A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Get up petition - Camino upgrade in Galicia

Jan Jones

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2018
This petition popped up On my FB page today.

I’m interested in the views of anyone who is familiar with this issue. Some of the before after photos are possibly misleading given that they are taken in different seasons. Given the increased numbers in Pilgrims I’m particularly interested in whether the upgrades will actually prevent environmental degradation of the path , but I do appreciate the issue of integrity of the Way.

https://www.change.org/p/secretaria...orks-in-the-st-james-way-elcaminonosedestruye

Peter Fransiscus

Do good and good will come to you.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
This petition popped up On my FB page today.

I’m interested in the views of anyone who is familiar with this issue. Some of the before after photos are possibly misleading given that they are taken in different seasons. Given the increased numbers in Pilgrims I’m particularly interested in whether the upgrades will actually prevent environmental degradation of the path , but I do appreciate the issue of integrity of the Way.

https://www.change.org/p/secretaria...orks-in-the-st-james-way-elcaminonosedestruye
Hi Jan ,
Already signed a while back .

Wish you well , Peter .

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Sorry, but it's possible that you may never have walked in those sorts of locations under a heavy Galician rain, when those dirt paths transform into foul, muddy puddles.

I am strongly in favour of such changes in Galicia -- elsewhere on the Francès, I can see that there are both pros and cons to this sort of modernisation effort.

Jan Jones

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2018
Sorry, but it's possible that you may never have walked in those sorts of locations under a heavy Galician rain, when those dirt paths transform into foul, muddy puddles.

I am strongly in favour of such changes in Galicia -- elsewhere on the Francès, I can see that there are both pros and cons to this sort of modernisation effort.

Jan Jones

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2018
Thanks for your response JabbaPappa, if you read my post that is why am asking for feedback rather than just signing in an uninformed flurry.

Jan Jones

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2018
No Mette, although they do look as if they were, but different seasons. My post was to seek further information from others before I decide whether to sign the petition. I walked in April this year and didn’t find the track too bad. Some of the upgraded track in Galicia seemed to be well done, indeed much better than the n ew concrete path on the way out of Logrono .

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Invierno (2019)
Camino Frances (2021)
No Mette, although they do look as if they were, but different seasons. My post was to seek further information from others before I decide whether to sign the petition. I walked in April this year and didn’t find the track too bad. Some of the upgraded track in Galicia seemed to be well done, indeed much better than the n ew concrete path on the way out of Logrono .
I would like to sign to if it’s correct. But the last 2 pictures don’t look like they are taken the same place or maybe I am just to suspicious 😒 hope someone knows more

I would like to sign to if it’s correct. But the last 2 pictures don’t look like they are taken the same place or maybe I am just to suspicious 😒 hope someone knows more
I started a thread a while back dealing with this issue. It is a real concern, and the pictures accurately represent what is happening.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-fills-the-camino-primitivo-in-galicia.41665/

I understand that trail safety and preventing erosion are legitimate concerns, but the overwhelming evidence I have seen is that the Xunta officials are wearing their engineering hat to the exclusion of their environmental or Camino hats. There appear to be alternative ways to maintain trails that are much more sensitive to the surroundings and more respectful of what was their before. The Xunta spends millions of euros a year promoting the camino, so it does not seem to be a financial question. The petition drive has been started, I believe, by FICS, the International, Spain-based camino organization. The accompanying information I received when the petition wound up in my inbox was that FICS started this drive because the formal complaints they have filed with both UNESCO and ICOMOS have not gotten any response.

Thornley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances [08 ]Portuguese [09 ]Le Puy[10] Norte[ 11] Madrid [12] Figeac - Pamplona [13] Mont Saint Michel - Bordeaux / St Palais - Pamplona [14] Moissac -Burgos [15] , Norte to Oviedo and then Primitivo [16]
Le Puy to Moissac and Dax to Santo Domingo
In response to Tour groups ??????

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 187 24.6%