• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Generosity on the Camino

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Just outside Leon , an old lady called me over to her small garden. She greeted me with a big toothless smile and walked over to a battered apple tree. On the tree was a solitary little apple , as battered as the tree itself. She picked the apple and placed it in my hand with both of hers as if it were a treasure.
"Bon viaggi" she said and gave me another big smile - I had to TRY to eat it even though it was totally inedible. Another soul who should go straight to heaven.

any one else experience such selfless generosity on the Camino?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From my journal:
Sunday was our most unrelenting day. It was nearly our longest day, and the start of a week of lots of heat, humidity, and direct sun (which is the worst). It was relentless because, at the top of each ridge, you could see that you would descend the entire altitude gain, only to have the next ridge of similar height! As sun and humidity rose, so did the frustration. We can't blame it on some chemin sadist, because it was a paved road, probably in use for centuries. We had five ridges, and we seemed to go over the very highest part of each ridge. I swear that on the fourth ridge, we could have gone higher only if they had made us climb the tree on the top of the ridge.

So, we learned to start earlier, and have done a good job since Sunday at arriving by early afternoon at the destination. That trades the boredom of small towns, with nothing more than a church, for hiking in the heat. Yesterday, for example, there was not a single thing to purchase in the town. Even the gas station had closed, and it used to be the single place selling bread and beverage. As a result of all the hungry pilgrims that were arriving, the lady who collects the money on behalf of the mayor for the municipal gite has set up a very small grocery store, and sells a few canned items, drinks, and ice cream at 3 pm and 6 pm.

We cooked the French equivalent of franks and beans for dinner. Otherwise, we sat in the shade or lay sweltering in our beds waiting for the sun to set. As usual, our room faced west, so we had light to the bitterest of ends! I did not realize until France that every room in a building can face west. It must have been karma for stopping before the sun had a chance to cook us. The ice cream was good, I must say.

The landscape is still a nice view, but very similar each day. We saw a deer and her fawn in a corn field. The corn is "knee high by the fourth of July," but needs rain. A lot of fields are irrigated, but many farmers seem at risk of a drought. The following day we saw a family of three martins. That is about it for wild life. Many fields are labeled as hunting preserves AND preserves of wild life. I am not sure how the two can be the same, but it makes sense to the French, so who am I to take issue.

Again on the French not being friendly, yesterday morning we were collapsed roadside, soaking wet from starting the hike in the dark and hiking in 100 percent humidity. A Frenchman in a beret stopped his car, said a few words in French that we were too tired to understand, then extended a big bag of freshly picked cherries and insisted that we take two handsful each! I must say that our reception everywhere has been remarkable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
johnnyman said:
You sure she wasn't just a little cuckoo? :?

..........Still hopes that she will go straight to heaven ............................ and what a gesture! ........we may still be able to learn from the 'Cuckoo' .

When I'm an Old man ,................... a Cuckoo old man......................................... , ......I will dish out free ' Licor de Hierbas' to all willing pilgrims - then I will go straight to heaven!?? :mrgreen:

We were sitting an a nice restaurant in Santiago, tanned, tired, clearly celebrating the finish of a trip. The waiter appeared with a fancy bottle of brandy and crystal glasses---said it was from a Spanish gentleman a few tables away!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And who can forget Agapito, Amigo del Pelegrino who leaves a basket of biscuits and peanuts outside his house between Virgen del Camino and Villadangos del Paramo?

Just one instance. I had a rest day in SJPP, and was enjoying doing a few chores and slowly exploring. A young man I had met walking a couple of days before- I think he was from Switzerland- called me over to a cafe where he was enjoying a coffee, and I ordered a hot chocolate. We had a pleasant conversation, then he left before I was quite ready. When I had finished and went to pay, I was told that the young man had paid for me. I never saw him again- but I tell you it did a 50 year old lady's heart glad to be paid for like that!
Margaret

Lise T said:
I hope to return to the Camino one day and I will take that picture with me...in the hopes that as I walk along the road....I will come across the "pancake" lady again and present it to her.

Lise,

Don't worry, the pancake lady is there everyday all day.
It has been her business for many years; she sells pancakes.
I hope you didn't think she was doing you a favor and didn't pay for your pancake. :oops:

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Canuck said:
I hope you didn't think she was doing you a favor and didn't pay for your pancake. :oops:

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Don't feel bad if you didn't pay. I think she doesn't exacly "sell pancakes" she gives them away for tips. Last time I saw her (several years ago) the group in front of us didn't pay. I tried to get a price from her, and she indicated that was my choice. I gave her a good price on them, and while she seemed pleased, she was happy with just the compliments from the other group.

leaving Campo Bocceros at first light with the frost white on the ground at sub-zero temps
i stopped in at a bar for a coffee and sticky bun breakfast
i walk out with this young spanish local and he sees me rubbing my hands to warm up
before the cold numbs my fingers holding my stix
and jokingly motions icy? we laugh and i walk on
i hear the sound of a big truck pulling up alongside me as i head out
and its this same young guy, driving his municipal waste removal truck
he rolls down the window and hands me his pair of gloves
it his gift to me he says
i still have the gloves as a memory of a random act of kindness

On my very first day of the Camino, walking out of Pamplona right after San Fermines (which explained my six-day hangover), it was a roasting July day. In the late morning I was ambling along, still pretty fuzzy, weighted down with a seriously overpacked backpack and wondering what I had gotten myself into, when a Spanish "ama de casa" leaned over a wooden fence (maybe her backyard?) and yelled, "Peregrino!" and motioned for me to come over to her. I did and she presented me with a tall glass of ice water and asked me to remember her when I got to Santiago. Better than that, I've never forgotten her. :arrow:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Somewhere I heard or read that people who assist pilgrims along the Camino do so in a spirit that the pilgrim will take their petitions along with them to St. James when they arrive at his namesake Cathedral.

Not sure whether that is actually always the motivation, but from those who simply wished a Buen Camino to the countless people who offered any sort of respite, I was happy to remember all of them at the Pilgrim Mass, asking that St. James will indeed intervene on their behalf. An instant flashback of those many good deeds occurred at the Mass. What a gift these people give to all of us.

While it may not be possible to directly repay those acts of kindness, I hope that in some way they have been inspirational as an example to follow when an opportunity to assist others arises. Ah, the Camino – a great metaphor for life.

As we all know, it doesn’t come to an end in Santiago.

There were always so many generous acts on the Camino but two are standing out right now.

On my first Camino, it was raining and I had not quite mastered getting my poncho to cover my backpack. A young Spanish woman walked by me, adjusted the poncho, wished me a 'buen camino' and walked on.

On the Via de la Plata, I was having a bad day when I came across a couple harvesting grapes, they told me to take some from the cart on the road. I tentatively took a small bunch and they insisted I take a real bunch. They asked me to "Saluto el Santo" and I walked on.

OK, one more, after a cold day of walking on the Camino Frances in December, the senoras of the village made me a delicious dinner of garlic soup, pork and chips in Hontanas del Camino.

What a great thread.

Last April-May walking from Tours to Bordeaux, then SJPP to Santiago;

Near Tours, in a camping ground, I was about to boil my camp stove to make dinner. An Australian couple in a luxury camper home, invited me in and cooked me dinner. I ate at their table. Love.

In Poitou-Charentes, after a hell of day before and a night camped in a forest, a French man pulled up in his station wagon and wishes me "Bon Chemin". My raddled brain took two seconds to work it out, then I was so grateful. It reinvigorated my soul. Hope.

I 'misdirected myself' a few kilometres out of Blaye, a young man saw me looking at my track notes, pulled up in his van and gave me a lift back to the way. I offered him euro and he flatly refused, almost offended. What a great guy. Charity.

In Spain, Roncesvalles, after walking over the Pyrenees and getting wet and hungry, I waited in line for the shower, felt like I was going to fall over and laid down on the cold floor in the hallway. A humble, silent, hospitalero brought me a mat to lie on. Mercy.

In a hostel in Navarre, a Scandinavian man sensed my grief, sadness and tiredness and hugged me tightly and without a word let me go. I knew it was going to be alright. Brotherhood.

Walking in Gallicia, English ladies helped me deal with stuff. Healing.

The Camino, what a gift to me! I'm so grateful.

Walking alone for hundreds of kilometres in France, struggling with the language, I followed that quiet inner voice and it guided me, consoled me and encouraged me.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/tic/tic20.htm

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
tamtamplin said:
@ michaelwalker
great post brother

Yup , my brother on the Mountain - that was about as good as a reply on this thread that you can get - thanx Michael. :)

Wow...Ditto the two previous posts!! Thank you, too!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have had many encounters such as you mention, Renshaw and others. But it is not simply confined to walking the Camino.
Just this past trip, these four things happened:
1/ I was admiring a game about Galicia in the 26th of July cafe in Santiago (opposite the new Police Staion - great breakfasts). I asked where I could buy one and the response was disappointing. It seemed it had been the result of a promotion by a local radio station some years ago. "But you can have it if you really like it," Noria said.
2/ My hosts at the Hostal Alameda (rua San Clemente - really recommended and very central) looked after my other luggage when I went to Muxia. Upon my return, Rosa gave me a beautiful book of old photos of Compostela. "It is Antonio´s favourite," she said. "He wants you to have it." Inside where these words:
Que esta visión al pasado sea una inspiracion para tu futuro I doubt I need to translate but it means:
That this visiion of the past will be an inspiration for your future. It was signed by Antonio, Rosa, and Lia their granddaughter whom I have watched grow up year by year.
3/ Seeing my interest in having a go at reading Rosalio del Castro's poems in Galego, the bookseller at the stall by the park gave me a little book about colours for children in Galego. "For your grandaughter," she said.
4/ My car's electrics were playing up most of the time. In Muxia it seemed to get worse. I asked the lady cleaning my room for a local garage. I figured it was something small like a fuse (it was) "Nothing in Muxia," she said, "but if it won't start tomorrow, you can take my car and go to the next town". I had met her just 5 minutes earlier!!!

And then there is Portugal. Five times in the past years I have found myself looking for something I can't find, and five times someone has either walked with me or jumped in the car or their motorcycle and said "Follow me!"

I wonder about these phenomena. Do we radiate something angelic while on or close to the Camino which makes others WANT to help us? Draws them to our innocence? Are we in some sort of state of grace that others can feel our weariness and our joy? I don't know. But I sure do like it!
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Yes Matron 'In a state of Grace' does it for me ............... and we must always remember to pass this spirit back on ...sorry , not meaning to patronize ...but you know what I mean? :)

Canuck said:
Lise T said:

I did pay for the pancake. Frankly, she did not seem to be particularly wealthy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This year as I left Lourdes France on the start of my Camino it was a time of much reflection as I had to make a decision. The time alone from Lourdes to Oloron was appreciated as I tried to decide and quell the anger inside of me. Not even the waters of Lourdes could quell this flame of anger although the quiet moments at the grotto did give me some moments of rest. I arrived in Oloron totally soaked from the rain. The night before I had spent the night in the parish house of Saint-Michel-D'Ossau with Fr. Pierre who fed me supper and breakfast in the morning as he sent me off into the rain with courage. In Oloron I stayed at Relais du Bastet and wonderful Hostel well equipped with all facilities. In the morning everyone one was going onto different directions and as I left I eventually came across a French gentleman who had stayed at the same Hostel as I had in Oloron and we hit and missed each other along the way. In between Oloron and L'Hopital Saint Blaise in a a quaint village I looked for a coffee bar but none was seen. as I followed the yellow arrows I came across a a deli-grocery shop. I asked the lady if there was a coffee bar in the village and she answered no. She then asked me if I wanted a coffee well I was reluctant to say yes at first and then I realized the generous nature and responded yes. She went upstairs and brought me a coffee and asked if I wanted sugar and I say please. She went into her store opened a box of sugar cubes and gave me sugar I drank that coffee made with loving hands and bought something in her deli shop to pay back for her generosity. Before I left I thanked her for kindness and she asked that I pray for her at Santiago she told me her name was Marie Pierre. I will be eternally grateful to her and will remember the act of kindness done to a stranger.
As I was leaving the shop the French man who had stayed in Oloron with me passed by and we chatted in little English he knew. His name was Francis as he liked to be called we stayed at the small Hostel in L'Hopital Saint Blaise together and traveled together to Saint Jean Pied du Port where we separated so he could spend time with his wife. We met up in Leon and spent a few days together and we went on and split before Astorga and met again in Vianna and eventually spent four days at the Seminario minor in Santiago going for dinner every night. This Camino was an event to remember oh especially in Burgos I had to rest for three days due to a knee injury and stayed at the Divina Pastora where Jose allowed me to stayed the hold time and played the guitar and sang for us each night. Many thanks to all the kind and generous people , God bless them all.
n+

The pancake lady yes if it's the same one that my walking companion from Leon, Cesar and I encountered. We were coming down from O Cebreiro and it was raining continuously we were cold and this lady called us and offered us pancake but she made it known she want money and we knew she must be wanting therefore we were generous. Nevertheless the fact that she made them and offered them was great.
n+

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is this she?

Attachments

• thumbnail.large.1.1210345020.old-lady-offers-crepes-from-her-farm-kitchen.jpg
    thumbnail.large.1.1210345020.old-lady-offers-crepes-from-her-farm-kitchen.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 2,049
When I hear people say that the' Camino will provide', I point out that it is the people on the camino who provide; there's nothing spiritual about it. It's social provision.

Millie Mochila said:
When I hear people say that the' Camino will provide', I point out that it is the people on the camino who provide; there's nothing spiritual about it. It's social provision.
Actually, for some of the people who 'provide', their help is indeed spiritually motivated. I am thinking back to some of the gîte owners with whom I stayed in France who I know sacrifice much to provide for pilgrims. And they do it because they believe in what pilgrims do.
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Millie Mochila said:
There are also complete atheists...
What about the partial atheists then? :roll:

------
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing :mrgreen:
------

Carli Di Bortolo

dutchpilgrim said:
What about the partial atheists then? :roll: I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing :mrgreen: Carli Di Bortolo
>
A cool Dutch reaction. Great!
The quote of Ghandi says it all: provide for the need, not the greed.
My life experience is, that the more one gives, the more one receives. Unconditionally!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was deeply moved while reading of all of your experiences. I, too, have some fond memories of this celestial generosity of human kindness while walking the camino frances in nov/dec 2010:

* one of my fellow peregrinos, James from Korea, made me push on just by an act of simple kindness and motivating words to Roncesvalles when meeting me while struggling in the Pyrenees to get up to the mountain pass eventually descending to Roncesvalles. ALSO this unusal man bought our common dinners at many restaurants for 15 persons explaining that "people whom I met before have given me so much, so this is how I repay that act of kindness"

* korean peregrinos Sinae and Iron gave me biscuits as comfort after being all wet in the attempt of crossing over the Napoleon Route just outside SJPP

* the elderly man at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP whom told me I just should pay for my scallop shell with a smile....

* the three elderly gents in Belorado whom I was taking photos of looking all picturesque while barbecuing in an alleyway, invited me for grilled pimientos, morcilla, wine, tequila and a little chat

* bruno from burgos and annie from australia, fellow peregrinos whom I had the privilege & joy to walk with, sharing chit-chats, wine, chocolate and sharon-fruits with....

* the spanish young pelegrino whom relieved my aching leg with pain-relieving cream

* swedish peregrino niklas from gothenburg who cooked me dinner while I was sick on the camino

you and many more.... blessings, Jonas

What an empowering thread. We already know that things don't always go as planned, such is life, so it is heart warming to read about the kindness that is shared on the camino from strangers or new friends. :)

-Shanetta

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2005 obviously in a sorry state as I entered the albergue in Najera. An Italian man came up to me and said "put your bag down, wash your hands, sit down here". He then proceeded to feed me.

At the time, I didn't even know his name and when I asked he told me that it wasn't important, what was important was that I had to eat.

I never saw Enzo again but have never forgotten his kindness to a stranger in need.

Early last November after slogging 20 km or so from Hornillos del Camino to Castrojeriz
along the top of the hills through wind, rain and a bit of sleet I finally arrived at the municipal albergue San Esteban at dusk. I was soaked, cold and VERY tired. After climbing the steps and pushing open the door the young Spanish ad hoc hospitalero said "Margaret! How about a tea?" Steaming hot, sugared and immediately served in a jam jar the tea was offered with true caritas. His gracious smile and welcome gesture of sincere simple hospitality are symbolic of the true camino spirit. We had met earlier when pilgrim floor mates at Granon. Such shared serendipity is precious.

Margaret

mspath said:
We had met earlier when pilgrim floor mates at Granon. Such shared serendipity is precious. Margaret
There's something special about being floor mates at Granon I think. In Granon in 2008 I slept next to a Frenchman called Francis who I am still in contact with. This year when I was planning to walk the route from Cluny to Le Puy, he offered advice, and then even offered to walk with me the first two days. He wanted to be sure I understood how the coquille balises worked to show direction, so that I wouldn't get lost. And he just wanted to support me as I started off on what he knew would be a far more solitary experience than walking from Le Puy was.
another Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nice to see this thread revived. Much on the Camino is from people who will never reap the benefit directly from what they do. I call it "The Pay-It-Forward" path. Pilgrims are important and whether we believe that help comes from "God's Grace" or just social kindness, it doesn´t matter; I approach it this way: that could be your son, daughter, grandchild, mother, sister,brother, dad, grandmom, gramps out there. Invite him or her in for a cup of coffee and a place to rest.
(And sometimes, "miracles" do seem to happen on El Camino de Las Estrellas...) :arrow:
TS

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.