• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

German TV documentary - Camino by bike 1984

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
I just saw a documentary today in German television, one I had never seen before, and that was extremely fascinating to me.

It was about people going to Santiago by bike in the 1980s. Also meeting foot pilgrims and those on horseback.

The cyclists with old bikes and few gears, sleeping mats on their bikes and sleeping on the same concrete floor as the walking pilgrims and those with horses.

To see places like Rabanal back in those days. Just wow.

I thought I had seen every available documentary out there, but that was a gem.

The narrator's conclusion in the end: "We will go to Santiago again. But the next time on foot".

(I wasn't sure what section to post this in, moderators please move it somewhere else if this is the wrong place).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Too bad, I missed that - could you please tell me the exact name of the documentary, which channel showed the film and at what time? Maybe it's still available in the Mediathek.

Too bad, I missed that - could you please tell me the exact name of the documentary, which channel showed the film and at what time? Maybe it's still available in the Mediathek.
It was this one:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please help - no German, can you link directly to the programme?

The link I posted is the only one I found so far. I'm afraid it is not available for streaming at the moment. I'll try again later today to find a streaming option. It was on the channel "ARD Alpha" which is a channel of the public german TV, but a lesser known one. It was pure luck that I switched it on in the right moment.

Please help - no German, can you link directly to the programme?

The link I posted is the only one I found so far. I'm afraid it is not available for streaming at the moment. I'll try again later today to find a streaming option. It was on the channel "ARD Alpha" which is a channel of the public german TV, but a lesser known one. It was pure luck that I switched it on in the right moment.

Hi,

thanks for posting the program description.

I haven't found a way to stream the documentary either, but it will be repeated tomorrow afternoon 😍: Monday, 06-05-2023. Starting 2:45 p.m, same channel.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,

thanks for posting the program description.

I haven't found a way to stream the documentary either, but it will be repeated tomorrow afternoon 😍: Monday, 06-05-2023. Starting 2:45 p.m, same Channel.

Thank you so much for that info. I missed the first half yesterday so I can enjoy it tomorrow in full length. Perfect!

@Kirkie

If you're in tomorrow at 2:45 p.m. you can watch the show live in the Mediathek . On this page just scroll down until you see the channel Alpha on the right side. The channel will be around the 15th position. Click there, then you can watch too.

Last edited:
I just saw a documentary today in German television, one I had never seen before, and that was extremely fascinating to me.

It was about people going to Santiago by bike in the 1980s. Also meeting foot pilgrims and those on horseback.

The cyclists with old bikes and few gears, sleeping mats on their bikes and sleeping on the same concrete floor as the walking pilgrims and those with horses.

To see places like Rabanal back in those days. Just wow.

I thought I had seen every available documentary out there, but that was a gem.

The narrator's conclusion in the end: "We will go to Santiago again. But the next time on foot".

(I wasn't sure what section to post this in, moderators please move it somewhere else if this is the wrong place).
Hello Shoes,
Thank you very much for your post. Could you please add the link? I would very much like to see it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Shoes,
Thank you very much for your post. Could you please add the link? I would very much like to see it!

In the post above by sugargypsy there's a link to the program. It is not generally available as a stream, but if you have the time to watch today at 2:45pm (german time) it is running again on the channel "ARD Alpha" at that time.

I think this is the channel:

Edit: now that I read the description it seems it can sadly only be watched in Germany (geo blocked) :-(

In the post above by sugargypsy there's a link to the program. It is not generally available as a stream, but if you have the time to watch today at 2:45pm (german time) it is running again on the channel "ARD Alpha" at that time.

I think this is the channel:

Edit: now that I read the description it seems it can sadly only be watched in Germany (geo blocked) :-(
Thanks for all your efforts. Nothing is so important anyway. Better to clean the yard a bit! 😇

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I am from South Africa and love to be able to stream it one or other time, seeing that we will not be able to watch the German channels. I am Afrikaans speaking and can read and understand German a bit. It might be somewhere on internet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was very interesting to watch the documentary. Many things seemed familiar, but so different. A lot has changed in the last 40 years.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. @good_old_shoes.

It was very interesting to watch the documentary. Many things seemed familiar, but so different. A lot has changed in the last 40 years.

Yes. Many things looked so familiar! And some so different. I am really happy I could watch the full documentary now. I did like how calm the tone of it was. Something that is rare in tv nowadays.

I loved how the two young men took the time to visit monasteries, churches, local festivals ect., to talk to locals and other pilgrims, to read the guest books in the churches ect.., even though they didn't have much time. You could see how serious they took what they were doing.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back