• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geneva to Arles

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We're in the planning stages for a walk from Geneva to Arles.

In 2018, we walked the Gebennensis, so we're looking at something different.

We intend to walk from Geneva to Lyon (red line in the map), then follow the Via Rhodana to Arles (blue line).

We were wondering if any Forum member had experienced either of these walks, and if so, would be willing to share their experience.

We have ordered the relevant guide books from the Association Rhône-Alpes, and we're eagerly waiting for them.

As we're slow walkers, we're looking at stages allowing us to walk an average of 15 to 20km a day.

Thank you!
Bon chemin !

Screenshot_20220412-145124.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Only Gebenensis experience here, but I used the guide from Assoc Rhone-Alp (as you have ordered) and the Iphigenie app for map way-marking. Since that route has fewer walkers than even the Gebenensis, you are wise to plan ahead for stages. Remember that it is often possible to arrange as follows: Stay Night 1 in X, walk to Y, where gite owner picks you up or perhaps taxi, returns you to X for Night 2, then next morning drives you back to Y where you begin walking to Z.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Remember that it is often possible to arrange as follows: Stay Night 1 in X, walk to Y, where gite owner picks you up or perhaps taxi, returns you to X for Night 2, then next morning drives you back to Y where you begin walking to Z.
Thank you @Kitsambler . In 2018, we didn't need to do that arrangement on the Gebennensis, but I did do a lot of planning ahead, as my wife was recovering from cancer and we needed certainty for accommodation.

Since that route has fewer walkers than even the Gebenensis, you are wise to plan ahead for stages.
Definitely! And my initial assessment, while waiting for the red and blue guides, is that we'll need to rely on 'accueils jacquaires', as accommodation between Geneva and Lyon is not abundant. Also walking 30+ km days is definitely not an option. Unless I walk without my darling, which I don't want to do ☺️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We intend to walk from Geneva to Lyon (red line in the map), then follow the Via Rhodana to Arles (blue line).

We were wondering if any Forum member had experienced either of these walks, and if so, would be willing to share their experience.

We have ordered the relevant guide books from the Association Rhône-Alpes, and we're eagerly waiting for them.

As we're slow walkers, we're looking at stages allowing us to walk an average of 15 to 20km a day.

Thank you!
Bon chemin !

View attachment 122541
Sounds fabulous and I am extremely interested in what you will experience. I am a fan of shortish stages too.
I have walked the Gebennensis and Robert Louis Stevenson trail. Wonderful part of France.
Have you come across the website Walking in France? An Australian couple have walked extensively all over.

Thank you!
Bon chemin !

View attachment 122541
Might be some overlaps.
I will be very interested in your adventure.

All the best! Gitti

I'm not sure if this helps. We walked the Le Puy to Arles in 2018 and it was one of the best caminos. The Regordan GR700. Started early May, slightly early for the walking session, and we encountered a few days of rain but no snow on the high plains. I think if you cut down from Lyon it may not have the same infrastructure. You could take the train to Le Puy and then do it. The only issue is there are two needless loops one of which doesn't work well from a logistics perspective. But these are easily seen on the map.

Have you come across the website Walking in France? An Australian couple have walked extensively all over.
Thank you @gittiharre . I hadn't seen this website before. I see that they walked from Geneva to Nantua in 2017, so I'll check this out.
Merci !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Such great news, AJ! After all your work on the planning stages we did while in covid confinement, I am sure you will have no trouble mapping out a perfect slow pace Chemin. Very happy to hear this news, buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie! I had plenty of help when mapping the VdlP ☺️, and I have no doubts it will all bear fruits in the coming years! 🙏👣👣

We walked the Le Puy to Arles in 2018 and it was one of the best caminos.
Thank you @snale .
La Régordane is one of the walks on my - long - list of walks, and I was thinking of combining it with the Via Cluniacensis, walking from Cluny to Le Puy. We would then walk the Voie d'Arles to SJPdP.
This year we're walking from where my darling was born, and we don't have as much time, as we're leaving later in the year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definitely! And my initial assessment, while waiting for the red and blue guides, is that we'll need to rely on 'accueils jacquaires', as accommodation between Geneva and Lyon ☺️
Actually, on that stretch you should be okay. See my history details below. Also, my experience with the accueils is that they are well off the track, so using a map app of some sort to regain the track is very useful (might involve the third leg of the triangle). https://kitsambler.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/14-jul-2017-geneva-to-archamps/

Actually, on that stretch you should be okay. See my history details below. Also, my experience with the accueils is that they are well off the track, so using a map app of some sort to regain the track is very useful (might involve the third leg of the triangle). https://kitsambler.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/14-jul-2017-geneva-to-archamps/
We also stayed in Archamps in 2018.
For our forthcoming walk, we'll be leaving Geneva directly to the West, not to the South.
We'll probably use public transport out of Geneva to Bernex, and then we'll start walking from there. Walking through the suburbs of Geneva to the West doesn't appeal to us.

Thank you!
Bon chemin !

View attachment 122541
Hi, my wife and I are planning a similar walk but - walking from Geneva to Gillonnay to Arles and then across to SdC. We have the yellow and blue books from the association and have planned stages per below. We have allowed some stages over 30kms but with a bit of research you would be able to shorten the distances. We also use Locus Maps in Hike mode, it is a good navigation tool that tends to keep you away from roads to help shorten days. We love the quieter ways! Bon Chemin!

1663542910526.jpeg
1663543491046.png

Attachments

• 1663543269810.png
    1663543269810.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 23
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fun! When do you plan to go? I am dreaming up a trip next Spring. I walked from Geneva to Faramans as our trip was cut short due to Covid. The Accueils Jacquaires are what make France unique. What are Locus Maps?

Fun! When do you plan to go? I am dreaming up a trip next Spring. I walked from Geneva to Faramans as our trip was cut short due to Covid. The Accueils Jacquaires are what make France unique. What are Locus Maps?
G'day Suzanne,

Yes, we love walking France for their Gites and Accueills Jacuaires and Parochial accommodation. My wife reckons I find food and wine trails to walk ;-)

The dates are on the spreadsheet excerpt - starting mid April 2023. Locus Maps is an Android / Iphone (?) application that describes itself as a multifunctional outdoor navigation tool. It has multiple modes including hiking. We have found the hike mode to very useful on some walks. For example, in 2019 we walked the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome which is a lesser used (and resourced) route before Italy. I think Sigeric (whose journey the VF is based on) wandered all over the place and it was very helpful to reduce >35km days to <30km without using roads.

Hope this helps. Bon Chemin!

Thank you!
Bon chemin !

View attachment 122541
Hello
We were wondering if you completed this in 2022? If so what were your reflections?
We are similar slow walkers and did the Via Francigena from Besancon to Rome late last year and are now looking/dreaming for another walk...
Cheers
Neil & Anne from Australia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Neil and Annie,

We didn't walk that Camino in 2022. Circumstances led us to walk the Camino Mozárabe, as our youngest son and his family have moved to Málaga.
I have planning notes for the walk from Lyon to Arles, and I recall that I had no major issues with keeping our stages short.
As you would be walking along the Rhône river, most of the walk is flat.

Cheers
Andrew

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back