• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geneva to SJPDP

Marky1965

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo in September 2022
Hi

Am I being overly ambitious?
Since seeing this route it has captured my attention & I see it as my next challenge after my current one.
My question is,
From those that have done it, how did you find it? How long did it take? Daily cost on average.
I am thinking September 2023 at this stage.

Are there any good books to recommend?

Cheers in advance

Mark

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No, you're not 😊

My wife and I walked from the other end of Lake Geneva to SJPdP (and further) in 2018.

We loved it!

We're slow walkers, so you would possibly take less time than we did: we walked 64 days from Geneva.

We stayed in chambres d'hôtes, so cost would be lower if you stay in gîtes.

We used the yellow guide for the bit between Geneva and Le Puy-en-Velay:

and the Miam Miam Dodo guide for the rest.
We didn't walk the Célé route, and I believe it is very nice.

Bon chemin !

No, you're not 😊

My wife and I walked from the other end of Lake Geneva to SJPdP (and further) in 2018.

We loved it!

We're slow walkers, so you would possibly take less time than we did: we walked 64 days from Geneva.

We stayed in chambres d'hôtes, so cost would be lower if you stay in gîtes.

We used the yellow guide for the bit between Geneva and Le Puy-en-Velay:

and the Miam Miam Dodo guide for the rest.
We didn't walk the Célé route, and I believe it is very nice.

Bon chemin !
Thank you 👍😁

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Roughly 670 km? No, I don’t think it’s overly ambitious at all Mark, if you’re fit and have no injuries and if you have time on your side. It’s a walk, not a run. If that’s what you want to do, why not? You’re young, if “65” is the year you were born. Mate, I wish! I’d do it with my eyes closed, and I’m not a 65er. And if you have a walking partner, all the better. You’ll be singing and whistling most of the way. Beats sitting at home reading about it or, worse still, sitting at home and watching TV. Let us know how you go; I may well follow in your footsteps.
Go for it.
Happy hiking.

Roughly 670 km? No, I don’t think it’s overly ambitious at all Mark, if you’re fit and have no injuries and if you have time on your side. It’s a walk, not a run. If that’s what you want to do, why not? You’re young, if “65” is the year you were born. Mate, I wish! I’d do it with my eyes closed, and I’m not a 65er. And if you have a walking partner, all the better. You’ll be singing and whistling most of the way. Beats sitting at home reading about it or, worse still, sitting at home and watching TV. Let us know how you go; I may well follow in your footsteps.
Go for it.
Happy hiking.
According to a gps track I just found, it’s 1091km…. Should be good 😎

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi

Since seeing this route it has captured my attention & I see it as my next challenge after my current one.
My question is,
From those that have done it, how did you find it? How long did it take? Daily cost on average.

Cheers in advance

Mark
My partner and I did it in three stages (due to him still working) and it was lovely. The yellow guide for the 1st part of the walk was great - you stay with people who actually live in the places, eat a good meal and get a good nights' sleep. It is 'donative' and we set 40€ as a nightly tarif. Unless it has changed, you will not meet too many people on the first stretch and enough to join a 'camino family' on the next (from Le Puy). check out our website if you want an idea of how it was https://www.carrick.ch/jakobsweg
We have only just completed the last stage (due to Covid) the trip from Moissac is not there yet. hope this helps. (p.s. - I'm 70, so it's definitely doable for someone your age!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Go for it! I walked these two routes in Fall 2013…memorable! You might want to take a quick peek at my blog www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.com for some info.

Via Gebennensis from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay I walked in 13 days (was walking quite strongly)…see blog entries Days 19-31 Via Gebennensis for day to day pictures, places stayed etc. I have had the good fortune of walking 6 different Camino routes and for some reason Via Gebennensis stands out as a favourite…a gem!

Rest day blog in Le Puy en Velay

Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay to St Jean Pied de Port I walked in 27 days (again was walking strongly with fellow pilgrims who pulled me along 🤣). See blog entries Days 32 - 58 Via Podiensis for similar information.

If I was to return to walk these again I would surely add a few days extra 😂

Have fun planning…Buen Camino!

Guy

Go for it! I walked these two routes in Fall 2013…memorable! You might want to take a quick peek at my blog www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.com for some info.

Via Gebennensis from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay I walked in 13 days (was walking quite strongly)…see blog entries Days 19-31 Via Gebennensis for day to day pictures, places stayed etc. I have had the good fortune of walking 6 different Camino routes and for some reason Via Gebennensis stands out as a favourite…a gem!

Rest day blog in Le Puy en Velay

Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay to St Jean Pied de Port I walked in 27 days (again was walking strongly with fellow pilgrims who pulled me along 🤣). See blog entries Days 32 - 58 Via Podiensis for similar information.

If I was to return to walk these again I would surely add a few days extra 😂

Have fun planning…Buen Camino!

Guy
Thanks Guy , that’s great. I will definately check out your blog.
Thanks again 👍👍

My partner and I did it in three stages (due to him still working) and it was lovely. The yellow guide for the 1st part of the walk was great - you stay with people who actually live in the places, eat a good meal and get a good nights' sleep. It is 'donative' and we set 40€ as a nightly tarif. Unless it has changed, you will not meet too many people on the first stretch and enough to join a 'camino family' on the next (from Le Puy). check out our website if you want an idea of how it was https://www.carrick.ch/jakobsweg
We have only just completed the last stage (due to Covid) the trip from Moissac is not there yet. hope this helps. (p.s. - I'm 70, so it's definitely doable for someone your age!)
Sounds great. Thank you for the info & I will check out your link. 😁😁

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Mark

No i did not make it from Geneva .
But I experienced the Frances 2021 and I am already longing for the Portuguese

What I can share is an excellent bloggers documentary , for you unfortunately in german languages, who went from East Switzerland to Santiago. Passing Geneva , LePuy .....

give it a try

Siegfried

At my own pace (15-18 km/day), the leg from Geneva was about 3 weeks; Le Puy to Cahors 3 weeks, and Cahors to SJPP 3 weeks again. Lodging on the Geneva section can be scarce as you are competing with tourists (not with other pilgrims), so reserving a day or two in advance (which you'd want to do anyhow for demi-pension or accuil jacues homestays) is a great idea.
Details here: https://kitsambler.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/packed-and-ready-2017/

At my own pace (15-18 km/day), the leg from Geneva was about 3 weeks; Le Puy to Cahors 3 weeks, and Cahors to SJPP 3 weeks again. Lodging on the Geneva section can be scarce as you are competing with tourists (not with other pilgrims), so reserving a day or two in advance (which you'd want to do anyhow for demi-pension or accuil jacues homestays) is a great idea.
Details here: https://kitsambler.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/packed-and-ready-2017/
Thank you very much for that information 👍👍

@Kitsambler, I have so enjoyed your reports!
Warning: a lenghty text, a question in the end. About reservations and lodging. I followed a few conversations/ blogs last summer (2021) and sure enough, because of Covid19, finding lodging was obviously not that easy. Thus I am going to take a tent! In 2018 I left off a day before Lausanne and I now plan to continue from there later this month. I reserved a camping place in Lausanne and a hostel in Geneve. Now finally to the point: reserving a place for a tent in Switzerland was quite an ordeal, the reservation needed to be done to the smallest detail and a scanned ID was required. Now my question to those who have carried a tent in France. Does anyone know, did you always book ahead? And if so, did you make a phone call or write an E-mail. I'm horrified of the thought of trying to speak French on the phone.

Now my question to those who have carried a tent in France. Does anyone know, did you always book ahead? And if so, did you make a phone call or write an E-mail. I'm horrified of the thought of trying to speak French on the phone.
While I haven't, I have observed others. There are quite a few campgrounds along the route (all listed in the MMD and Yellow Book), and booking seemed to be much the same as for gites et al. In Switzerland, there is particular demand for camping space due to the extremely high hotel prices, and this market pressure doesn't exist in rural France. I personally have reserved ahead both by email and by phone. For email, I exploited a friendly retired French professor. For phone, I elicited help from my lodging host or another pilgrim. Make an effort with your French; once the locals discover their bad English is better than your bad French, they will shift to English. The translation phone apps have gotten quite good and are very useful as well.

But back to the Lausanne-Geneva topic. I took a train. Brigitte also took a train. In medieval times, they would have taken a boat (it's a lake, for heaven's sake). There's not readily available and reasonably priced lodging on that section.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Live update from Via Gebennensis. The gîte d’étapes are open again. The price we have been paying has been between 12-15 € for the bed (breakfast extra, and not always available) Finding lodging hasn’t been a problem. Last night we slept in a tent in Seyssel, but that was our own choice. We have met quite a few pilgrims. Nobody has wanted to see the covid19 certificates and masks are not required. Mind you, I don’t know about airports. We came by car from Germany and then walked over from Switzerland (in both countries all the corona measures are also dropped). There is an uplifting and grateful atmosphere. Walking the Camino after pandemic and while there’s a war in Europe makes you really really appreciate the privilege of walking through the beauty of nature and countryside.
4FDA7926-326C-4379-BA29-CE8C87445D13.jpeg

Live update from Via Gebennensis. The gîte d’étapes are open again. The price we have been paying has been between 12-15 € for the bed (breakfast extra, and not always available) Finding lodging hasn’t been a problem. Last night we slept in a tent in Seyssel, but that was our own choice. We have met quite a few pilgrims. Nobody has wanted to see the covid19 certificates and masks are not required. Mind you, I don’t know about airports. We came by car from Germany and then walked over from Switzerland (in both countries all the corona measures are also dropped). There is an uplifting and grateful atmosphere. Walking the Camino after pandemic and while there’s a war in Europe makes you really really appreciate the privilege of walking through the beauty of nature and countryside.
View attachment 125930
Reija,
Thank you for your update and beautiful photo. Is that Seyssel?
Your final sentence is very poignant. May all of us who are alive now and in safety "really really appreciate the priviledge".

Last edited:
View attachment 125930
Hi!
I'm from Brazil and in 2023 my wife and I intend to travel from Geneva to Santiago. I would like to know if you who are on the road now, have you seen people camping? We really want to do the stretch between Geneva and Saint Jean Pied de Port with a tent as many times as we can.
What do you say?
Thank you very much and may you have a Buen Camino!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!
I'm from Brazil and in 2023 my wife and I intend to travel from Geneva to Santiago. I would like to know if you who are on the road now, have you seen people camping? We really want to do the stretch between Geneva and Saint Jean Pied de Port with a tent as many times as we can.
What do you say?
Thank you very much and may you have a Buen Camino!!!
Hi Marcos. The accommondation/ info booklet published by AMIS ST JACQUES https://boutique.amis-st-jacques-ara.com/produit/guide-jaune/ lists all the camping grounds. They usually have a special pilgrims price, too. We had a tent with us, but didn't camp every night.

Hi Marcos. The accommondation/ info booklet published by AMIS ST JACQUES https://boutique.amis-st-jacques-ara.com/produit/guide-jaune/ lists all the camping grounds. They usually have a special pilgrims price, too. We had a tent with us, but didn't camp every night.
Thank you very much. As I'm only going in April 2023, so I have plenty of time to research routes. I found some maps online and they look great. I'm letting the Way take me to sleep where I can find a place to camp or be welcomed.

I have one more question: In Geneva, do you know where I can get the pilgrim's credential? Can you at Notre-Dame with me or is there an association there?

Hi

My question is,

Cheers in advance

Mark
From Geneva to Le Puy, we had a lot of homestays. A small yellow guidebook lists all the homes and contact info. They were all super hospitable and generous. They never mention money, but each has a small box with sign "Donativo." Beautiful country with beautiful people. I was in late 70's, now 80's and walked half of the Arles to Toulouse route in Mar. 2022, stopped by a atmospheric river - high winds, cold temperatures, torrential rain & flooding.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have one more question: In Geneva, do you know where I can get the pilgrim's credential? Can you at Notre-Dame with me or is there an association there?
We already had a credential as we started our walk at the other end of Lake Geneva, but we got a stamp at the presbytery:
Paroisse de Notre-Dame de Genève
Adresse :
Rue Argand 3
1201 Genève
which is 5 minutes away from the basilica and the place Cornavin.

I had read that there was a pilgrims office close to the Cathédrale St Pierre, but when we were there in 2018, we saw no evidence of that, nor did we find out where we could get a stamp there.

Bon chemin !

@Marcos Campos I'm sorry to say that I don't know where to get a credential in Geneva. Also as AJGuillaume said, the stamps in Geneva weren't that easily available. We got one from the priest after the mass in the basilika. Possibly he would have had credentials as well.

The Protestant cathedral, St Pierre, lies on the GR and has a small shop, where I got a stamp and I believe you can get a credencial.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll begin by saying the easiest place to get the pilgrim stamp is at the tourist office near the bridge over the Rhone. They have an "official" stamp.
I spent a relaxing time from the end of April to the middle of June walking through rain, snow, hail, sleet and glorious sunshine from Geneva to Irun in 2015 with never a lack of a place to stay. One thing I did which added to the comfort was I often went off track at a sign for a private home rather that going on to a designated gite d'etape. I met a number of people who mostly free camped whenever they could.
It's a beautiful walk with everchanging scenery and always welcoming folks.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    807.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    739.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    818.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    719.6 KB · Views: 16
we had a change of plans due to unforeseen events, we will no longer go in April but in September/2023. We already bought airline tickets now there's no going back!!!

We plan to spend a few nights in a tent on the stretch between Geneva and SJPP. Then we will continue to Santiago as we did in 2019.

A friend is in Geneva right now and will try to find the credential for us, she getting me to let you know where she found it.

Thanks for everything so far.
Good way!

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back