• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GEO tracker, anyone ever use one?

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
I saw this article online for a Geo Tracker and wondered if anyone has ever used one on the Camino. It seems to have a fairly limited range, unless other trackers are near (or something).

This is a link to one of the many trackers on the market. Not advocating this brand or any other, as I have never used one.
https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/how-it-works

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is my favourite topic. The Tile you are looking at is a bluetooth connection tracker to find lost items.

Very useful on the camino if you have small items with you and want to make sure everything is packed and leaving the hostel with you. I had a tile on my passport, my knock-off go-pro camera, my expensive headphones, my keys and my backpack.

I was able to check, with a click of the app, if I had all 4 of my pieces in my backpack. If something was missing, I could go back to the restaurant where it was last seen and find it, by making the Tile attached to the item play a tune. It will also tell you the last place your item was seen. The reason I tagged my backpack was to make sure it was on the plane with me as I put it in the cargo hold.

If you were looking for software or a GPS tracker for your own GPS location, to track you as you walk the Camino - I have done that too and have suggestions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why would you need a " search thing " :D

Keep your valuables close/on you , than you don't need the " search thing " and you safe some weight.

Wish you well,Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some of us younger pilgrims have memory issues . .
This would be me, at a spry 63 yrs young. Add I wake up slow and may not get coffee .... I may be able to put these to good use.
Hubby always is hunting his wallet, keys, phone even at home.

Would love some suggestions. Hubby is a geek freak and this would appeal to him and maybe help with some reassurance.

I have the app followmee on my smart phone. With a data connection it will track the phone as it moves across the country. You can have it mark hourly or every minute and or various levels iterations in between. My parents loved the ability to see where I had walked that day.

Anyone who is interested can PM me for more details.

Kathy

This would be me, at a spry 63 yrs young. Add I wake up slow and may not get coffee .... I may be able to put these to good use.
Hubby always is hunting his wallet, keys, phone even at home.

I have tried a couple different brands, but I have found that Tile are the most consistent and reliable.

I lost my keys in a Car2Go last week - someone turned them in to Car2Go but with no identifying features they had no way to call me. But someone recognized the Tile, opened the app, I got a note from the Anonymous user's app saying they had passed my Tile and it had a new location.

When I went to the building, I saw the Car2Go business sign, once I got to the floor, my app notified me that the keys were close and I was able to turn on a sound to make them easier to locate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I saw this article online for a Geo Tracker and wondered if anyone has ever used one on the Camino. It seems to have a fairly limited range, unless other trackers are near (or something).

This is a link to one of the many trackers on the market. Not advocating this brand or any other, as I have never used one.
I used ViewRange App on my phone. Worked GREAT. Uses GPS only while walking, no need for Wifi and minimal battery usage. See my website for the results of how it looks. Each night I would upload my track - synch it using wifi at the albergue or a bar. When you post pictures on Flickr these auto-link with dots on your track too - based upon time taken. Very cool. See my website blog here: http://mikeshawtoday.blogspot.com/
Buen Camino -
Mike Shaw

if your back pack wasn't on the plane.... What could you do except worry about to for the flight.... And then find it was on the flight after all but that for whatever reason it didn't work.

surly trying to remember to check had you forgotten somthing only gives you something else to remember rather than something less?

joking aside. I probably could do with one of those items.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
if your back pack wasn't on the plane.... What could you do except worry about to for the flight....

Actually, I would have assumed the Tile wasn't working properly . . . I am not a worrier! o_O

I lost a Black Yi Camera, in a dark restaurant, the day before I got the Tile to attach to it. I was unable to ring it, or see if it was still there. The Tiles seem the perfect solution. :D

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have the app followmee on my smart phone. With a data connection it will track the phone as it moves across the country. You can have it mark hourly or every minute and or various levels iterations in between. My parents loved the ability to see where I had walked that day.

Anyone who is interested can PM me for more details.

Kathy
Good idea, but expensive roaming charges would have applied? But now, from 11Jun, across Europe, phone and data roaming does not carry additional charges. One of the (few?) very good decisions of the EU.

It works by Bluetooth, and you need a data plan, see other post. Great if you have that, your phone will bleep when a connection is lost.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good idea, but expensive roaming charges would have applied? But now, from 11Jun, across Europe, phone and data roaming does not carry additional charges. One of the (few?) very good decisions of the EU.

GPS does not use data. You can use followmee without data, it stores the tracks on your device and uploads to the internet when you find wifi.

However, if you do not have data, you do not get real time location.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used ViewRange App on my phone. Worked GREAT. Uses GPS only while walking, no need for Wifi and minimal battery usage. See my website for the results of how it looks. Each night I would upload my track - synch it using wifi at the albergue or a bar. When you post pictures on Flickr these auto-link with dots on your track too - based upon time taken. Very cool. See my website blog here: http://mikeshawtoday.blogspot.com/
Buen Camino -
Mike Shaw

Mike, thanks for the info, it may have been off topic but you just provided an invaluable service to some by providing that info !!!

Buen Camino Brother !!!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back