• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geneva - Le Puy - SJPP - Santiago de Compostela - Muxia/Finisterre! Is my schedule reasonable?

camino_vida20

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino (2015)
*I posted this under Alternative Routes but I am not sure which is the best place for this question... so I'm reposting here... I hope I'm not offending anyone with the double post!*

Hi everyone!

Does this schedule seem reasonable to you based on your experience? I am in my mid-20s and quite fit but I just don't want to be a crazy lady and squash too much in per day.

Via Gebenennsis (Geneva to Le Puy-en-Velay): 18 days
Via Podiensis (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied-du-Port) + Detour to Figeac/Rocamadour/Célé Valley: 30 days + 6 days (I will take the train to Rocamadour from Figeac and back to Figeac and then walk to Cahors taking the Célé Valley detour)
Camino Frances + Muxia/Finisterre: 35 days

Just wanted to check in with you guys before I book my tickets! :D

Best wishes!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did you know there is a 90 day limit on your time in Schengen area?

Visa Requirements

The European Commission website provides the following link:

Schengen area border and visa policies:
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/index_en.htm

Other places that provide information include your government's foreign affairs or state department websites, and embassy websites for the countries you plan to travel.

Hi, yes I do know there is a Visa limit. I do think I can take less time to do this than the above schedule.

Also whariwharangi thank you so much for your response, but that wasn't an answer to my question. Given my age/fitness, I think I can get it done in 80-84 days - ahead of the schedule I've actually listed above (89 days). Now, given the experience of many here on the camino, I would please like some input on my schedule. Extrapolating from your experiences, for someone in the mid-20s with pretty good fitness, does this schedule seem unreasonable?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It depends by what you mean with your description "pretty good fitness". Does that mean you've been engaged in competitive athletics for 5-6 years? That you walk the dog around the block once a day? Or something in-between? Many people use the exact same words to describe levels of fitness that vary wildly. Have you even put on a 20-lb pack and walked 10 miles in a single day yet?

For those of us walking the common 15-20 km a day, we can just fit Le Puy - Santiago into the 90-day window. The three weeks from Geneva - Le Puy puts your 90-day schedule at risk, in my humble opinion.

It depends by what you mean with your description "pretty good fitness". Does that mean you've been engaged in competitive athletics for 5-6 years? That you walk the dog around the block once a day? Or something in-between? Many people use the exact same words to describe levels of fitness that vary wildly. Have you even put on a 20-lb pack and walked 10 miles in a single day yet?

For those of us walking the common 15-20 km a day, we can just fit Le Puy - Santiago into the 90-day window. The three weeks from Geneva - Le Puy puts your 90-day schedule at risk, in my humble opinion.

Dear Kitsambler, thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it! Yes, competitive athletics, daily exercise, trim, lean, muscular, and yes I have gone for 10 miles regularly with ease.

Hi, yes I do know there is a Visa limit. I do think I can take less time to do this than the above schedule.

Also whariwharangi thank you so much for your response, but that wasn't an answer to my question. Given my age/fitness, I think I can get it done in 80-84 days - ahead of the schedule I've actually listed above (89 days). Now, given the experience of many here on the camino, I would please like some input on my schedule. Extrapolating from your experiences, for someone in the mid-20s with pretty good fitness, does this schedule seem unreasonable?

From the perspective of endurance, I think your itinerary is very ambitious. Being able to do a thousand chin-ups before breakfast isn't the same as walking another ten kilometers with a pack when you are really tired.

I would suggest that the aim should be to experience the culture along the camino instead of 'getting it done'. Take time to smell the roses.

From both the perspective of 'endurance' and 'aim' I think your schedule is unreasonable. You've given yourself a gift of time and you burn it away by cramming your days with lots of walking.

How about starting your walk and when its time to leave you go home from wherever you are. No expectations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, competitive athletics, daily exercise, trim, lean, muscular, and yes I have gone for 10 miles regularly with ease.
Ten miles a day is 15 km. To make your schedule you'll need to make 25-30 km/day, which is nearly double that. This is certainly feasible; the Germans are notorious for putting in long days and covering 30 - 40 - sometimes 50 km. I would rate your chances of success (based on the limited info here) as 2 out of 3. Do not make the mistake of ignoring the need for rest days in your schedule; this is a plan that will really stress your body.

The second question, as raised by Whari above, is not whether you can do it, but should you? If all you are seeking is an athletic challenge, perhaps the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail end-to-end would suit better.

Your choice of routes is excellent. I find that the unexpected happens on most long trips, so that you need to be able to cope with change. The daily distance is challenging, but certainly something that many people can do. I suggest that you follow your plan as long as you are enjoying the experience. If you start to feel that less km per day would let you enjoy the walk more, walk less km. The Camino is not going away, so you can come back another year for something you missed. Just be prepared to find another way to get to your exit airport if you stop short of your plan.

...... Does this schedule seem reasonable to you based on your experience? I am in my mid-20s and quite fit but I just don't want to be a crazy lady and squash too much in per day.... Via Gebenennsis (Geneva to Le Puy-en-Velay): 18 days Via Podiensis (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied-du-Port) + Detour to Figeac/Rocamadour/Célé Valley: 30 days + 6 days (I will take the train to Rocamadour from Figeac and back to Figeac and then walk to Cahors taking the Célé Valley detour) Camino Frances + Muxia/Finisterre: 35 days [/QUOTE said:
Hi camino_vida20
Well- I know I couldn't do it. But that doesn't mean you can't. I'm not in your head so don't know your reasons for wanting to do it this way but if it means a lot to you to try for some reason then why not start out as planned and see what happens? You can always take a bus for part of the way. Of course you'll need to be careful - especially at the beginning to make sure you don't push yourself beyond your body's limits. As Kitsambler pointed out, 10 miles a day is not the same as 15 or more - day after day. But what's to lose in trying? It's my personal experience that it is often the young people who believe they are in good shape who end up pushing themselves too far and too fast who injure themselves, but that's not everyone, and it's not you.

You're you - but you did ask- so we give our opinions:rolleyes: (Of course we usually do anyway). One thing is for sure - walking or running the camino is not how much you can do in one day. It's about what you can do day after day after day. So in many cases - the turtles have a big advantage over the hares.

My only other comment is about what you might be looking for in the way of quality of the experience. It may be very hard to meet people and enjoy that whole aspect of what the camino offers by going so quickly. Does that matter to you this trip? Only you have the right answer for that part as well.
Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
*I posted this under Alternative Routes but I am not sure which is the best place for this question... so I'm reposting here... I hope I'm not offending anyone with the double post!*

Hi everyone!

Does this schedule seem reasonable to you based on your experience? I am in my mid-20s and quite fit but I just don't want to be a crazy lady and squash too much in per day.

Via Podiensis (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied-du-Port) + Detour to Figeac/Rocamadour/Célé Valley: 30 days + 6 days (I will take the train to Rocamadour from Figeac and back to Figeac and then walk to Cahors taking the Célé Valley detour)

Best wishes!
It's a bit of a rule of thumb that it is about 5-6 weeks Le Puy to SJJP and another 5-6 weeks SJPP to Santiago. This year on the Le Puy route we met quite a few people who had been over-ambitious in the number of kilometers they were covering each day and were suffering disappointing injuries quite early in their journey. However, there are no rules and if you need to chop out a bit (eg travel parts by bus) in order to get to your destination in the time you have available, don't worry about that. Or, as has been suggested, just go at your body's comfortable pace and see where you get to (a exciting thought - surrender the planning to the experience). It's also nice to stop here and there where you really love a place and have an unplanned rest day. So, like any pilgrimage from the middle ages to now, just go with the flow. Whatever you plan, the unexpected and memorable will happen, both upsetting and wonderful - it's part of what makes it so fabulous in comparison to a pre-organised coach tour type holiday.
Maggie Ramsay(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

Hi,

As mentioned earlier it very much depends on a number of factors as to whether the planned timing is reasonable. As we briefly talked about in a private conversation I walked from Rorschach Switzerland to Finisterre in 2013/2014...so my experience was that you can certainly enjoy yourself and walk the distances you are planning.

But it very much depends on so many factors such as your reasons for the walk. For me I simply enjoy walking all day outside and visiting the odd church or other local interest attraction. While I explored many places I stayed for the evening it certainly wasn't a deep exploration. I was fine with this as that was what I wanted to do...for others they have different needs.

I was relatively fit physically but not a spring chicken at 57. I planned on completed the 2,400 km (turned out closer to 2,600 with my various detours) in 95 days walking with 5 rest days. Well one thing I learned is THE PLAN will change and you have to be flexible. In my case due to a medical problem I had to return home on an emergency basis and completed the walk in 3 segments.

In total I walked 88 days with 2 rest days (simply enjoyed moving forward each day). I completed the Via Gebennesis in 13 days, Via Podiensis (The Puy) in 27 days and the Frances to Finisterre in 30 days. I walked the first 39 days alone to Conques and averaged 30 kms per day and then with fellow like minded pilgrims for the last 49 days and averaged 29 kms per day. I don't recommend these distances but they worked for me.

Great friendships were made with pilgrims from France, Belgium, Japan and Brazil...in communication with these folks post Camino.

One aspect which cannot be overlooked is the non physical or mental aspect of such a long walk that you are undertaking. Walking day after day long distances is in my mind tougher mentally than the physical challenge. I suppose others around me would say I am somewhat determined and possibly stubborn. That held me in good stead on my walk.

Whatever you choose to do...enjoy...it is an incredible experience...and stay flexible in your plans and thinking. I was certainly lucky to have undertaken this long walk.

Cheers

Guy

Hi everyone!

Best wishes!
Hi Caminovida, I have been reflecting on you schedule and personally I think that it is too tight. Ridiculous to put so much pressure on yourself. I am now a pretty experienced walker and have clocked up close to 5000 km on pilgrim routes. I am quite fit for a 59 year old and keep up with a lot of younger people. I have seen a lot of young and fit people overdoing it and then ending up completing their journey on the same day as me, as they have had to take days off to heal infected blisters and injuries of various sorts.
It does not seem realistic to go above an average of 20 km per day and over such a long distance you should allow for the odd rest day to deal with tummy bugs, colds, blisters and other unexpected occurrences or just simply to catch your breath, clean up your gear, smell the roses etc.
So for the Via Gebenennsis 18 days are ok, then have a day in Le Puy to recoup.
Via Podiensis, I would allow 36 days plus detour of 6 days plus rest days x 3.
Camino Frances I would allow 36 days plus Muxia Finesterre 7 days plus rest days x 3.
This is a minimum I would think.
It is not about storming through the countryside to get there....even at an average of 20 km per day I feel like I am rushing through sometimes.
Have a wonderful time planning. Gitti

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Caminovida,
What time of year are you planning on walking? Season is a critical factor for me so March, April to 1st week of May then Oct through Nov are the months I walk-with the climatic beauty and challenges those months bring. These are also the more solitary months and that brings me to Guys point about the mental aspects of a long solo pilgrimage. How good are your languages? The ability to have a casual chat with locals and other pilgrims, as well as gather information and make arrangements, makes such a big difference to one's journey. I think Guy is pretty fluent-(sorry for not sparing your blushes Guy)-and that's a factor when facing down moments of loneliness. If you do fall into a bit of a fug and the path is empty then perhaps break away and head down-or up-or sideways-to catch some 'big city action' (ok this may be watching the postal delivery whilst supping a glass of radler your only company being the landlady and the village cat but it does the trick!) I was surprised at how strong previously unknown internal 'rules' I had about not going 'off route', staying on a rigid schedule or making 'frivolous' diversions of my own choice were and these took some time and effort to modify.
As I get older and a little slower being alone for long stretches is now more of a blessing than a challenge-but perhaps that's a function of age?
As for you schedule it makes me breathless just to read it Caminovida! Of course your plan is your plan and it's a vital launch pad for your pilgrimage- but the trajectory of your actual journey may shift and "suffer a sea change into something rich and strange".
Enjoy the planning and savour all that follows. N

Hello from Santiago!
My room mate last night walked from Le Puy in 50 days. He might have had some rest days but I did not ask so I don't know that.
He is a middle aged man, in good health and have no blisters.
We all walk our Camino the way that suites us.

Camino-vida, anything is possible. What I experienced on my Camino (St. Jean/Finisterre) was that by the time we arrived in Santiago I was TIRED. Then add in a jaunt to Finisterre and I was REALLY tired. It's the cumulative affect of all those miles. Individual days are doable, but add them together and it's another story. I think I'd still attempt it if I were you, but try to throw in a real rest day here and there and definitely keep an open mind about possibly altering the plan.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The best way to calculate is simple- average of 22 km per day for a good hiker, one day of rest every 8 days. Calculate the distance and devide it by 22.
If you think you can do 25 a day correct your calculations.
For this lengtj I would add 5% extra days , S**t does happen. It would be very disappointing if you find yourself short of walking days in the Meseta and will have to take the train ahead to get on time.
For example - from Pamplona to Santiago 760 km which means 30 days for 25 a day 0r 35 days for 22 a day without rest days , at least.

I notice @camino_vida20 that you originally planned to do this walk last year, in 2013, between May and September, and that it is your first Camino. Presumably something happened to disrupt your plans - you are already a year and a half behind schedule! Life and the Camino are like that - so why not relax and enjoy the journey?

This is a very interesting thread. I'm considering walking next fall from Le Puy to Santiago perhaps by the Norte/Primitivo option to celebrate my 60th birthday. Still thinking about route options and very open to ideas and suggestions. Having walked the Frances with my spouse in 35 stages last fall and then the Plata/Finsterra on my own this spring in 36 stages I've come to learn, perhaps as clearly all who have posted here, that everyone has their tolerances and walking style. For some a 20 km average is very comfortable, for others 30+ kms works just fine. I finished the Frances tired, but completed the Plata/Fisterra not tired at all and very much able to have continued onwards...except I ran out of trail and had a ticket home:) In both cases I was fit prior to departure and well prepared. On reflection, I think the primary differences were the pace and how I fueled myself each day. On the Frances I walked a slower pace to stay with my wife who suffered a painful foot injury that plagued her for weeks...not a problem, we wanted to walk together. On the Plata I had only myself to consider and found my preferred walking rhythm, plus I ate better each morning than I had generally done on the Frances. Certainly there are many factors that can and will impact any plan, so I agree, having some slush days available makes great sense and allows the freedom to stop when you want and to enjoy many of the wonderful experiences to be had along every route. As indicated by others, it is very much a mental process in addition to the obvious physicality. I met folks who abandoned the Plata not because of injury, but because they weren't mentally prepared for the long stages and isolation on the daily route and sometimes the isolation at the end of the day when they found that they couldn't communicate adequately with the Germans, French and Italians in the albergues.

Camino_vida20...I would say to you, only you know why you are walking, what pulls you to walk this route and what you are all about. After your walk you will probably know yourself much better and you will have found out what you can and can't manage. Simply prepare yourself and go...you will make the necessary adjustments as and when required. Certainly you will have few if any regrets! Best wishes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Kitsambler, thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it! Yes, competitive athletics, daily exercise, trim, lean, muscular, and yes I have gone for 10 miles regularly with ease.

The mountains from Geneva make the crossover from France to Spain look kids stuff.
The Aubrac is a lot longer than St JpDP to Ronscavalles by a 100km.
The terrain from Le Puy is more severe than Frances.

My kids came back recently and told of untold pilgrims with shin soreness , not blisters...is this the rushing approach?

The towns/villages in France are very different from Spain with their opening hours / days .

Take your time and enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery available.
If you have to miss a section nobody on this forum will think less , only admiration.
But mate the damage is normally done early [ how much in the pack]........then a sprain could come later.....then rain might occur for a week somewhere along the way..........
then you might meet a lovely trim , muscular french girl who walks slow .........lol

Go out and enjoy the walk Camino Vida and i hope you are not a girl....if you are replace french girl with french boy in above paragraph.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back