• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geocaching on the Caminos.

Torrent1964

Hi,

I am not sure how many are aware or take part in geocaching, but I thought it mightbe nice to have a topic on the subject that explores expewrience, finds and related pilgrimage experience. Geocache fits well with pilgrimage (at least in my eyes) as it is very eco friendly and seeks to enlighten and inform individuals. God willing, I am due to pilgrimage next April/May and will be caching on the way. I have already mapped out caches on the Madrid route and will also seekt o keep the eco rules such as cleaning up (rubbish collection), etc. I also have this notion that in seeking the caches, my pilgrimage both [hysically and spiritually will be deepend... We shall see.

Torrent. :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I geocached in Santiago de Compostela and Fisterra. I left travel bugs in both caches. I did not take coordinates for any caches outside of these two cities. I was concerned I would be too tired to go caching along the Camino and saved it for the end. I think I was right. I wouldn't have enjoyed searching for caches along the Camino. But that's just me. I'm a very casual geocacher and not very hard core as some are.

If you really enjoy caching then go for it.

I have occasionally done a little geocaching. I could see myself doing something after reaching a town and getting into an albergue, but I am less certain that I would distract myself from the direct path during the day if the caches were any distance away.

Regards,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was planning to do some geocaching during my hike but i've lost my GPS during my recent house move! :cry:

I fly out this Sat so there's no time to search for my GPS now. I do have an app on my phone which i'll probably use to go geocaching if i get into a town early enough in the day. I dont want to use my phone as i'm hiking given it chews through so much battery power.

FrancesK said:
I was planning to do some geocaching during my hike but i've lost my GPS during my recent house move! :cry:

I fly out this Sat so there's no time to search for my GPS now. I do have an app on my phone which i'll probably use to go geocaching if i get into a town early enough in the day. I dont want to use my phone as i'm hiking given it chews through so much battery power.

I use my smart phone app. I usually walk or jump off my bike and dive into the brush! I will be cycling and I can see that there are sufficient close to tmy path or within the towns and cities once resting. Have a a wonderous camino and a thoutoughly enjoyable geojourney too.

Torrent :D

I am actually considering taking my magellan explorist to geocache on the Camino. I figure it might be a lot of fun to try and find some along the way. Since I don't plan to cover excessive kms each day, taking the time for a hunt would probably be quite doable and an enjoyable distraction if they are close to the trail itself. I am not actually taking to the Camino until the spring of 2014 but I've already started to research possible caches along the way and downloading the coords to my gps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,
I will be walking the Camino beginning in April 2013. When I made the decision to walk the Camino, the first thing I did was check for caches on the geocaching.com site. Happy to see there were lots of them! I usually cache with my partner and we sign logs as Team Cache Hoppers. However, my partner will not be with me on the Camino, so I if you see "gonedigginaz" on a log, it is me! Maybe I will be fortunate to meet other cachers along the way!
Cache on!
Carol

Hey Carol,

Which Camino will you be walking in April? I'll be on the Frances way in October 2014, so if you doing the same, I will certainly look out for your signature. ;)

Buen Camino and happy caching :D

Renee (GeoName is RDLtrekker)

Great thread! I plan to get the Geocaching app by Groundspeak to use on the Camino Frances this June/July. I don't know how much I will use it but since it's something I enjoy doing, it will be nice to have available.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Has anyone set a caching route and saved it as a pocket query ? that would make it simple for the rest of us lazy beggars !!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.