• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Georgiana's Gems #6 Santiago as guide of souls

PILGRIMSPLAZA

Pilgrimage is of all people, faiths, sferes and ages - for hunters, gatherers and smorgasbordians:
------------------------------------------------------------
Present Georgiana's Gems:
- Georgiana's Gems #1 bees on miscellaneous-topics/topic4442.html
- Georgiana's Gems #2 Vézelay on miscellaneous-topics/topic4569.html
- Georgiana's Gems #3 the Magdalen - Mary Magdalen on miscellaneous-topics/topic4583.html
- Georgiana's Gems #4 Santiago's tau staff on pilgrim-books/topic4589.html
- Georgiana's Gems #5 Fisterra blues on pilgrim-books/topic4613.html
- Georgiana's Gems #6 Santiago as guide of dead souls on miscellaneous-topics/topic4662.html
- Georgiana's Gems #7 Lusitania (Portugal) and Lug on el-camino-portugues/topic4694.html
- Georgiana's Gems #8 more King books online on pilgrim-books/topic5466.html
- Georgiana's Gems #9 Iria Flavia on santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia/topic5804.html

Future Georgiana's Gems may follow in http://pilgrimsplaza-georgianas-gems.blogspot.com on birds (doves), cypress, vista, faces, beards, Daniel, Ester, Judith, Sheba, Heavenly and Mortal Twins, axe and mallet, Paul, Nazarean, syncretism (111-294, 307, 308, 311, 313, 357, 367; law of, 307), heresy, Priscillian (I-59, III-334, 345; II-222, 237, III-237, 264, 316; III-624) and references to connected authors and books. Suggestions are welcome! Mind due: we're no experts in these fields so if you know better please enlighten us!
------------------------------------------------------------

Georgiana's Gems #6 Santiago's psychopompous function as guide of souls

Reading The Way of Saint James by Ms Georgiana Goddard King (1920/2008) for the 3rd time makes a good opportunity to collect the gems she is giving us in such great numbers. The first time I read this classic I was fully overwhelmed by her poetic style and great authority; the second reading reveiled the details of the structure of this masterpiece and now I'm certainly very ready, most willing and hopefully able to feast on all the gems of epic writing in this book and share them with you. Any comments and suggestions are most welcome!

In this 6th Gem on Santiago's psychopompous function we're closing in on the deaper historical, mystical and spiritual layers under the story of the pilgrimage to the end of the western world as it was known in the early years. As quoted in Georgiana's Gem #4 tau: To the Romans as to the Celts, the Tierra de Santiago was the Land of the Dead.

More Georgiana's Gems may follow on bees, birds (doves), souls, Fisterra, cypress, vista, faces, beards, Daniel, Ester, Judith, Sheba, Heavenly and Mortal Twins, chtonian & psychopomp powers, tau, axe and mallet, Paul, Nazarean, syncretism (111-294, 307, 308, 311, 313, 357, 367; law of, 307), heresy, Priscillian (I-59, III-334, 345; II-222, 237, III-237, 264, 316; III-624) and references to connected authors and books. Suggestions are welcome! Mind due: we're no experts in these fields so if you know better please enlighten us! [highlighting -gb]
Ms King does not mention: Beda, Holy Company, lizard, Queimada.

The Way of Saint James contains 4 BOOKS in 3 Volumes:
Volume I: BOOK ONE: THE PILGRIMAGE: chapters I – V: pp 1-134
Volume I: BOOK TWO: THE WAY: chapters I – VIII: 135-463
Volume II: BOOK TWO: THE WAY: chapters IX – XVI: 1-514
Volume III: BOOK THREE: THE BOURNE: chapters I – VII: 1-370
Volume III: BOOK FOUR: HOMEWARD: chapters I – III: 371-710

NB: It may be very confusing that BOOK TWO: THE WAY is divided
over Volume I (chapters I – VIII) and Volume II (chapters IX – XVI).
So pp 135-463 occur twice in BOOK TWO!

Volume II: BOOK TWO: THE WAY: chapters IX – XVI: 1-514
IX. CAPUT CASTELLAE 3
X. THE FORDS OF CARRION 71
XI. SAHAGÚN 118
XII. PULCHRA LEONINA 175
XIII. THE HEATH AND THE PASS 278 <<<
XIV. THE PASSAGE HONOURABLE 317
XV. IN THE VIERZO 349
XVI. BY SIL AND MIÑO 381

[282][This is about The Virgen del Camino -gb]
Though Manier knew her, in his quaint transliteration of what to him was jargon, [S, Michael Psychopompos] as Notre Seille delle Gamine, even Nicholas Bonfons5 in the Nouvelle Guide of 1583 calls this church Sainct Michel. S. Michael is reckoned to succeed Hermes, especially in his function of psychopompos,6 and shrines once dedicated to the archangel still stand along the road, from S. Miguel in Excelsis at the entrance into Spain, past Estella, past Escalada, on to the place that Aymery knew as Villa S. Michaelis, somewhere between Triacastela and Barbadelo. That may be Samos, and if so S. Julian has supplanted him, rearing [283] the great monastery alongside the tiny chapel; or it may be Sarria, and then he would be associated with S. Salvador. [The Saviour and the Messenger] The most ancient Lords in all the land are perhaps the Saviour (Soter, S. Salvador) and the Messenger.

Volume III: BOOK THREE: THE BOURNE: chapters I – VII: 1-370
I AÑO SANTO (3-33) 3
II THE CHURCH OF THE APOSTEL (34-87) 34
III DIEGO GELMÍREZ (88-138) 88
IV COMPOSTELLA (139-173) 139
As Pilgrims Pass. (173-365) 173
Castle and Church. 181
Los Muertos Mandan. 196
V THE WORLD’S END 202
The Bridge of Dead. 259
VII THE ASIAN GOD 278
The Constant Worship. 285
The Star-led Wizards. 314 <
The Mortal Twin. 334
Along the Eastern Road. 365

[319] Mithras, however, was psychopompos, and along the Camino de Santiago, the souls were guided. [Who leads the souls] Where once S. Michael had taken over this office along the Way, and led the souls and weighed them at Sangüesa and Estella and at the great cathedrals, and at Santiago in Thurkill's Vision, there S. James assumed the rôle, and at Compostella it is his main business.
Helios too in the East is psychopompos, as Dussaud notes, and is a rider,11 such another as that in the fourth Miracle of S. James. The Celtic Mercury, the protector of wayfarers and merchants, as Menéndez y Pelayo observes with truth, is [320] less often to be found in Spain: he can only be identified with certainty twice, both times in the south, on the coins of Carmona that show the caduceus or a head with the petasus,12 [The Celtic Mercury] and on an inscription at Cartagena where fishermen and fishmongers consecrate a statue to Mercury.

NOTES
[488] 8 The case is this : (4) S. James is psychopompos and patron of wayfarers, succeeding the Celtic Esus-Mercury, and Mithras. He is a chthonian power.

INDEX
[681] Helios, III-309, 347, 363; psychopompos, 319; v. also Apollo, Sol
[700] S. Michael, 1-29, 393, II-281,282, 290, 111-76; suc-[S. Michael--Cont'd]ceeds Hermes, 11-282; psychopompos, 11-282, III-3I9; dedications to, I-33-34, 11-282-3, III-111; S. Michele in Gargano, Mont S. Michel, S. Michael's Mount, 1-23-4

See King's full index on http://pilgrimsplaza-king-index.blogspot.com

All Gems:
- Georgiana's Gems #1 bees on http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/b ... c4442.html
- Georgiana's Gems #2 Vézelay on http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/b ... c4569.html
- Georgiana's Gems #3 the Magdalen - Mary Magdalen on http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/b ... c4583.html
- Georgiana's Gems #4 Santiago's tau staff on http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/b ... c4589.html
- Georgiana's Gems #5 Fisterra blues on http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/b ... c4613.html
- Georgiana's Gems #6 Santiago as guide of dead souls on http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/b ... tml#p26044
and psychopomp on http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/b ... tml#p26036

Attachments

• 471KIN~1-1-1.JPG
    471KIN~1-1-1.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 819
  • GeorgianaGoddardKing2MLowRes.jpg
    GeorgianaGoddardKing2MLowRes.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 826
  • King3hand.JPG
    King3hand.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 818
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back