• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

German Credenza?

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
Last week, I walked a very small part of the Camino in Rothenberg ob der Taube in central Germany. Unfortunately, all I could get were photos because I couldn't figure out where to get a credenza. Any idea where to get a credenza in Germany? No one along the trail had any idea what I was talking about, including reps from the local tourist bureau :wink:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there, FooteK. You might like to contact http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/index.html and ask about a Pilgerpass specific to Rothenburg ob T. Alternately a Pilgerpass can be obtained online from Der Jakobusfreunde, Paderborn.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

online Pilgerpass
http://www.pilgerandenken.de/

Contact info
Der Jakobusfreunde, Paderborn, Busdorfmauer 33, D-33098

Tel. Paderborn (05251) 5068677 or 1474794

Email: james @ pilgrim paderborn.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's quite possible to get Pilgerstempeln; I was able to get stamps at almost every lodging, and the big-city churches, and a few small-town churches dedicated to pilgrim saints (Jakobus, Roch) while walking from Prague to Nurmberg in 2012. I used the American pilgrim credential. The best time to collect a stamp is when your host is collecting your money: sometimes that is in the evening upon arrival, occasionally in the morning upon departure. If your German fails ("Gibt es ein Pilgerstempel, bitte?") then charades seem to work fine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, it is Pilgerpass (pilgrim passport) or better Pilgerausweis (pilgrim id) Credencial is Spanish, Credenza I do not know, maybe Italian or Portuguese?

Some update here: The website pilgerandenken.de is not working any more. If you are interested in a Credencial, that is also in German, you can find it here: https://www.pilgern-schwaben.de/pilgerpass-pilgerausweis/

Or have a look here, beginning of the post is a long list of German Camino associations where Credencial or Pilgerpass can be ordered from ;-)

BC SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found quite a few German credenzas. Here's one
😂😂😂

View attachment 69430

Considering it's probably 60 years old it looks quite modern doesn't it? The kind of furniture my parents went mad on in the 1960s - out with the old and clunky in with the sleek and smooth.
Where do you get them to apply the sellos . . . . ? Will the Correos carry it from refugio to refugio for you? ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do they really call it a Cradenza in German? I thought that was a sideboard or buffet counter! A new one to try on my teacher at next week's German class!

I inherited one from my great-great-aunt(mid 19th century) and it was called a Kredenz in good old German spelling - how could you spell them credenzas, Jeff?!

Being serious again, I do not think that many people know this word in Germany now, certainly nobody of the younger generations. And this does not help the modern pilgrim in getting a Pilgerausweis in Germany.

By the way I always get a credential from my local Amis de St Jacques here if only to make the connection between here and there...

I inherited one from my great-great-aunt(mid 19th century) and it was called a Kredenz in good old German spelling - how could you spell them credenzas, Jeff?!

Being serious again, I do not think that many people know this word in Germany now, certainly nobody of the younger generations. And this does not help the modern pilgrim in getting a Pilgerausweis in Germany.

By the way I always get a credential from my local Amis de St Jacques here if only to make the connection between here and there...
Mea culpa . . . a combination of the OP plus my ham fingered typing. In penance I offer you this:

1581154794940.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being serious again, I do not think that many people know this word in Germany now, certainly nobody of the younger generations. ...

If this German might weight in ;-) Kredenz is actually more an Austrian term, than a German one (yes, another two countries divided by the same language). In German-German the term Kredenz is mainly used in the sense of 'credence table', a side table near the altar where those things that are needed to celebrate the Eucharist are kept before they get set on the altar.
For secular furniture like in the photos here we use 'Anrichte' or 'Büffet' in German. Hope you all enjoy this pretty useless bit of trivia ;-)

BC SY

If this German might weight in ;-) Kredenz is actually more an Austrian term, than a German one (yes, another two countries divided by the same language). In German-German the term Kredenz is mainly used in the sense of 'credence table', a side table near the altar where those things that are needed to celebrate the Eucharist are kept before they get set on the altar.
For secular furniture like in the photos here we use 'Anrichte' or 'Büffet' in German. Hope you all enjoy this pretty useless bit of trivia ;-)

BC SY

Interesting. This got me wondering, and I searched for the history of the word, credenza.

Wikipedia gave me this: “Originally in Italian the name meant belief or trust (etymologically connected to the English word "credence"). In the 16th century the act of credenza was the tasting of food and drinks by a servant for a lord or other important person (such as the pope or a cardinal) in order to test for poison.”

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

BC SY
My mind is full of useless trivia - a little more won't hurt. 😂

Trivial or not - ineresting! I did not realize this. Nevertheless in this German's family this sideboard has always been referred to as the Kredenz going back to the great-great aunt I suppose. kredenzen = to taste, as in your research, NorthernLight, but also to offer, present - a drink normally.
Interesting. This got me wondering, and I searched for the history of the word, credenza.

Wikipedia gave me this: “Originally in Italian the name meant belief or trust (etymologically connected to the English word "credence"). In the 16th century the act of credenza was the tasting of food and drinks by a servant for a lord or other important person (such as the pope or a cardinal) in order to test for poison.”

Thank you both!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back