The continental breakfasts are not really fuel for walking/cycling. I always pick up a small bag of oats so I can have that in the morning with some dried fruit and water. It tastes far better than it sounds and gives good energy. I quite often cook as I go along as firstly I couldn't afford to eat out every day and secondly I would feel I had scurvy! I am used to eating oodles of vegetables - they make up the majority of meals with protein/carbs and fat from whatever is available. I do love Spanish food when I do eat out - and Portuguese - and French... As to losing weight - I wish..!

Each of us will have different nutritional needs depending on how one metabolizes. Personally, I find myself wanting carbs all day long for energy. In that sense, I can happily survive on the camino with wine, bread, and hard candies. But my digestive system would prefer some fiber, and I know I ought to be balancing those carbs with protein, so I tend to hit the groceries for pan integral (in baguette form); carrots, apples (both durable for the pack); and tins of tuna or sardines for sandwiches--which make for an excellent breakfast.

€149,-
Each of us will have different nutritional needs depending on how one metabolizes. Personally, I find myself wanting carbs all day long for energy. In that sense, I can happily survive on the camino with wine, bread, and hard candies. But my digestive system would prefer some fiber, and I know I ought to be balancing those carbs with protein, so I tend to hit the groceries for pan integral (in baguette form); carrots, apples (both durable for the pack); and tins of tuna or sardines for sandwiches--which make for an excellent breakfast.

Excuse my lack of understanding of the North American vernacular....... but what are 'hard candies' ? Boiled sweets?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In Spain we say: " Con pan y vino se hace camino ", " With bread and wine make path". Here we are more the wine, but in the summer time the beer is more refreshing.
Buen Provecho, excuse me Buen Camino.

I must confess Mikel, that red wine is my beverage of choice. Though my Doctor has had difficult explaining to me what equals enough :oops:

Are these called boiled sweets in Australia? I guess that makes perfect sense, as they are made by boiling sugar...
By the way, I'm still trying to find a place in the US or online to buy the particular candies I like in Spain--they're one's that come in a bag of different flavors including honey, anise, blackberry, mint, etc. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I started an entire thread about them once and no one responded. I won't give up :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are these called boiled sweets in Australia? I guess that makes perfect sense, as they are made by boiling sugar...
By the way, I'm still trying to find a place in the US or online to buy the particular candies I like in Spain--they're one's that come in a bag of different flavors including honey, anise, blackberry, mint, etc. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I started an entire thread about them once and no one responded. I won't give up :)

In the UK as a kid we always called them boiled sweets. I think in Australia they tend to be just called by whatever brand they are.... Never bought them here.

My husband insists he doesn't get enough protein when travelling - so he buys lots of tins of sardines and mackerel and shovels it down cold from the tin - disgusting!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Disgusting hahaha brrrrr

My husband insists he doesn't get enough protein when travelling - so he buys lots of tins of sardines and mackerel and shovels it down cold from the tin - disgusting!!!
You're right. The least he could do is add a clove or two of chopped garlic and some sliced tomato to make a cold salad!

I loved sardines from the can! Not something I ever ate before the Camino, or since, come to think of it. But when I was walking, I thought it was great. Meanwhile, I found a picture of the hard candy/boiled sweets I'm looking for. Anyone know a local or online source, or even what they're called?

Attachments

• spanish candy.jpg
    spanish candy.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 8
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yeah, that's certainly no way to eat it. He needs to add a little bit of Tabasco and put them on a saltine cracker. Now that's yum. Good stuff when out fishing and such. ;)

You're right. The least he could do is add a clove or two of chopped garlic and some sliced tomato to make a cold salad!

When flying for the airline you get really god at adding to and adapting foil bags of tuna fish. Add a packet of mustard or a packet of pickle relish from the fast food stand in the airport! My friends from Japan were experts at making a meal out of fish and sauces! o_O

Hi Kellyz.
Caramelos = candy, sweet (hard, for lick)
Gominolas = candy, sweet (tender for chew).
Buen provecho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back