• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geneva to Santiago

Catwith9lives

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk from Geneva to Santiago from mid Apr to mid July next year. I have walked the Sentier de St Jacques (GR65) and Camino in the past, and hope to have had a Cov19 inoculation before I depart. Does anybody have any idea how many pilgrim hostels will be open en route?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Although no firm list exists of what will be we all hope for the possibility of pandemic free walking in 2021.

Do keep in mind that here in France there has been in recent years a Chain of Local (donativo) Hospitality for passing pilgrims. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way .

See more in French here

Good luck with your planning and hopefully, Buen 2021 Camino.

Last edited:
Although no firm lists exists of what will be we all hope for the possibility of pandemic free walking in 2021.
Do keep in mind that here in France there has been in recent years a Chain of Local (donastivo) Hospitality for passing pilgrims. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way .
Is there a list of such donastivo that one can contact prior to departure?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Check the hot link in my post above for more on the French list in the Aisne, Marne, Aube, and Ardennes.

Furthermore if you Google the phrase
"l'accueil pèlerins à domicile" several additional sites will appear.

During happier easier times in 2008 walking from our farmhouse on the Marne down to Vezelay I have stayed in several such spots.

Last edited:
Check the hot link in my post above for more on the French list in the Aisne, Marne, Aube, and Ardennes.

Furthermore if you Google the phrase
"l'accueil pèlerins à domicile" several additional sites will appear.

During happier easier times in 2008 walking from our farmhouse on the Marne down to Vezelay I have stayed in several such spots.
May I add if you want to view with english txt to open it in google chrome whic automatically translates to english

No one knows anything for sure as circumstances are changing daily but we all hope by sometime next year life will begin to return to "normal".
I would just add to Margaret's email that my experience, more in France than Spain, was that Tourist offices usually had a list of homes which took in pilgrims and even when none on the list were either home or available they would contact some one who could take you in. I even had a vehicle drive up on several occasions asking if I needed accommodation for the night.
It's a beautiful walk through lovely country among generous people.
bon chemin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning to walk from Geneva to Santiago from mid Apr to mid July next year. I have walked the Sentier de St Jacques (GR65) and Camino in the past, and hope to have had a Cov19 inoculation before I depart. Does anybody have any idea how many pilgrim hostels will be open en route?
If you get to walk I am sure I am not the only one who would follow your pilgrimage if you saw fit to write about it. Love to hear about people's experiences, what the daily camino was like in terms of sights and difficulty and for me as I am a budget pilgrim what costs for food and lodging are. I am planning to do the VDLP as soon as I can and then continue doing alot less traveled pilgrimages. The popular caminos have wonderful aspects to them but there are just way too many people for me.

Does anybody have any idea how many pilgrim hostels will be open en route?

As well as the reference given by @mspath above, you may care to look at the Miam Miam Dodo website. The most relevant for you is that from Le Puy to Roncevaux. This will at least give you contact points, although they can get out of date quite quickly.

MMD also have an Android app. While it gets some very favourable rates there is also a very equal number of dismal rates. I'm just guessing the latter may be caused by not downloading when at home so you can use the app when "offline" on Massif Centrale, for example

Others may have more recent experiences.

Kia kaha (be strong, take care, get going when you can)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bonjour @Catwith9lives

.... No, sorry, nobody knows how many pilgrim hostals will be opened in France next April to July. However, there are other places to sleep if one has a strong enough constitution. All one needs is the courage to ask and keep on searching, to walk a little further than desired, then knock on every door until there is a welcome. The alternative is to carry a tent, a mat + sleeping bag. Avoiding others is not such a bad thing in these COVID-19 times.

This summer (July, 2020) I hitched a ride to the French/Swiss frontier and set off along la voie de Genève (GR65). My starting point was Neyden, aiming for Saint Gilles du Gard (nr Arles), then Albi (le Tarn) and on to Girone (Spain). I got as far as Albi before needing to make a detour. Before I could get going again the second wave of COVID-19 was upon us.

Most days I would set off at first light walking through the cool of the day into the frying heat of a late afternoon sun (30° - 42° Celsius). Then I would set about finding somewhere to sleep - a bed, a couch or a humble floor in whichever village I happened to stumble. Preferring to make enquiries face to face, I walked without internet connection: I introduced myself to the local authorities; I visited cafés and commercial enterprises and occasionally made music in the streets -greeting everyone who was out and about.

And so, I slept….in a bed; on a camp stretcher; on couches + cushions + mattresses; in a tent and a teepee and more than once on a length of cardboard tossed on an old linoleum floor. French folk are wonderfully kind!

Then I arrived in Le Puy-en-Velay. It was the week of les Fêtes de l’Assomption de la Vierge Marie (14 + 15 August). Although celebrations had been cancelled due to Covid, tourists and pilgrims still flocked. Certain streets were packed with holiday makers. Accommodation was fully booked. There wasn’t a bed to spare at the gîtes for pilgrims nor in other places within my means. I enquired at la mairie and la gendarmerie without success then talked with a Sister who just happened to be in the street helping an elderly gentleman. He took me home.

The walk was solitary. Between Neyden and Roquefort d’Agen where I eventually ground to a halt, I rarely met another pilgrim.

I walked without mobile phone or route-finding gadgets. From Neyden to Le Puy i carried a Topo Guide (GR65) and the Jaune Guide 2019 which has accommodation and service suggestions (many places were closed).

Happy planning!
Lovingkindness

ps There are others on the forum who have shared an account of their adventures along le voie de Genève, for example, @Aurigny, @Davey Boyd, @carolus @gittiharre and @Kitsambler. You will find their stories and lots of information here: Geneva to LePuy | Camino de Santiago Forum.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 34_831430002_001.jpg
    34_831430002_001.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 0002153_sentier-vers-saint-jacques-de-compostelle-geneve-le-puy-gr65_600.jpeg
    0002153_sentier-vers-saint-jacques-de-compostelle-geneve-le-puy-gr65_600.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I have tried for some time without success to find information online about accommodation along the Via Gebennensis. The 'Online Guide' offered by this website doesn't cover this route...
Hi All I will walk from Geneva to St. Jean Pied de Port in late August. But I want to concentrate on the route from Geneva to Le Puy first. I have never walked in France; unfortunately, I do not...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.