Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Geneva to Le Puy blogs?

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
This seems the best place to post this.... I am wondering if anyone knows of some blogs of the route from Geneva to Le Puy. Am vaguely thinking of walking this in 2015, and would like to know more. I have read Gitti's and Robert's blogs- and plan to revisit them both over coming months- but I wonder if anyone knows of other accounts as well.
Yes, it is quite a while away- but I have seen the altitude profiles and they look quite up and down in places- even more so than the Cluny route. I figure that the sooner I start dreaming and planning, the sooner I will get out there to improve my fitness ready for it!

I am also interested in doing the Rocamadour variant from Figeac, and possibly the Cele Valley as well, if anyone has seen blog accounts about those.
Margaret

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

newfydog

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
Sorry, I'm not much of a blogger. We biked it a few years ago, with a few detours to avoid the unbikeable sections. It was fine, some nice areas, and the best apples in the world in the Rhone valley. It is a very artificial route, with little historical basis or ancient villages, so it is not high on our list.

We picked up the FFRP guide in a Geneva bookstore, and it had a page on how the route doesn't follow true pilgrims trails, but it follows a route which more closely resembles today like what the original routes were like, rather than a trail which may be geographically correct, but has an autoroute down it. Valid point.

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Yes, I have heard it isn't very historical, but the scenery looks superb. I wonder how I will find it compared to the Cluny route which was very much full of places of historical interest.
Margaret

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Thanks Kits- that looks great- will give me more ideas about the route. Gosh- such a big crowd at the first gite. Wasn't expecting that!
Margaret

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Hi Margaet, the Geneva route is really nice, I do recommend the Robert Louis Stevenson trail to follow on, I am just off to walk the Swiss route from Rorschach to Romont and then up to Bale via the Jura Three Lake Distrist will do the email thing and then may be put it on a blog. Keep in touch, Gitti

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Margaret the up and down stuff was not really a big deal, I am middle aged and not that fit and I managed just fine, the hardest for me was the Frances, which was my first bigs walk. Gitti

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
The Cluny route had its share of big ups and downs, but I have seen the altitude profiles from Geneva and they look worse! I walked quite a bit of the Manawatu Gorge today- a good place to regain some fitness.
Margaret

norelle

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
Have you seen thewayofmichaelv.blogspot ?? I'm not sure how to post the direct link.

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Thank you Norelle, I hadn't seen this one. Have bookmarked it.
Margaret

2022 Camino Guides
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

sunsurf

Past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Figeac(2012)
Rocamadour to Condom(2013)
Cluny to Le Puy (partially)(2014)
Mont St Michel to Nantes(2016)
Hi Margaret, I am not a blogger and have not walked from Geneva, but I had such a wonderful time on the Rocamadour route that I would like to share it with you! I walked from Rocamadour to Cahors and then onwards on the GR65. The Rocamadour route joins the Cele route at Bears (just after Vers). So actually I walked 2 days on part of the Rocamadour route and the 3rd day on part of the Cele route. The Rocamadour route is up and down, but it seemed like fewer, longer ups and downs as the GR65 between Le Puy and Conques, but not difficult at all.
My description of the Rocamadour route is that is is an off piste route and stunningly beautiful. It was the best part of my walk. I started on the 22nd of June and as it is known from this forum that June is the most quiet month of summer, it maybe explains why I did not meet a single pilgrim during those 2 days on the Rocamadour route - not on the road or at the gites. However, the single day I walked the Cele route I encountered a few pilgrims.
I plan to go back and walk a circle route - start in Figeac, walk to Rocamadour, walk to Bears, then walk the Cele route "against the way" to Figeac. That is how much I loved the Rocamadour route!
In Montfaucon I stayed at Le Clos des Roses - wonderful people and food!!!
Enjoy planning - to me it is a part of the trip that is nearly as good as the trip itself! Dolfina

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads