• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

get in shape for camino?

kiels29

Hi, I am trying to do some training beforehand so the first days of walking aren't too painful. I am just running 4 days a week and doing some weight training. Does anyone have suggestions for how to get ready physically? I will begin the trek in June.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You need to train for what you'll be doing. Unless you're planning on running the camino you should be looking how far you can walk.

Make sure you get in plenty of all-terrain walking, and when it gets nearer the time carry your rucksack with you so you can get used to it.

kiels29 said:
Hi, I am trying to do some training beforehand so the first days of walking aren't too painful. I am just running 4 days a week and doing some weight training. Does anyone have suggestions for how to get ready physically? I will begin the trek in June.

You're right to get in shape, but the most important things to ensure are that your boots are properly worn in and that you are accustomed to carrying your pack. I did a 4-day trial hike last September and found myself crippled by blisters (despite having walked a lot beforehand without my pack) and that my pack was too small for all I needed to carry. Good luck!
Richard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get in shape for El Camino

When we trained for El Camino, we included going up hills with rucksacks.

Steve

how important is the training? I am walking with my ruck sack to and from work. about 3 hours each day, if no more. but i'm not doing any hiking per se. A friend of mine that did the camino a couple of years ago said she really didn't do anything beforehand. she sort of jumped in without knowing what she was doing. And while she said it was hard in some parts, she survived!

So I guess I'm wondering how people who have done little training other than walking a bit more and wearing in boots have found the camino.

no need for too much extra training - just the ability to walk steadily for 4-8 hours a day without getting more than the occasional blister (hence the comfortable boots/shoes) whilst carrying the maximum of 7kgs or 10% body weight (hence carrying as little as possible)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Before walking the vdlp last year I did quite a bit of walking-about 15kms 3 times a week but made the mistake of doing it without a backpack. I had no problems with blisters but the pack wa a small one without a wide hip strap and even though it only weighed 6kgs I felt it on my shoulders.
I did met several people who "didn't have time" to walk before hand-one headed back home after 4 days with a swollen knee, another became incapacitated by a torn cartilege and another was laid up for a week with an blister that he ignored and became infected.
I too was a runner before I went and would not discount it-I think it gives you stamina and muscle tone which are all of benefit on the camino.

Agree with all and especially Omar's last post. I decided to 'train' by doing easy French bit (two weeks or so) before hitting mountains. All went rather well except got shin splint three days into the REALLY up and down of Spain and had to rest a day, then ok. For certain wear the pack if you are training. Also, it isn't that you can walk a 3 or 4 hours ok, it is walking hours every day in all climates and terrain day after day. I think camino veterans will agree that it is constant the day after day that will injure you so if your body, because of training, is flexi and limber the chances are less.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back