• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geneva to Le Puy

Sanman

Walking for Nature
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, Francis, Portugal, Norte, West Highland W,
Well our T-8 weeks and counting in 2020 became T-2 years...but we are re-scheduling our walk for April 2022.

Planning to walk from Geneva now (used to be Cluny) to Le Puy and then Le Puy to SJPP.

Interested to hear from anyone (again!) that has walked this route - scenery, elevation, weather, how many days are reasonable (in our 60's like to walk 20-25km per day), where you might take a rest day etc. Any feedback welcome.

So excited to be "planning" our walk again...but will spend the next few months trying to get our refund or booking from the planes, trains and taxi's we have booked in getting us there in 2020

Going to be wonderful out walking in nature without a mask (I'm now double vaxed)...my new joke is "I didn't recognize you with your mask off!"

Hope all fellow walkers have managed ok during the lock down and I'll see you on the trail or at an outdoor terrace having a cool one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sanman
I have attached a flyer guide rouge 2021 .
This red guide lists all the stages and accomodation available on the way from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay.It is available from the Association Rhone / Alpes Les Amis de St Jacques de Compostelle at a cost of 10 euros plus postage.
The volunteers from this association were and are responsible for the waymarking along this route.
I have walked this way twice and it is a beautiful route.I hope this information is helpful.Bon chemin.

Attachments

• flyer guide rouge 2021 (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
Bon Chemin @Sanman! I have not walked from Geneva to Le Puy, but I am quite fond of the route from Le Puy to SJPdP. There is a lot of information on this blog with regards to expectations about walking in France, specifically walking from Le Puy (so I will not revisit their well-articulate points). The only thing I'd like to add: Miam Miam DoDo books are the best for walking in France, even if you don't know the language. There are apps, if you prefer. As I recall, I preferred their maps over the app. As well, information about walking in France is prolific if you use the right language: you'll be walking the GR65, The Way of Geneva, or Via Gebennensis. Use that and your google searches will provide a lot more information. Ilovewalkinginfrance.com and walkinginfrance.info are also good places to start for alternatives to the standard books sold via local bookstores. I used the ILOVEWALKINGINFRANCE book for the LePuy route and found it more useful than the book I bought on Amazon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sanman
I have attached a flyer guide rouge 2021 .
This red guide lists all the stages and accomodation available on the way from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay.It is available from the Association Rhone / Alpes Les Amis de St Jacques de Compostelle at a cost of 10 euros plus postage.
The volunteers from this association were and are responsible for the waymarking along this route.
I have walked this way twice and it is a beautiful route.I hope this information is helpful.Bon chemin.
Thank you so much, i will review in detail and study up on my French.
Really appreciate you taking the time to help.
Kind regards,
Sandy

Bon Chemin @Sanman! I have not walked from Geneva to Le Puy, but I am quite fond of the route from Le Puy to SJPdP. There is a lot of information on this blog with regards to expectations about walking in France, specifically walking from Le Puy (so I will not revisit their well-articulate points). The only thing I'd like to add: Miam Miam DoDo books are the best for walking in France, even if you don't know the language. There are apps, if you prefer. As I recall, I preferred their maps over the app. As well, information about walking in France is prolific if you use the right language: you'll be walking the GR65, The Way of Geneva, or Via Gebennensis. Use that and your google searches will provide a lot more information. Ilovewalkinginfrance.com and walkinginfrance.info are also good places to start for alternatives to the standard books sold via local bookstores. I used the ILOVEWALKINGINFRANCE book for the LePuy route and found it more useful than the book I bought on Amazon.
Thx very much Suzzane.
Fortunately i have passable French, will finally come in handy 35 years after talking it in school
Thx for all the insights I will check them out
Buen Camino !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have written a few times about my Le Puy to Santiago camino. Loved the route from Le Puy and love France. Didn't have Miam Miam DoDo last time but I am thinking of doing it again one day and will definitely have it next time. I know it is in app form now also. What information did you get from the two books you referenced? Are they related to the camino or are they more about general information of towns, villages, history etc. Just wondering.

How expensive is that camino and is there good pilgrim infastructure? I will definitely check out your biog. Thanks
I found the prices were about the same as the rest of France I walked (Le Puy to St Jean). I didn't linger in Geneva though, THAT was expensive! Luckily the French border is very close to Geneva (around 8km or so). The pilgrim infrastructure was pretty good. Lots of the usual Gites, but also many pilgrim only Gites and refreshment stops for donation. Plus, there is a network of locals that take in pilgrims for the night on this route, usually ex pilgrims themselves. They are listed in the 'Yellow Guide'. Waymarking is excellent too.

Fully recommend this route!
Davey

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well our T-8 weeks and counting in 2020 became T-2 years...but we are re-scheduling our walk for April 2022.

Planning to walk from Geneva now (used to be Cluny) to Le Puy and then Le Puy to SJPP.

Interested to hear from anyone (again!) that has walked this route - scenery, elevation, weather, how many days are reasonable (in our 60's like to walk 20-25km per day), where you might take a rest day etc. Any feedback welcome.

So excited to be "planning" our walk again...but will spend the next few months trying to get our refund or booking from the planes, trains and taxi's we have booked in getting us there in 2020

Going to be wonderful out walking in nature without a mask (I'm now double vaxed)...my new joke is "I didn't recognize you with your mask off!"

Hope all fellow walkers have managed ok during the lock down and I'll see you on the trail or at an outdoor terrace having a cool one.
Hi Sanman, we had a similar situation with planning to walk Geneva - SJPdP in 2020, now reset for April 2022. We arrive Paris 22 March, I am running the Paris International Marathon 2 April then we plan to take a train to Geneva to start the Walk 3/4 April. We have changed our original plan to take in some of the variants on the way to SDPdP and then continue on The Francès to meet up with the Aragonès down to the Col de Somport and onto the Voie d'Arles towards Montpellier. When do you plan to be in Geneva? Would be fun to catch up there or on the Way. Cheers, Janette and Alan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I will be starting from Geneva Airport on April 26th in the morning as soon as i my flight lands.

I’ll be starting April 28th ½ way in Le Grand Lemps to complete this Camino to Le Puy. It was cut short last year due to Covid.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I have tried for some time without success to find information online about accommodation along the Via Gebennensis. The 'Online Guide' offered by this website doesn't cover this route...
Hi All I will walk from Geneva to St. Jean Pied de Port in late August. But I want to concentrate on the route from Geneva to Le Puy first. I have never walked in France; unfortunately, I do not...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back