• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gerald Kelly VDLP Guide

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I understand that Gerald Kelly has an updated edition coming out soon (3rd Edition), anybody out there know when its due?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ivar what is the weight of the book and would it be possible to mail to hotels in Spain? Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I emailed him several weeks ago asking for a link for the gps maps and haven’t heard back. Maybe he is on a Camino.
Mark

Hi Mark!

I just replied to your email with the links to the .gps and .kml files. Sorry about not replying. Just completely forgot. Wish I was on the Camino! The Irish winter has enter its it's-never-gonna-end phase and it's snowing heavily tonight (which for me feels like a nice change to the normal grey).

I will add a link to the gps files to the download email, that way people won't have to email me (should be more reliable).

All the best!
Gerald

@handzondeck2 if you want a response to @ivar, then please send him a PM. Believe it or not, he does not read every post in the forum! If you do not @ his name, or alternatively (and better) send him a PM your question may not come to his attention.

Hi Mark!

I just replied to your email with the links to the .gps and .kml files. Sorry about not replying. Just completely forgot. Wish I was on the Camino! The Irish winter has enter its it's-never-gonna-end phase and it's snowing heavily tonight (which for me feels like a nice change to the normal grey).

I will add a link to the gps files to the download email, that way people won't have to email me (should be more reliable).

All the best!
Gerald
Hi Gerald,

FYI your VDLP link is not working - see screen shot. Looking forward to seeing this page. Thanks :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Tina-Marie

I was doing some work on the site last night, if you try it now it should be OK again.

Gerald

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Amazon.com reports that the print edition weighs 5 ounces, which is about 140g.

Okay I am clicking off of your link about and also tried from caminoguide.net - http://www.viadelaplataguide.net/ I tried it using both chrome and internet explorer with both showing the same error report. what is the var/ which is showing in front of the address on the error report?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Okay I am clicking off of your link about and also tried from caminoguide.net - http://www.viadelaplataguide.net/ I tried it using both chrome and internet explorer with both showing the same error report. what is the var/ which is showing in front of the address on the error report?

Please try again now. I think I've fixed the problem. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is there an e-book version of the 2018 guide coming out?

Is there an e-book version of the 2018 guide coming out?

Hi Donna

It's already available in Kindle format, or else you can get a copy in PDF from my website.

Gerald

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@geraldkelly

Hi Gerald - are there any bookstores in Spain (especially in Barcelona or Sevilla) that carry your guide to VDLP?

I'm currently traveling so Im unable to have a copy shipped to me and I prefer a real book to a digital version.

Thanks!
John

@geraldkelly

Hi Gerald - are there any bookstores in Spain (especially in Barcelona or Sevilla) that carry your guide to VDLP?

I'm currently traveling so Im unable to have a copy shipped to me and I prefer a real book to a digital version.

Thanks!
John

Can't you order one from Ivar here and get it posted to yourself at the post office in Seville? I know you can do this in France.

Davey

Hi Mark!

All the best!
Gerald

Hi @geraldkelly . I have the kindle version of the guide. Is it possible to get the gps kml files, or are these an additional cost? If so, where do I get them?

Regards - Rob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Because of on-going high speed train track construction work along the way (I believe about five more years!) it is recommended to have the latest version of the guide. And even the latest version might not be accurate. I walked in April, 2018 with then the latest version to find, understandably, detour info was incorrect in a few places.

The short cut to Tábara along the road is very dangerous. Do not take it. The road is narrow including one lane bridge (one direction at a time) and there is no shoulder in most places. There was heavy construction truck traffic then. It was too late to turn around by the time I realize.

Hi @geraldkelly . I have the kindle version of the guide. Is it possible to get the gps kml files, or are these an additional cost? If so, where do I get them?

Regards - Rob

You can download them from my website, there's no charge. viadelaplataguide.net

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi

If you request to download the guide again the email you'll receive contains links to the GPX and KML files.

Gerald

Hi
If you request to download the guide again the email you'll receive contains links to the GPX and KML files.
Gerald
Thank you. I did that and now have the files. Do you think you will you be updating the guide for 2019? Also, do you update the print version each time, as well?

Thank you. I did that and now have the files. Do you think you will you be updating the guide for 2019? Also, do you update the print version each time, as well?

Yes. It will not be a major rewrite, I'll just go through the emails I've received in the past year and check whatever information I can find online. I don't think there'll be a lot of changes because I don't think that there are a lot of new albergues and I haven't been receiving a lot of complaints that it's out of date. It should be available before Christmas, I'll send an email to downloaders to tell them.

Next year I hope to walk it again and do a full update.

Gerald

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mark!

All the best!
Gerald
Gerald - would very much like to use your gpx files for the VDLP. I have tried downloading from another link but they seem to be corrupted - any chance you could tell me where to get a 'clean' copy.

Many thanks.

Simon

Gerald - would very much like to use your gpx files for the VDLP. I have tried downloading from another link but they seem to be corrupted - any chance you could tell me where to get a 'clean' copy.

Many thanks.

Simon

Hi Simon

If you go to www.viadelaplataguide.net and go to Downloads and enter your email, you'll receive an email with links to download the GPS files.

Let me know if you have any problems. I use the MAPS.ME app. It's available for Android and iPhone.

Gerald

Hi Simon

If you go to www.viadelaplataguide.net and go to Downloads and enter your email, you'll receive an email with links to download the GPS files.

Let me know if you have any problems. I use the MAPS.ME app. It's available for Android and iPhone.

Gerald
Hi Gerald. @geraldkelly
I bought your guide a while back (very reasonable price btw). I guess it’s that same as the free one presently available now Jan25?
Previously I had tried to request your gps tracks following the info on this thread.. but get an error msg now. I think when I did get the email before the link didn’t automatically say ‘open in maps me’

Is there a trick you can let me in on to getting your tracks - Onto my maps.me ?

Heading out in April 19
Much appreciate your work.
Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Annie

I'm afraid I can't be of much use to you. I know almost nothing about iPhones. There is some information on this link which someone else found useful. Otherwise I recommend you ask someone you know who's good with iPhones how to do it.

Gerald

Hi Annie

I'm afraid I can't be of much use to you. I know almost nothing about iPhones. There is some information on this link which someone else found useful. Otherwise I recommend you ask someone you know who's good with iPhones how to do it.

Gerald
That was quick Gerald. I don’t usually have a problem getting the file onto the iPhone and onto maps.me. It does it pretty much automatically. I just have to have the compatible file. I’m not sure whether you have a file for your tracks? And if it is a kml /kmz file ?

I saw on a previous response that Clare @C clearly
had received the file. However maybe she was talking about the file for your guide. (I have the app for your VIA guide. Love it). If I’m asking for a file for tracks and there isn’t one., my apologies.

Buen Camino
Annie

Sorry, I thought you already had the files.

Go to www.viadelaplataguide.net and go to Downloads and enter your email address and you'll get an email with the links (these links were broken but they're working now!)

This will give you a zip file with the kml files inside.

Let me know how you get on!

Gerald

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Aljucen the albergue on the right is called San Andreas and the new number is 680885329. I've skipped a few stages from monesterio as places are either full or not responding

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back