A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Gerald Kelly VDLP Guide

Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I understand that Gerald Kelly has an updated edition coming out soon (3rd Edition), anybody out there know when its due?

handzondeck2

Camino(s) past & future
CF (x2); VdLP (x4); Portuguese (x2); Madrid (x2); S/Salvador, Primitivo, Ingles ('17) Camino 19 tba
Hi Ivar what is the weight of the book and would it be possible to mail to hotels in Spain? Thanks

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
I emailed him several weeks ago asking for a link for the gps maps and haven’t heard back. Maybe he is on a Camino.
Mark
Hi Mark!

I just replied to your email with the links to the .gps and .kml files. Sorry about not replying. Just completely forgot. Wish I was on the Camino! The Irish winter has enter its it's-never-gonna-end phase and it's snowing heavily tonight (which for me feels like a nice change to the normal grey).

I will add a link to the gps files to the download email, that way people won't have to email me (should be more reliable).

All the best!
Gerald

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
@handzondeck2 if you want a response to @ivar, then please send him a PM. Believe it or not, he does not read every post in the forum! If you do not @ his name, or alternatively (and better) send him a PM your question may not come to his attention.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017
Hi Mark!

I just replied to your email with the links to the .gps and .kml files. Sorry about not replying. Just completely forgot. Wish I was on the Camino! The Irish winter has enter its it's-never-gonna-end phase and it's snowing heavily tonight (which for me feels like a nice change to the normal grey).

I will add a link to the gps files to the download email, that way people won't have to email me (should be more reliable).

All the best!
Gerald
Hi Gerald,

FYI your VDLP link is not working - see screen shot. Looking forward to seeing this page. Thanks :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
Hi Tina-Marie

I was doing some work on the site last night, if you try it now it should be OK again.

Gerald

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ivar what is the weight of the book and would it be possible to mail to hotels in Spain? Thanks
The height is about 1 cm taller than the Brierley Camino Frances book (Sorry, I don't have a measuring tape here)...

Yes, billing address and shipping addres are two different things, so you can ship to whatever address you want.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Camino(s) past & future
Amazon.com reports that the print edition weighs 5 ounces, which is about 140g.

Camino(s) past & future
Okay I am clicking off of your link about and also tried from caminoguide.net - http://www.viadelaplataguide.net/ I tried it using both chrome and internet explorer with both showing the same error report. what is the var/ which is showing in front of the address on the error report?
Please try again now. I think I've fixed the problem. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino(s) past & future
Is there an e-book version of the 2018 guide coming out?
Hi Donna

It's already available in Kindle format, or else you can get a copy in PDF from my website.

Gerald

Bigfrog

Camino(s) past & future
Soon...
@geraldkelly

Hi Gerald - are there any bookstores in Spain (especially in Barcelona or Sevilla) that carry your guide to VDLP?

I'm currently traveling so Im unable to have a copy shipped to me and I prefer a real book to a digital version.

Thanks!
John

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
@geraldkelly

Hi Gerald - are there any bookstores in Spain (especially in Barcelona or Sevilla) that carry your guide to VDLP?

I'm currently traveling so Im unable to have a copy shipped to me and I prefer a real book to a digital version.

Thanks!
John
Can't you order one from Ivar here and get it posted to yourself at the post office in Seville? I know you can do this in France.

Davey

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
Hi Mark!

All the best!
Gerald
Hi @geraldkelly . I have the kindle version of the guide. Is it possible to get the gps kml files, or are these an additional cost? If so, where do I get them?

Regards - Rob

tominrm

Hiking to Celebrate the End of Working Life.
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2014)
del Norte ( 2015)
Portuguese ( 2016)
Primitivo ( 2017)
VdlP (2018)
Because of on-going high speed train track construction work along the way (I believe about five more years!) it is recommended to have the latest version of the guide. And even the latest version might not be accurate. I walked in April, 2018 with then the latest version to find, understandably, detour info was incorrect in a few places.

The short cut to Tábara along the road is very dangerous. Do not take it. The road is narrow including one lane bridge (one direction at a time) and there is no shoulder in most places. There was heavy construction truck traffic then. It was too late to turn around by the time I realize.

Camino(s) past & future
Hi @geraldkelly . I have the kindle version of the guide. Is it possible to get the gps kml files, or are these an additional cost? If so, where do I get them?

Regards - Rob
You can download them from my website, there's no charge. viadelaplataguide.net

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
You can download them from my website, there's no charge. viadelaplataguide.net
Hi - Are there GPS or KML files on the website? I don't see them, although I do see where to get the guide which I already have and enjoy, thanks.

Camino(s) past & future
Hi

If you request to download the guide again the email you'll receive contains links to the GPX and KML files.

Gerald

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Hi
If you request to download the guide again the email you'll receive contains links to the GPX and KML files.
Gerald
Thank you. I did that and now have the files. Do you think you will you be updating the guide for 2019? Also, do you update the print version each time, as well?

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you. I did that and now have the files. Do you think you will you be updating the guide for 2019? Also, do you update the print version each time, as well?
Yes. It will not be a major rewrite, I'll just go through the emails I've received in the past year and check whatever information I can find online. I don't think there'll be a lot of changes because I don't think that there are a lot of new albergues and I haven't been receiving a lot of complaints that it's out of date. It should be available before Christmas, I'll send an email to downloaders to tell them.

Next year I hope to walk it again and do a full update.

Gerald

Simon B

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
Hi Mark!

All the best!
Gerald
Gerald - would very much like to use your gpx files for the VDLP. I have tried downloading from another link but they seem to be corrupted - any chance you could tell me where to get a 'clean' copy.

Many thanks.

Simon

Camino(s) past & future
Gerald - would very much like to use your gpx files for the VDLP. I have tried downloading from another link but they seem to be corrupted - any chance you could tell me where to get a 'clean' copy.

Many thanks.

Simon
Hi Simon

If you go to www.viadelaplataguide.net and go to Downloads and enter your email, you'll receive an email with links to download the GPS files.

Let me know if you have any problems. I use the MAPS.ME app. It's available for Android and iPhone.

Gerald

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%