• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gernika-Bilbao... Help!

Maeve1983

Time of past OR future Camino
San Sebastian- Bilbao, Sarria-SDC (2015)
Hi guys,
Am on Day 4 of my Camino. I'm currently in the fairly grim Pension Gernika after a very difficult days walk from Markina. My legs and feet are really suffering after the gruelling Deba-Markina stage.
I know it's about 30km to Bilbao tomorrow, where I plan to take a day's rest and then travel to Sarria to do the last 100km (that was my plan all along). My question is, compared to the last 2 days how difficult honestly is the stage tomorrow to Bilbao? If it gets too much are there buses in the villages along the way? Thank you. Forgive me if my tone is a little negative. Today is my first day of feeling lonely and I snapped at a peregrino today who took my photo as I huffed and puffed up a hill in spite of my signalling to him that I didn't want him to. It felt like an imvasion of privacy at a vulnerable moment and it put me in bad humour for the rest of the day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Maeve. Not wanting to discourage you, but there is quite some climbing and descending tomorrow, especially the first part when leaving Guernika. I think it is 35 km to Bilbao from Gernika. You may consider walking to Lezama only (app 21 km) to save your feet and legs, and then do a shorter stage to Bilbao the day after, while still having enough time in Bilbao to have a rest day. I do not know too much about busses, but I know there are busses from Lezama to Bilbao (I saw many others taking a bus from there to Bilbao). Good luck !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Going all the way to Bilbao is a long way away. If you are staying at the Juvenil, you can catch the bus into Bilbao at the corner of the street, just ask at the front desk. It's the regular urban bus, not one you have to take at a station. Yes, the day from Deba to Markina can be brutal, one of the most difficult on any Camino. Sorry it took such a toll on you.

@Maeve1983 I think it was our most difficult day. A long stretch over the mountain (probably only hills, but felt like mountains) in pouring rain on steep slippery muddy paths that had been churned up by logging trucks. With nowhere to take a break. If there were any villages we could not find or see them!

You have survived one of the toughest Camino stretches. I occasionally had people photographing me, but I assumed because that, as a pilgrim and therefore a tourist attraction, I was part of the landscape. Really, I should have charged a euro a shot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi guys,
Am on Day 4 of my Camino. I'm currently in the fairly grim Pension Gernika after a very difficult days walk from Markina. My legs and feet are really suffering after the gruelling Deba-Markina stage.
I know it's about 30km to Bilbao tomorrow, where I plan to take a day's rest and then travel to Sarria to do the last 100km (that was my plan all along). My question is, compared to the last 2 days how difficult honestly is the stage tomorrow to Bilbao? If it gets too much are there buses in the villages along the way? Thank you. Forgive me if my tone is a little negative. Today is my first day of feeling lonely and I snapped at a peregrino today who took my photo as I huffed and puffed up a hill in spite of my signalling to him that I didn't want him to. It felt like an imvasion of privacy at a vulnerable moment and it put me in bad humour for the rest of the day.

The humour was already gone the moment you refused his photo request.
Its no big deal in the scheme of things.
If your hair etc looked terrible then so did every other pilgrim on that section over all the years. There will be nothing from Sarria that causes you stress like this section.

Just recently we stayed at Hotel Leku Eder , beside the car park after walking from the forest as you leave SS.
It was raining , the second day only since we left Moissac in France....7 weeks prior.
We had finished and decided to add a smile to the drenched peregrinos.
We took photos , game them fruit and sweets from the hotel [ the owner has walked many various caminos] and had great discussions....they had a rest.
We departed for home the next day and our minds were on these great kids/grandparents from all countries on the walk.
Keep your humour Maeve , its a very important asset.

Spend time doing things you enjoy with people who make you happy.
The more positive memories you make, the less significant the negative ones will seem in the long run.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It had nothing to do with my hair being a mess, would you have said that if I were a man?! ;)
It was because I didn't want to end up on a random blog.

Rest and make your decision in the morning.

I photograph Camino routes and have a website dedicated to the Camino. I don't as a rule photograph pilgrims (unless they are part of the bigger picture, the overall landscape) It think it is evading their privacy and I also believe it against the law in France and Spain and most European countries (except Ireland and England) unless permission is given. If you want a shot you ask permission (unfortunately the spontaneity of the shot is then lost).

Still learning how to use this forum on my iPhone. Thank you for everyone's advice!! :)
I ended up walking to Lezama (what a treat today in the sunshine) and bumped into some Camino friends on the way. I was up against it time-wise as I had to be in Bilbao at 6 because the man who owns the pension said so! I hopped on the bus in Lezama and here I am, fed and watered in Bilbao, what a gorgeous city. Only snag is, Guggenheim closed tomorrow!! Oh well, more time to eat :) x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Maeve. Not wanting to discourage you, but there is quite some climbing and descending tomorrow, especially the first part when leaving Guernika. I think it is 35 km to Bilbao from Gernika. You may consider walking to Lezama only (app 21 km) to save your feet and legs, and then do a shorter stage to Bilbao the day after, while still having enough time in Bilbao to have a rest day. I do not know too much about busses, but I know there are busses from Lezama to Bilbao (I saw many others taking a bus from there to Bilbao). Good luck !
Afrer Gernika there is a hostel Alto de Morga in the hills. Its only 5 km climbing after Gernika and so breaks up the trip to Lezama. Good Luck

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.