A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID German Peregrino on the Camino already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Hi saw this link today on my Camigos wattsapp page.
I think to say 'he is on it' is a bit of a misnomer, he has not left ithe Camino through the state of alarm, but he is now moving westward..
I'm sure he was at the peaceable when I stayed there in December, as a hospitalero or something or the other.

Last edited:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
The problem is that he can't enter Galicia now. The last I heard is the Xunta has asked the central government for movements allowed among the 4 Galician provinces but not permitted from C y Leon and Asturias.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Is Asturias in the same phase as Galicia, not that he can enter into Asturias from CL.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
He is more or less a permanent resident who has lives here and there on the Camino for many years. He is posting his progress regularly on FB, I think he started in Rabanel. I have know him for years and we worked together as hospis at San Anton a number of years ago. Most recently he was living at Rebekah's and working at Bruno's albergue.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ollie operates on his own rules. He is a total free spirit. He says on FB that he has seen Police and they don't question him. I just hope he stays safe.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Ollie operates on his own rules. He is a total free spirit. He says on FB that he has seen Police and they don't question him. I just hope he stays safe.
I've met Ollie before but I guess that I am extra sensitive after all this time in severe lockdown. Heck, I would like to be out there walking too but we are all in this together, it's not just about what I want.

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Thanks for all the phase information

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
How does the Free Spirit make a living? I want to be a free spirit when I grow up.
He has remained a FREE SPIRIT for years by working as a hospi for albergues on several routes. Many owner who need some extra help, know how to get the word to him some how through the Camino grapevine and he shows up.
In the winter he does renovations and painting work for various owners basically in exchange for meals.
He is a very creative chef and can whip up a meal with only the bare essentials. He has also managed to master a number of languages, so he is invaluable in that sense.
Besides he is very gregarious and fun to be around, even though you may be the one buying his beers.
I don't know what prompted his emergence on social media. He was silent for years. I went to see him on the Camino Madrid a couple of years ago and he had left before me.
I think most recently he was painting at Bruno's in Moratinos and staying at Rebekah's. The he suddenly sprung up in Rabanal where I think he was helping Kim at the Stone Boat with her remodeling. Now he's back out there somewhere.

David Pettee

Camino(s) past & future
GPM '86; Soviet/Amer. Walk '88; Death Valley to Mt. Whitney '89; CF '18; Coast to Coast '19; CP '20
I've never met Ollie (as far as I know) and I'm having a bit of a reaction. Perhaps one of the more important universal truths that has emerged from this virus is that we live in an interdependent web, whether we like it or not. I walked across America in 1986 on a peace march and met dozens of free spirits. What attracted me to some people or repelled me from others was whether or not they understood the enormous responsibility that comes with freedom. I dunno... walking through virus stricken communities as a potential asymptomatic carrier without being able to know it feels like an act of anarchy, not responsibility, to someone like me, who has a serious underlying health condition... but you would never know it by looking at me. Someone help me understand why this guy deserve a pass.

I've never met Ollie (as far as I know) and I'm having a bit of a reaction. Perhaps one of the more important universal truths that has emerged from this virus is that we live in an interdependent web, whether we like it or not. I walked across America in 1986 on a peace march and met dozens of free spirits. What attracted me to some people or repelled me from others was whether or not they understood the enormous responsibility that comes with freedom. I dunno... walking through virus stricken communities as a potential asymptomatic carrier without being able to know it feels like an act of anarchy, not responsibility, to someone like me, who has a serious underlying health condition... but you would never know it by looking at me. Someone help me understand why this guy deserve a pass.
Sometimes these so called "free spirits" strike me as taking advantage of a good thing like the Camino because the infrastructure is there. How free spirited are they trying to get through life in a big city or other areas not so welcoming.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
He has remained a FREE SPIRIT for years by working as a hospi for albergues on several routes. Many owner who need some extra help, know how to get the word to him some how through the Camino grapevine and he shows up.
In the winter he does renovations and painting work for various owners basically in exchange for meals.
He is a very creative chef and can whip up a meal with only the bare essentials. He has also managed to master a number of languages, so he is invaluable in that sense.
Besides he is very gregarious and fun to be around, even though you may be the one buying his beers.
I don't know what prompted his emergence on social media. He was silent for years. I went to see him on the Camino Madrid a couple of years ago and he had left before me.
I think most recently he was painting at Bruno's in Moratinos and staying at Rebekah's. The he suddenly sprung up in Rabanal where I think he was helping Kim at the Stone Boat with her remodeling. Now he's back out there somewhere.
Well then, he sounds fun.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Sometimes these so called "free spirits" strike me as taking advantage of a good thing like the Camino because the infrastructure is there. How free spirited are they trying to get through life in a big city or other areas not so welcoming.
Some times on a park bench or under a tree in a park, that's their life and the choice they have made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Zordmot Covid and the Camino 8

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 323 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 11.9%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock