• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Get up petition - Camino upgrade in Galicia

Jan Jones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018, Norte, 2019, Camino Primitivo 2023
This petition popped up On my FB page today.

I’m interested in the views of anyone who is familiar with this issue. Some of the before after photos are possibly misleading given that they are taken in different seasons. Given the increased numbers in Pilgrims I’m particularly interested in whether the upgrades will actually prevent environmental degradation of the path , but I do appreciate the issue of integrity of the Way.

https://www.change.org/p/secretaria...orks-in-the-st-james-way-elcaminonosedestruye

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This petition popped up On my FB page today.

I’m interested in the views of anyone who is familiar with this issue. Some of the before after photos are possibly misleading given that they are taken in different seasons. Given the increased numbers in Pilgrims I’m particularly interested in whether the upgrades will actually prevent environmental degradation of the path , but I do appreciate the issue of integrity of the Way.

https://www.change.org/p/secretaria...orks-in-the-st-james-way-elcaminonosedestruye
Hi Jan ,
Already signed a while back .

Wish you well , Peter .

Sorry, but it's possible that you may never have walked in those sorts of locations under a heavy Galician rain, when those dirt paths transform into foul, muddy puddles.

I am strongly in favour of such changes in Galicia -- elsewhere on the Francès, I can see that there are both pros and cons to this sort of modernisation effort.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry, but it's possible that you may never have walked in those sorts of locations under a heavy Galician rain, when those dirt paths transform into foul, muddy puddles.

I am strongly in favour of such changes in Galicia -- elsewhere on the Francès, I can see that there are both pros and cons to this sort of modernisation effort.

Thanks for your response JabbaPappa, if you read my post that is why am asking for feedback rather than just signing in an uninformed flurry.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No Mette, although they do look as if they were, but different seasons. My post was to seek further information from others before I decide whether to sign the petition. I walked in April this year and didn’t find the track too bad. Some of the upgraded track in Galicia seemed to be well done, indeed much better than the n ew concrete path on the way out of Logrono .

No Mette, although they do look as if they were, but different seasons. My post was to seek further information from others before I decide whether to sign the petition. I walked in April this year and didn’t find the track too bad. Some of the upgraded track in Galicia seemed to be well done, indeed much better than the n ew concrete path on the way out of Logrono .
I would like to sign to if it’s correct. But the last 2 pictures don’t look like they are taken the same place or maybe I am just to suspicious 😒 hope someone knows more

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would like to sign to if it’s correct. But the last 2 pictures don’t look like they are taken the same place or maybe I am just to suspicious 😒 hope someone knows more

I started a thread a while back dealing with this issue. It is a real concern, and the pictures accurately represent what is happening.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-fills-the-camino-primitivo-in-galicia.41665/

I understand that trail safety and preventing erosion are legitimate concerns, but the overwhelming evidence I have seen is that the Xunta officials are wearing their engineering hat to the exclusion of their environmental or Camino hats. There appear to be alternative ways to maintain trails that are much more sensitive to the surroundings and more respectful of what was their before. The Xunta spends millions of euros a year promoting the camino, so it does not seem to be a financial question. The petition drive has been started, I believe, by FICS, the International, Spain-based camino organization. The accompanying information I received when the petition wound up in my inbox was that FICS started this drive because the formal complaints they have filed with both UNESCO and ICOMOS have not gotten any response.

In response to Tour groups ??????

Hello to everyone!

I am familiar with this issue and I am very happy I got to see this conversation so then I can shed light on it. First of all, this petition is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. The pictures shown parts of Primitive Route and are completely true. They show the same place, although they were taken in different seasons, but I can truly say this place will not ever be the same even in the same season. I utterly understand it seems UNBELIEVABLE, so then who sees it think of fake news. I wish with all my heart they were fake news. And every single day I wonder how this was/is permitted by UNESCO. FYI more construction works are planned along the Caminos in 2019 by Galician Government.

It is well known in Galicia we have rain most of the year. So I am very sorry for those who do not like to walk on muddy terrain. I guess also those did not like either to walk under the rain. If I can give a piece of advice: walk in summer. No rain, no mud. But let yourself consider that thanks to this rain Galicia is green. Thanks to this rain, Galicia has awesome rivers, waterfalls and magical forest we walk through on our way to Santiago. I could explain here something too to those who think Galicia has lovely spontaneously grown eucalyptus forests. Well, this is not true. I am very sure anyone who is interested in knowing what is going on this can find more information. (Sorry for interrupting here the main point).

To our surprise, the path shown was paved in September 2018 and it had no problem of muddy terrain at winter. We also know that when more pilgrims come to Santiago is in summer and we all know walking on pavement boil our feet.I don’t think that gravel, cement and graded aggregates could ease our feet and, to tell the truth, either our soul.

So apart from mud, why a path heritage has been destroyed? Re constructing a new one over it? Building ditches, sidewalks, alteration and gradient change?
Walking the same old paths others did since medieval times, the Jacobean roots that have been preserved for over 1200 years, integrating an exceptional natural landscape and material and immaterial heritage. Through those paths we are led to thousand years old graves, ancient hospitals, cathedrals, churches, monasteries, commemorative crosses, medieval bridges, Roman walls… It is History and paths are the connection among them.

Those who SIGNED THE PETITION received more real pictures. I attach some more here, just to those who are not really convinced this is true. And to be honest, those who are not familiar with the territory, arrive first time and everything seems wonderful. They think they are walking the historic itinerary. Pilgrims do not know the History of the locations they walk through. They were told just walk and get to Santiago. Dont care about anything else. Sad, very sad, from my opinion.

Lastly, and sorry for this long letter, I would like to mention politicians are saying this means "making positive improvements for pilgrimage". Full of hypocrisy. I never was such amazed by the category of our politicians.

FORO DO CAMIÑO PRIMITIVO is the platform that represents 30 organizations and experts on the Camino. They had lauched this petition and are taking this very serious. I wish all associations of the Camino would join for real and make pressure together. Now is the time to defend the Camino, not labeled with "Association of...".
If anyone is here able to help somehow, please feel free! All the best to everyone.

Leila.

PS. Farmers are not involved here. Tour groups neither. Even if they are turigrinos they come to walk on earth, natural and rural. Who wants to walk on the main road to Santiago is permitted, btw. I would like to know who is interested in spending 12 million Euro in 2019 for construction works on the footpath and, more important, to where this money goes. This is my question.

Attachments

• Camiño_4.png
    Camiño_4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Camiño_5.png
    Camiño_5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7213.JPG
    IMG_7213.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back