• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geneva to Santiago '22

dmc3020

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi everyone,

Planning for a longer Camino this spring. Has anyone here done Geneva to Santiago? Want to bounce a time frame of some prior pilgrims.

I plan to walk this route in 60 days. Now, do you think that may be enough time? I plan to walk about 20 miles a day. I know that may seem overreaching a bit, but I have done such long distance journeys in the past. I also recognize this mileage factors in no rest days.

I'm mostly concerned with elevation. I know that one variable can turn a planned 30k day into a tiring 20k day quite easily. Any advice?

My plan is to shoot for higher mileage on the first half to St Jean, and then dial my mileage down a bit in Spain and walk to Santiago at a more leisurely pace.

Anythoughts? Experienced adventurer here, but new to El Camino.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
pace is relative, just follow your instinct, in fact, as days advance, you will find yourself taking longer distances, if you plan a particularly demanding day and it happens to be raining a log, shortening it might not be such a bad idea, for example.
This said, I am very jealous, I would love to do Geneva-Santiago some day! 2 months seems just about right

Hi @dmc3020 Wonderful paths. And how fortunate to be able to have the time. 😎 My husband and I are hoping to walk Geneva to Finisterre … sometime!

You know the distance involved (around 1900 kms) so you already know that, averaging 20 miles (32 kms) per day, in theory you will have just enough days to arrive in SdeC on Day 60, but with no leeway.

In terms of terrain, which may affect your daily distance, the stages from Geneva to Le Puy to Roncesvalles are on average more mountainous than the stages of the Camino Frances. By the time you reach the Frances, you may be exhausted or feeling very strong and walking on air! I suspect - and hope - the latter.

Bon chemin, Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have no doubt if you say that you can do it in 60 days. If you have the time why push it? If you can extend your pilgrimage longer. You never know who you may meet or what experience you may encounter. What town you may want to stay in. There is always a possibility of an injury no matter your conditioning or an illness. If you can't than you can't, but if you can, why not?

I have no doubt if you say that you can do it in 60 days. If you have the time why push it? If you can extend your pilgrimage longer. You never know who you may meet or what experience you may encounter. What town you may want to stay in. There is always a possibility of an injury no matter your conditioning or an illness. If you can't than you can't, but if you can, why not?
I totally agree. If you only have the 60 days it is possible. But for a walk of 1900 kms, I’d want at least a week or two up my sleeve. Our idea for the same path is to allow ourselves 3 months, knowing we may well arrive much sooner but giving ourselves the freedom to enjoy and respond to what happens along the Way, as @lt56ny says. 🙏

Hej!
I wouldn't put myself self under pressure just for the sake to walk Geneva to Santiago. You may need 50 days, maybe in 60 days or maybe you won't reach Santiago at all. We can't plan these things! I wouldn't compare my own Caminos with the following, because the given circumstances are always different!
I tried to plan less as possible. I need to be free in my mind and open for what the Camino provides.
I walked this stretch twice. Once i walked more than 3000km in one shot in 115 days.
In 2015 I was injured in le Puy and had to rest 5 days, later on I decided in SJPDP to continue the del Norte and therefore it took me 4 days extra to walk to Hendaye, you never know. It's good for my mind to have a buffer. I also walked one year Sarria - Santiago in 2 days. When you are in a good shape you can play with the distance, had days where I walked up to 65km also days with 15km. There is no guarantee.

I could go more in details....if you interested just open a private conversation.

Enjoy your time

Dennis

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,

Planning for a longer Camino this spring. Has anyone here done Geneva to Santiago? Want to bounce a time frame of some prior pilgrims.

I plan to walk this route in 60 days. Now, do you think that may be enough time? I plan to walk about 20 miles a day. I know that may seem overreaching a bit, but I have done such long distance journeys in the past. I also recognize this mileage factors in no rest days.

I'm mostly concerned with elevation. I know that one variable can turn a planned 30k day into a tiring 20k day quite easily. Any advice?

My plan is to shoot for higher mileage on the first half to St Jean, and then dial my mileage down a bit in Spain and walk to Santiago at a more leisurely pace.

Many thanks!

My advice is to build in some cushion. But that's always my advice. :)

As you say, elevation can turn a planned 30k day into a tiring 20k day quite easily. So can injury. I know I couldn't do it in 60 days. But you have done such things in the past so who am I to say you couldn't do it. Giving yourself a bit of a cushion gives you the flexibility to respond if things don't go as expected.

My worry is that if they don't, and you find that you are pushing yourself too hard, you may find that slows you down. Which puts you behind. Which means you have to push yourself even harder. and it becomes an unhealthy spiral that puts your Camino at risk. If you have some cushion, you can prevent that from happening.

One final comment is that if you are judging how far you will want to walk in a day based on experience with other, non-Camino, hikes, you may find that your preferences change on the Camino. The Camino is quite different from most long-distance wilderness hikes. Just ask the folks here who have done both. And that difference may influence how far you choose to walk each day.

Has anyone here done Geneva to Santiago? Want to bounce a time frame of some prior pilgrims.
In 2018, my wife, who was born in Switzerland, and I walked from the other side of Lake Geneva (Le Bouveret) to SdC. We followed the Gebennensis, the Podiensis, the Voie Nive-Bidassoa and the Norte with a detour to Oviedo. As we are slow walkers, we covered 2178 km in 145 days, including 12 rest days. We averaged 16 km a day, roughly 10 miles a day.

As you intend to walk the Francés, and the total distance is shorter, I believe your plan would be ok.

Our recollection is that there weren't many days with elevation in France, notable ones in our memories are the walks out of Monistrol-d'Allier, Conques and Cahors.

But for a walk of 1900 kms, I’d want at least a week or two up my sleeve.
I would totally agree. There are many days where you might wish to slow down and enjoy the scenery, and the people.

Buen Camino!

I did Basel to Le Puy in stages (weekends) last year. From Geneva you are first walking the foot hills of the Alps and crossing the southern part of the Jura mountains. Mont Sion being the first named elevation. Near yenne it is mont Tourne. South of Lyon you will cross and see the Rhone river one last time before going into the Auvergne which is hilly and mountainous again. Crossing coll de Tacor and Masife de Meygal before reaching Le Puy. In times of Corona I found it hard to find water in the Auvergne. I carried most of my water and food to save time for walking and not waste any with shopping. I also carried a tent to be able to sleep in between stages. I sometimes did a stage and a half or 2 plus because I had to get to a bus stop or a train station at the end of my weekend. I life in Switzerland and I am not too keen to be sleepimg in a dorm in times of covid even though i am vaccinated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Quite an aggressive itinerary with no rest days factored in to your agenda.
Even at a 20 km average, are you going to be able to enjoy the sights along the way?
Good luck

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice and input. Think I got the exact answers I was looking for.

For those curious, 60 days is the ballpark number of days I would like to complete this journey in. That being said, I actually have 65 or so days off from work. So if I desire a rest day, I can can somewhat easily factor one in.

I think my pace will change based on the journey. If I desire to slow down, or speed up, I will do so. My plan is to have higher mileage through France, and then when I reach St Jean, slow down to a more leisurely pelegrino-friendly pace. Would like to meet friends along the way in Spain.

From my experience with these journeys, it is best to be up well before the sun, and arrive at my destination around 1-2p.m. each day. I usually average about 10 miles in 3 hours of walking. Depending on how I feel, I think I will be able to manage my planned distances quite easily.

Will keep you all updated on my journey. Thanks again for all the input. Have read each and every comment and considered everyones advice. Looking forward to a Buen Camino!

Thank you,

dmc

Little bit of an update,

Turns out I will only have about 50-55 days available to be free of work obligations. So my itinerary has somewhat changed. Going to start in Le Puy and finish in Santiago. This actually allows me a little more flexibility with days off, and also lowers my daily mileage from 20 miles per day to 18. If able, I will perhaps walk to Fisterre.

All in Gods hands at this point. Will keep everyone updated. Looking at a May start date.

Thanks everyone!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your new itinerary sounds do-able and should provide you more time to to enjoy the sites, sounds and scents in the air around you. Enjoy!

Hi everyone,

Many thanks!

Hi I am from Switzerland and did that part in 2017 while on my way from Konstanz to SdC and down to Porto in 117 days. For the part from Geneva to over the Norte to SdC I did use 72 days. Have a look on my attachment if you like to see my daily milages. Or check me german blog. https://elcaminohike.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• Route2017_Camino_de_Santiago.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Hi I am from Switzerland and did that part in 2017 while on my way from Konstanz to SdC and down to Porto in 117 days. For the part from Geneva to over the Norte to SdC I did use 72 days. Have a look on my attachment if you like to see my daily milages. Or check me german blog. https://elcaminohike.wordpress.com/
What a lovely Spreadsheet, wish I could read German but for the most part I can figure it out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What a lovely Spreadsheet, wish I could read German but for the most part I can figure it out.
Hi Suzanna, thanks the top line of the Spreadsheet reads like:
Day, Weekday, Date, Startplace - Villages - Targetplace, Weather, Km, used time, Elev.gain, Elev.loss, Amount, RoomType (ZF, ZHP), Overnight place, estimated time, route length, overall length km
Z=Room F=Breakfast, HP-Half board oF=no breakfast DZ=Double room
Hope that will help you.

Thank you , merci. I am getting very excited about this route. I have 14 days to complete.
I see you are doing La voie d' Arles- that is on my list as well, will look forward to hearing about that trip.

Hi Suzanna, my travel to Le Muy begins Wednesday. I will start at Arles April 3rd. Before I do the three missing parts of Genova - Arles from 2018.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first day started at Arles 8am only 3°C and some Mistral. I went the way along the petit Rhône, it is aproximadamente 2 km longer, but has much more path then tarmac. We were three pilgrims at the hostel. And I did meet two groups of seven and three on the causeway. So I am not alone. As soon as I left Arles, there was no possibility to buy anything along the wayThe sun was shining and it started to warm up,
Bon Camino 😇

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for sharing. This is good data for my upcoming trip. Hope your are enjoying your current walk.

Peace,

Dylan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back